Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Scott f.  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2019 01:08:16(UTC)
Scott f.

Hello all,
I'm relatively new to marklin ho. I have recently restored my father's old marklin ho layout to full operation. I had so much fun I built another one of my own. So I now have two in my home. I learned a great deal.
I did a quick read also nothing too detailed regarding running digital on am analog layout, when I saw its possible I made a purchase. Rookie mistake I know. I cautioned myself and have not tried to run it yet. Based on a few things I've read here.
My layouts have the old 70s transformers.
Any tips? And any advice before I run this new locomotive?
Thank you
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2019 02:53:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You can run digital locos on an analog layout, but you do need to be careful when using old transformers as the reversing pulse from the old transformers can be enough to toast the decoder in a digital loco.

This has been discussed in the forum many times and there are lots of reasons why this might be an issue. You should be able to find those threads using the forum's search function.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2019 04:13:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
its nice to have antiquity but when it comes to transformers you have to be careful and I personally think its not worth the risk and buy a new one and you can be assured nothing can go wrong with it. , all you have to weigh up the cost of injury, death or fried decoder and you soon will realize a new transformer far outweighs the sentimental value BigGrin

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline IanC  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2019 12:34:53(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Suggest you run separate circuits or layouts for digital and analogue. Keep them electrically insulated from each other so not connected at points etc. But you could run for example analogue on an outer circuit and digital on the inner track.
Analogue running on digital works OK but only has one uncontrollable speed - fast!

IanC
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2019 22:45:34(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
HI Scot. I have had marklin for years, and in about 1999, I bought a few new locos that were digital. I didn't have a digital controller, just the old blue transformers from the 50's. I ran my digital locos every now and again on my M track. My set up has three circuits that are insulated from each other so I could use three trannies to control the separate circuits. I found this forum maybe 4 years ago and read the comments about only using the latest white trannies. I had a whoops moment when I read that, so one day, I saw a Delta set offered for sale, and bought it. I was lucky as a previous owner had converted the BR41 to full digital. I then ran my digital locos with the delta controller. [ I did have trouble though and when setting the switches, I was looking at the decoder upside down so set them back to front ].
Later on , say 3 years ago, I bought an MS2. I ran both inner circuits on the MS2 and the out circuit with my analogue tranny. One day, I had a pair of BR23's trundling around the outer circuit and then at one point, my MS2 hic cupped. I looked around and saw the two Br23's had run off the analogue circuit and trundled through the digital circuit and back onto the analogue circuit. That must have given the MS2 a fright , [ and meScared ] so I remembered someone on the forum talking about rockers between circuits. I experimented and found if I glued the equivalent of match sticks on the joins between circuits, the pick up shoes had to ride up over them and hence never touch both circuits at the same time.
Two years ago, I bought another MS2 so I could control more locos independently. I ran them independently for some time then, with help from Adrian [XXUP] I ran them together through the same tack box. That was the best thing I had done so far and is really great for controlling more locos.BigGrin

Originally, after looking at the earlier digital controllers with all those buttons on them, it put me off [ I am slightly dyslexic maybe ]. The MS2 is easy to operate and a good start in digital. I still run the points/switches through the analogue system though as I think the MS2 system is a bit complicated for my brain. The analogue system is a lot cheaper as well although there are lots more wires under my layout [ bloody birds nest if you ask meWoot ].

something for you to think about.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Jabez  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2019 00:41:41(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I think that running analogue in the age of digital is not like driving a model T in the age of say Lexus, which may have its charms, but more like choosing to run your computer today on DOS.
Of course, if you have an extensive collection of analogue locos then it is sensible to retain a system in which they can be used, but if you are starting, or restarting like Scott F.. then digital should be what you aim at rather than trying to continue with legacy analogue.
All you analogue fans out there, don't be too hard on me
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 25 April 2019 08:13:08(UTC)
H0

If you can get an MS1 for a good price (€20 or less) then it definitely is worth a try. If you find that digital is not for you, you only lose a small amount.
If you later decide to go for a better controller (MS2 for €60+ or even a more expensive system) you only lose a small amount again.
And the MS1 can still be used as a throttle with CS1, CS2, CS3, or ECoS so it can still be used if you upgrade to a really big controller later.

So far I had one MS1 and one MS2 fail. Both failed during the warranty period and were replaced by Märklin.

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I found this forum maybe 4 years ago and read the comments about only using the latest white trannies.
The decoders that are at high risk with blue transformers were sold from 2005 until about 2012 or so.
The 1999 DIP-switch decoders were constructed with blue transformers in mind and are not generally at risk.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark_1602  
#8 Posted : 25 April 2019 22:08:45(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
I think that running analogue in the age of digital is [...] more like choosing to run your computer today on DOS.

Jabez

No, it's not. You don't need a computer to run an analogue loco. It's mainly about choosing to go vintage, which has some advantages.

I bought a digital alarm clock, but it stopped working after two weeks. Now I have an analogue one because it works every time as long as the battery isn't empty. I used to have a Nikon FM2 camera with Nikkor lenses: all mechanical, works at any temperature, +40 or -40°C, 0% or 100% humidity. I only sold it because Kodak stopped selling the Kodakchrome slide film, whose colours last for 50 to 100 years. Sales of vinyl records are on the increase (better sound quality), and vintage cars are very popular right now. Very expensive watches are analogue too.

Recently, there was an article in The Times about a survey that found out that even Millennials (born after 1980) actually like vintage automobiles from the 1960s or 1970s despite the fact that they do not have any memories of that period. Vintage items are still popular and often easier to use.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline HO Collector  
#9 Posted : 27 April 2019 20:55:16(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I experimented and found if I glued the equivalent of match sticks on the joins between circuits, the pick up shoes had to ride up over them and hence never touch both circuits at the same time.

This is a great idea, never thought of it.

Mark 1602
Quote:
I used to have a Nikon FM2 camera with Nikkor lenses: all mechanical, works at any temperature, +40 or -40°C, 0% or 100% humidity. I only sold it because Kodak stopped selling the Kodakchrome slide film

I still have my FM and E bodies + the Nikkor lenses. Fugi still produce 35mm for colour prints. I used the Kodak for colour and Ilford for B&W.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector