Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ark_42  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2019 21:50:46(UTC)
Ark_42

United Kingdom   
Hi,
I've been buying Marklin HO AC locos recently and by accident I bought one that appears to have a decoder in it ( no obvious type marking ) which has sound as well.
The Loco is either a 37868 or 37866 HO gauge Marklin 3 rail SBB CFF RBe2/4 but I can't find a photo or description of the decoder in question thought the marklin site ( https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/37866/ ) lists it as a part number 135443.
I'm wondering what is the simplest controller I can get to try this loco out without spending too much money, as I'm really only interested in Analogue at the moment ( but that may change )

Any advice would be most helpful

Thanks

Ark_42
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2019 22:42:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ark_42 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I've been buying Marklin HO AC locos recently and by accident I bought one that appears to have a decoder in it ( no obvious type marking ) which has sound as well.
The Loco is either a 37868 or 37866 HO gauge Marklin 3 rail SBB CFF RBe2/4 but I can't find a photo or description of the decoder in question thought the marklin site ( https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/37866/ ) lists it as a part number 135443.
I'm wondering what is the simplest controller I can get to try this loco out without spending too much money, as I'm really only interested in Analogue at the moment ( but that may change )

Any advice would be most helpful

Thanks

Ark_42

On the assumption that you already have a transformer to operate them in analogue mode then the simplest way to run it in digital is to get a delta control. However this is very minimal, and the only function yu will be able to control is the headlight, and the controller can only select one of four addresses.

For a loco with a sound decoder i would recommend finding an ms2 controller. This will allow you to control up to 16 functions if the loco has that many available.

You mention the loco as possibly being a 37868, and if so then it has an mfx decoder and the Marklin product page I linked lists 15 available functions. To get the most out of this model you should get an ms2 controller (which will also require a track interface box and different power supply to the transformer you currently have).

The other catalog number you list, 37866 also comes with an mfx decoder but the product page lists only 5 functions. However it should also have come with a boxcar. The other difference is the 37868 comes with passengers which the 37866 doesn't have. For this model you could control all the functions with a 6021 control unit which you could use with your existing transformer. However these units seem to have a collectors value and attract prices that seem to be rather high considering their age and useability.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 21 April 2019 23:38:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The MS2 (Mobile Station 2) is the controller that fits your requirements.

Don't even think about a Delta controller, it can't even control the sound functions on your loco so would be useless for you.

You can get the MS2 from your Marklin Dealer, or off ebay where dealers are selling them out of broken up starter sets. Usually they come with the track box, power supply and all necessary cables. The track box output wires have lugs for fitting on to C track, so I'm assuming that is what you're using. If not, you might need to make some modifications to make the output wires fit M or K track.

Keep in mind that if you have your analog locos on the track at the same time you run your digital loco, the analog locos will take off at full speed, as the MS2 puts a constant 16 - 18 volts on the track.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Ark_42  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2019 10:50:24(UTC)
Ark_42

United Kingdom   
@ kiwiAlan - thanks for that info about the passengers which mine has, making it the 37868.
To both replies - looks like the MS2 + bits is what I need, however new is more than I wanted to spend at present so I'll keep an eye out for a used one
Thanks for your advice
Ark_42
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2019 11:28:48(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

You could do almost the same with a MS1 ( 60652 ) including trackbox, an older controller which can only control 8 functions + light.

Note that the trackbox is not the same as for the MS2.

Usually a used MS1 can be found much cheaper than a MS2.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Ark_42  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2019 15:00:51(UTC)
Ark_42

United Kingdom   
Thanks for that, a secondhand MS1 is much more in my price range and would let me check out the loco and some functions which is all I want for a start.
That would also let me try a few simple digital locos in the future.
Ark_42
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2019 16:16:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Maybe consider a Marklin start set with the MS2 and a loco etc. More expensive but gives you everything plus a two year warranty which you wont get with a S/H MS1.

My view is always to buy the right thing first which can save in the long term.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Joe Meiring  
#8 Posted : 22 April 2019 18:48:44(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Indeed, the start sets are good value for money....🚂👌🚂
Joe M
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 22 April 2019 21:19:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Maybe consider a Marklin start set with the MS2 and a loco etc. More expensive but gives you everything plus a two year warranty which you wont get with a S/H MS1.

My view is always to buy the right thing first which can save in the long term.

If you don't want to get a full start set then consider the 29000 set which has an oval of C track with R2 radius and a complete ms2 set up. It is designed as an upgrade/expansion set for someone who already has a start set.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 23 April 2019 01:26:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for that, a secondhand MS1 is much more in my price range and would let me check out the loco and some functions which is all I want for a start.
Ark_42

Buying a MS 1 with a track box today is cheaper!? Well of course, because it is electronic scrap which nobody will buy. Just ask yourself, will you buy a computer today with a Windows Millenium operating system? It still will run too and is cheap, but nobody supports it any longer.

On the other hand, I still keep a computer (as a single stand alone) with Windows 98 on it. Sometimes I use it, because it has floppy disk drives for 5 1/4", 3,5" as well as an USB device. So I am quite felxible in data tranfers from old, superseded computer technology.

If you do not operate a museum, it is wasted money. Try to reconsider your budget and get a actual modern solution. At the end of the day, it is cheaper.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 23 April 2019 02:46:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The MS1's were prone to failing, so you need to make sure anything you purchased is working fully. I have one in which the track output has failed, but it still works OK as a slave controller to a Central Station, so if someone says they don't know if it works, watch out.

There were 2 types of MS1, one had 1.2amp track output the other 1.9amp track output - I can't remember how to tell the difference - a forum search should reveal that info, but you may be able to see the details in the MS1 info screen.

The 'ugly box' track connector that the MS1 uses is for C track only, if you are using M or K track then you will need to run wires from the backside of the 'ugly box' to your track.
Offline Ark_42  
#12 Posted : 23 April 2019 10:55:14(UTC)
Ark_42

United Kingdom   
Actually I'm almost running a "museum" BigGrin as I run old AC analog on M track, I enjoy keeping the old, beautifully made loco's ( some as old as me ! ) running.
I purchased the loco in question without realising it was digital ( nothing in the Ebay listing indicated that, and I should have done more research ) I just liked the look of it.
Now I have it I want to see what it's like in the cheapest way so I'll go for the MS1 but will heed the warnings you guys have mentioned.
I don't intend to run it on the main layout, but may have just a short seperate section for it if it seems worth it in the long run.
Thanks for all the advice.
Ark_42
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ark_42
Offline dominator  
#13 Posted : 25 April 2019 07:00:13(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
WATCH OUT Ark_42. You might get hooked. See my take on your situation. https://www.marklin-user...running-on-analog-layout
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 25 April 2019 07:50:37(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Ark_42

Buying a MS 1 with a track box today is cheaper!? Well of course, because it is electronic scrap which nobody will buy. Just ask yourself, will you buy a computer today with a Windows Millenium operating system? It still will run too and is cheap, but nobody supports it any longer.

On the other hand, I still keep a computer (as a single stand alone) with Windows 98 on it. Sometimes I use it, because it has floppy disk drives for 5 1/4", 3,5" as well as an USB device. So I am quite felxible in data tranfers from old, superseded computer technology.

If you do not operate a museum, it is wasted money. Try to reconsider your budget and get a actual modern solution. At the end of the day, it is cheaper.

It's interesting the different perspectives on this. Personally, I don't really agree with the Computer analogy because the intended use is not the same.

If you just wanted to run classic digital simply with no bells and whistles then a 6021 would still be fine.

Likewise, if you just want to listen to the radio, a 30 or 40 year old transistor radio will do just fine, and you can pick one up cheap as chips.

ANd you can drive to the corner shop in a 50-year old banger just as easily as in a new car, perhaps not as comfortably but it will do the job.

The MS1 does basic digital control, just as it was designed to do, is available cheap as chips and for some people would be a perfect entry to decide whether to go further or be content with what what they have. Especially if they are on a budget, it could be very economical.

I do also use an old Laptop (with Vista) for a specific purpose but would not bother going on the internet with it mainly because of security risks.

The MS1 has no such issues, it still does exactly what it was designed to do so I would not discount the option too quickly just on the basis of being superseded.

Just my .02c worth
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 25 April 2019 08:19:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
With an MS1 one can cheaply evaluate digital operations.
It's not state of the art and an MS2 has more capabilities, but the MS1 still works fine.

My cheapest MS1 from a starter set was around €14 - new from dealer with full warranty. They are cheap because huge amounts were dumped into the market with cheap starter sets. A low price does not make it useless.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline rrf  
#16 Posted : 25 April 2019 12:46:34(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

My experience with Märklin Digital controllers started with the MS1. I eventually upgraded to an MS2 and only recently purchased my CS3+. I still use all three controllers so I can provide a quick "compare and contrast".

I agree with Cookee that the MS1 is an excellent option if all one wishes to do is control digital loks. I use mine every year for our family's Holiday layouts. Recently I ran across the restriction that it can only handle digital addresses 1 thru 80. Having used some addresses in the 90s range with my MS2, I was reminded of this when I could not run those loks under our Christmas tree.

After a few happy years of running trains with my MS1, I decided that I wanted to control switches and signals digitally so I purchased a starter set with an MS2. While the MS2 turned out to be an excellent train controller, I found it to be rather cumbersome for switch and signal control. More often than not, I changed switches on my layout manually. Since I mostly use signals for automated train control, I had to use analog methods as the MS2 does not support any track feedback or automated control mechanisms.

Now that I have had my CS3+ for a few months, I really do regret not getting it sooner. The usability of the track board with touch screen control for solenoid accessories is a stark contrast to the MS2. Plus I can now use the S88 Feedback module to implement automated route control. That said, the cost of the jump from lok control with an MSx to full digital control with a CSx is rather significant. It took me five plus years to finally make the jump at the approximate cost of four new digital loks (CS3+, S88, M83, M84, etc.) So if all you want is to control a handful of older models, IMHO the MS1 is a reasonable choice at a very attractive price point.

Hope this helps a bit,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rrf