Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2019 05:24:10(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Review of the MBZ 'Kapelle' laser-cut kit (Nr. 16099):

900_MBZ-16099 email large.jpg

Standard laser cut kit with multiple sheets that are detached with an Exacto knife. You'll need a magnifier for this one!

This was quite an interesting structure to build. Since the laser cut cardboard is all the same thickness, to obtain any appreciable height one must glue multiple very small pieces on top of one another and make sure that they are all properly aligned as seen in this assembly view:

MBZ Kapelle Large Email.jpg

The trick here was to keep very organized and make sure that all the numbered pieces were in the correct assembly sequence. The top arches of the bell tower required some massaging and 'Feingefühl' (delicate touch) to create the arched structure. Some of the pieces are really small, so assembling this inside something like a white tray is a good idea (I used a typical letter sized piece of paper and created a 'tray' by bending up the four sides by ~3/4" and taping the corners shut).

The color finish provided by the kit is rather nice, actually, and I could see people rolling with it 'as is'. However, it's a bit too light for my tastes so a bit of darkening and weathering and here it is:

MBZ 16099 Kapelle_20190315.jpg

Size: 59 mm x 38 mm x 63 mm (2-5/26" x 1-1/2" x 2-15/32")

Two things that I couldn't find in the kit are the two front decorative spheres (shown in the manufacturer's photo up top) and the bell that should reside in the bell tower. Not a big deal as I'm sure I can find something around the house that I can make to work. The very delicate Cross for the top will only be installed once the chapel is permanently placed on the layout.

All-in-all, a great design that I'd highly recommend to someone with some kit building experience.

Ralph.

Edited by user 30 March 2019 05:03:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bahner