Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mjmonjure  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2019 03:19:54(UTC)
mjmonjure

United States   
Hoping someone can offer advise on the following problem.

After the recent CS3 upgrade, my 1928 Rheingold set, equipped with a baggage car which plays various sounds, has decided to play at least 3 station announcements simultaneously on power up of the CS3 (turning the stop off from restart or start up). I have tried in the edit mode (configuration) resetting the loco (of course it's not a loco). I toyed around with the CV setting under each of the functions (sound icons), but nothing seems to get it to stop this behavior. I have set all of the sounds to momentary as a test, but with either momentary or switched, they have the same behavior. When viewing the icons in run mode, they are yellow as opposed to white. If they are white they behave properly, play sound while momentarily changing color to yellow then they go back to white. What I want to do, I think, is to get the ones that are yellow, to be white, so that they toggle back to white. I think if this is possible, the decoder won't play them all at the same time on start up. I just can't figure out where in the configuration to do this.

Thanks for any help. Happy to supply more info.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2019 15:22:15(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
disconnect the speaker?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2019 17:09:09(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: mjmonjure Go to Quoted Post
Hoping someone can offer advise on the following problem.

After the recent CS3 upgrade, my 1928 Rheingold set, equipped with a baggage car which plays various sounds, has decided to play at least 3 station announcements simultaneously on power up of the CS3 (turning the stop off from restart or start up). I have tried in the edit mode (configuration) resetting the loco (of course it's not a loco). I toyed around with the CV setting under each of the functions (sound icons), but nothing seems to get it to stop this behavior. I have set all of the sounds to momentary as a test, but with either momentary or switched, they have the same behavior. When viewing the icons in run mode, they are yellow as opposed to white. If they are white they behave properly, play sound while momentarily changing color to yellow then they go back to white. What I want to do, I think, is to get the ones that are yellow, to be white, so that they toggle back to white. I think if this is possible, the decoder won't play them all at the same time on start up. I just can't figure out where in the configuration to do this.

Thanks for any help. Happy to supply more info.

Did you tried to clean out the Rheingold in the system?
Try this:
After you did cleaned out the Rheingold in the CS3, restart your system and put the Rheingold back on the track again and let´s see if it register without problem.
If the sounds still keep on you have defaults in the sound decoder or there is bug in the system.
I did had similar same problem with the Trix bayern steam locomotive.
The sounds did keep on yet i did switch off the button in the MS2.
I did clean out the locomotive in the list and tried to register again but the same problem was there and it was default in the decoder.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mjmonjure  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2019 17:39:39(UTC)
mjmonjure

United States   
Thanks for the information. Strange thing is that it was working properly both with Mobile station and CS3 (initially), so I don't think it's the decoder default. I will keep trying and post back if I get a solution.
Online kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2019 20:27:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the information. Strange thing is that it was working properly both with Mobile station and CS3 (initially), so I don't think it's the decoder default. I will keep trying and post back if I get a solution.

When goofy says default he means Fault.

I think you should email marklin service with a description of your problem to see if it is a known problem with this decoder. It may be that the decoder needs a software update to correct the problem, however no-one else seems to have had the same problem.

Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 23 March 2019 21:34:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
One thing that you could try is to place the coach on an analog track. Let it sit under power.
Turn off the power and then place the coach back on the digital track.
See if it continues to have the problem or whether it now operates as it should.

One other thing that you could check. Under MM/MFX, decoders have available second and some times third addresses.
If the CS3 is detecting the coach as MM or MFX, sounds which might be assigned to the second or third addresses might be active.
Usually the second address is the next one (eg lok is 03, second address is 04). Check to make sure that the sound functions for address 04 (or equivalent) are off.
If you can read the decoder, it usually lets you know if additional addresses are selected/active.

Before you send a message to service(at)maerklin.de, try sending a message to digital(at)marklin.com and see if they can help.

Regards

Mike C
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 24 March 2019 00:11:51(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Before you send a message to service(at)maerklin.de, try sending a message to digital(at)marklin.com and see if they can help.

Regards

Mike C

Good advice. It definitely sounds like a software and not a hardware problem to me, and I am a software guy. Cool

I have seen function settings from adjacent decoders change them on my primary target loco which to me seemed like a pretty big deal. The incorrect setting of next address sharing is most likely the culprit I suspect, but I have never knowingly set that feature. The next time I see that happen I will have to investigate. I have seen other CS2 settings change without my intervention, like which power source I am using and not just when doing updates.

If it were my coach I would do exactly what Mike suggests - contact their digital department and see if they can help. Since it is most likely either software or configuration settings at fault this seems like a perfect candidate for fixing it in software and not shipping the hardware around the globe for no real reason. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline mjmonjure  
#8 Posted : 24 March 2019 02:16:15(UTC)
mjmonjure

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

When goofy says default he means Fault.

I think you should email marklin service with a description of your problem to see if it is a known problem with this decoder. It may be that the decoder needs a software update to correct the problem, however no-one else seems to have had the same problem.

Alright, I will at least try putting it back on the MS2 to see if I get the same behavior. If it works, that will be conclusive evidence that the problem lies in the CS3. Just have to figure out which box I put that in after I got the shiny new CS3 :-)
Offline mjmonjure  
#9 Posted : 24 March 2019 02:19:05(UTC)
mjmonjure

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
One thing that you could try is to place the coach on an analog track. Let it sit under power.
Turn off the power and then place the coach back on the digital track.
See if it continues to have the problem or whether it now operates as it should.

One other thing that you could check. Under MM/MFX, decoders have available second and some times third addresses.
If the CS3 is detecting the coach as MM or MFX, sounds which might be assigned to the second or third addresses might be active.
Usually the second address is the next one (eg lok is 03, second address is 04). Check to make sure that the sound functions for address 04 (or equivalent) are off.
If you can read the decoder, it usually lets you know if additional addresses are selected/active.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike, I will poke around these settings, not very intuitive navigation, to see if I can find multiple addressing.