Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2006 12:50:57(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

(was threat: Auto reverse with Marklin AC)

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: People say the delta control generates the same
digital voltage as the 6021. How come led's does not blink with these
and does with the MS ?
I hope that I can get into that question a bit in the next few week.

I do not expect voltage differences to be an issue. With non-continuous signals (like digitally modulated signals), LEDs have a higher tendency to flicker than incandescent lamps (bulb lights), because the latter take more time to go out. Nevertheless, I noticed some flickering in coaches with incandescent lamps too. The digital signal has a rather high frequency too, much higher than the 50 Hertz from regular AC. One would then not expect lights to flicker. Still they do.

It could be, that there is a considerable time of non-activity (in which the digital controller does NOT send out any data), and the signal stays at negative DC. I don't know whether the protocol set a maximum to that, and after that time the controller must send out something (even if it were a useless message). And maybe the different controllers (MS, 6021, Delta) are different in that sense.

One solution is to rectify the signal in each lighted coach (or sets of connected coaches) and make it DC, and then add a capacitor. So you have nice DC, without too much ripples.

Actually, that is what M* itself advices for head lights in trains when converting them to digital: by not connecting the light to the chassis, but to a rectified DC power source on the digital decoder print, the light stop to flicker.

Anyone has gotten more into this? Is my hypothesis about the digital signal right, or not?
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2006 13:45:06(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Flickering normally occurs if the function/lamp return goes to chassis, which is the same as rail ponential, but not the same as decoder ground.

In this case lamps will be on when the digital signal is -20 V, and (near) off when it is +20V. So what decides the amount of flickering is how much of the time the digital signal is +20V.

If you run Delta with only one Loco, the digital signal stays -20 V most of the time; therefore you might not notice the flickering. With more locos, DCC signals (as in Intellibox) and other signals as mfx, the flickering might be more noticable.

Rectifying and using a capacitator will work; but AFAIK also using double diodes on the return of the lamps, so that current may flow from either the wheels or the slider (Yes, what is called function return, actually feeds the lamps with current; the + and - are switched from what you expect).

/Lars
Offline Guus  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2006 13:48:47(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Rudi,

Interesting question.
Regretably I lack the theoretical knowledge to support your findings on this matter.
I'm sure however there must be someone among us who does.
From experience I can tell that the headlights on my Ae 3/6 37510 definitely flicker more on the MS signal than on the "old" CS protocol.
So my guess is that you're right.
I presume you have already seen various solutions to solve this problem,nevertheless I'll post the links to the sites I've found:

http://hgh-esn.ath.cx/index.htm
http://www.x-train.de/
http://www.pallund.dk/

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Bill Marklin  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2006 14:33:07(UTC)
Bill Marklin

Hallo guysCool,

yes, that was my question.
and yes, Rudy and Lars:
I think you are right:
that the Delta Control
and the 6021 (with the old Motorola)
stays at -20 Volts most of the time.
That explains the flickering with the MS.

This all means, of course, to
avoid flickering lights,
that all the lights and led's
should be off of ground.
Return with the orange wire.

Greetings
Bill
K-Rail layout wth DC,
Delta Control and C-rail layout with Mobile Station
Offline McLae  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2006 14:47:07(UTC)
McLae

As I understand it, LED lights are only on when the current flows one way. (Never know + or -, so I will pick -)
Incandesent lights are on when the current flows either way.
When you switch to Digital, the decoder has an internal rectifier. Lights connected to chassie ground only get power when AC current is -, not when current is +. For 1/2 of the AC 50/60Hz cycle, the LED is off.
Connecting to decoder ground, the light gets power both when AC current is + and -, which is 2X what you get with chassie ground. The light is then on twice in the 50/60Hz cycle.

I can explain this better with diagrams on a white board, but the central idea is: connecting lights to decoder ground instead of chassie ground makes LED lights be on twice as much (brighter) and flicker twice as fast (less visible).
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline al_pignolo  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2006 15:54:17(UTC)
al_pignolo

sorry if I go a little off-topic. It happens to me to have lights that flicker in intensity (they don't turn off completely!) approx. twice in a second with an Uhl 76220 decoder. It happens both with lightbulbs and LEDs. Someone knows why?

Thank you!
Offline hmsfix  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2006 18:43:28(UTC)
hmsfix

There are several reasons of flickering, and you have most of them explained in the above posts:

1. Very intense flicker if you connect the light to the decoder output and ground. This has to do with the fact that the positve pulses of the digital voltage are swallowed by the rectifier.

2. Even if you connect the bulb not to the ground but to the orange wire of the decoder, lights still flickers a little (with almost 50 / 60 Hz, additional 2 Hz flicker see below): this is because the rectifier diodes, even if in a full bridge rectifier circuit, are less effective w rapid polarity swaps as compared to continuous voltage. This is due to the fact that most diodes need a few 100 ns to close when a reverse voltage is applied. So the output voltage of the rectifier is a little smaller when a digital pulse is at the input, in spite of the fact that the input voltage switches between +20 and -20 volts .

3. finally, this slow flickering with ~2 Hz that al_pignolo has described: I suppose this has to do that the the CU (as any other digital control station) sends sequences of digital pulses at certain times, e.g. every 10 ms in average. These sequences, however, are not completely uniformly distributed, sometimes the breaks are between two sequences are slightly longer. In such a longer break the lights are a little brighter than usual.

Sorry for being a little lengthy. To make a short conclusion: add a capacitor (~100 µF) at the light bulb to remove it (or at least reduce it).

Finally a sophisticated solution for absolutely perfect lighting: insert a voltage stabilizer chip (e.g. a 7812 which deliveres 12 V, costs ~30 ct)

Hans Martin
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2006 10:55:18(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi Hans, others,

That all sound sensible. Let me try to add one or two things.

- Indeed, the diodes might be a bit slow with signals that change polarity as often as the protocol in question does. So it might be a good idea to use fast diodes, such as Schottky ones (I think used the 1N5819 or BS130 for this, though I not sure anymore).

- Use bridge rectifiers where possible. This may be, however, less practical when lighting sets of coaches that are connected by conductive couplers. At least, I usually try to have ground pickups installed in several cars, to improve contact. (Trick: one could still do that by having a full bridge rectifier in the car that has the pickup shoe, and half a bridge rectifier in each car….)

- Again, adding capacitors and possible the use of voltage regulators (eg. 7812) can further help. Indeed, I work on a current coach lighting project that I hope to report on later on, that uses that (plus other things) in very car.

Still, there are things I do not understand. I use digital braking sections in my layout. These are fed by negative DC, generated by a single rectifier (using a fast Schottky diode) plus a 470 uF capacitor. (using a bridge rectifier here is impossible as the braking section shares the same return rail as the rest of the layout). But I noticed that lighted coaches in that braking section still flicker! I hope to have time soon to study the signal on that section. Is the capacitor too small? I would tend to doubt that, given the short periods of the signals.

Of course, I could always add another ‘perfect’ DC power supply to feed just the braking sections. For a few bucks you can but a 13.8 V regulated ‘lab power supply’ of more than sufficient power. (In fact, I have thought of doing this before just to reduce the power draw on the main line as on average more than half of the power consumers such as lighted coaches are in braking areas, not actually running).

But I would prefer to find out why the flickering is there in the first place!

I’ll keep you updated of my findings, and appreciate other people’s ideas and observations.

Finally, it would be nice to find out the exact signals generated by the various controllers (6021, Delta, Delta 4f, MS, CS). What are their silent periods when there are no new commands? And how is their ratio between + and – in different situations? Some people suggested that once you have many locomotives in use, the signal will be more often positive than with a single train. I’m not sure. As long as there are no new commands to be sent to loco’s, would there be any difference? Does the system actually repeat messages at regular intervals to all trains? Or does it just send out a message with no real content after a time out? To find out more, we would either need a good description of the protocol or its implementations in the various devices, and/pr somebody doing some measurements with a sampling oscilloscope. I know that these days, sampling or memory oscilloscopes on the basis of a PC are rather affordable, but I do not want to buy one just for this single measurement ;-)

Sorry for the much too long mail (no, I am not bored, I do have other things to do - oo many in fact!!!)

cheers rudi
Offline Guus  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2006 11:43:43(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Rudi,Hans Martin,Lars,hi all,

Rudi and Hans Martin you're not boring nor lengthy at all.
This is very interesting reading if you ask me.I hope I'm speaking on behalf of more forum readers when I say this all adds to our collective knowledge and understanding of the electronic aspects of our hobby.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by Hans Martin:Finally a sophisticated solution for absolutely perfect lighting: insert a voltage stabilizer chip (e.g. a 7812 which deliveres 12 V, costs ~30 ct)

It's beyond me why M doesn't put such a chip in every digital loco.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2006 12:03:51(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: It's beyond me why M doesn't put such a chip in every digital loco.

Well, the decoder in the loco's is already fine. When connected properly, the head lights of loco's do not flicker at all.

The problem is more when you have lights installed in coaches and so on. Maybe we could convince M* to develop more advanced, nonflickering light sets. But that will very likely result in higher prices, and it might be difficult to adapt that to different coaches. So here their might be some work for us, hobbyists.

I would definately appreciate it, however, if M* would start putting conductive couplers on all its loco's. However, to have non-flickering lights, it would be necessary to have two-conductor couplers and M* just added a single conductor coupler to its program....
Offline Guus  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2006 13:04:10(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:originally posted by Rudi:Well, the decoder in the loco's is already fine. When connected properly, the head lights of loco's do not flicker at all.

Thanks for the info Rudi.
So this means my loco might be faulty [:0]
I've always taken the flickering headlights for granted ,as part of the design so to speak.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline al_pignolo  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2006 22:03:20(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: add a capacitor (~100 µF) at the light bulb to remove it (or at least reduce it).

Thank you for your answers. But can I use a "normal" electrolitic capacitor, (since the current in the lights there is a digital signal, so it's AC) or I have to insert 2 capacitors in anti-parallel to prevent damages?

Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#13 Posted : 24 February 2006 22:15:43(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: But can I use a "normal" electrolitic capacitor [...]
Hi al_pignolo, you should ALWAYS use a diode, and then add the capacitor after it. Then you have DC, and then there is no problem at all using a simple electrolyt capacitor (these are well-known types of capacitors that have a polarity, so a "plus" and a "minus" so to speak).

Using a capacitor WITHOUT a diode is not a very good idea (even if the capacitor would be the bipolar type). Because without that diode, current can flow back and the capacitor will present a low resistance for the AC digital signal. In order words, the capacitor act as a kind of short circuit for your central unit (60212, Delta, MS or CS).

Success, Rudi

Offline pa-pauls  
#14 Posted : 24 February 2006 22:40:39(UTC)
pa-pauls

Any wiering diagram for this Rudi ?

Anyone now what light kits I should have for the ser 42281 ? (MHI '02)
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#15 Posted : 25 February 2006 19:01:28(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Any wiering diagram for this Rudi ?
Hi, below you see the schematics. Sorry for the lousy presentation, but I hope you can read it. I trie to explain the working below for non-technicians, so sometimes I tend to be more practical than technically accurate. But hey, if you are bored by it, tell me!

The upper schematic is uses a single-sided rectifier. You can either use a regular type diode (e.g. 1N4001) or, better, a fast switching one such as an 1N5819 or BS130. Depending on the characteristics of the digital signal, as well as the type of light source, some flicker may still be visible. With LED’s it is more visible than with bulb lights. The flicker is mainly because we have only output in the circuit during the negative part of the AC signal, not the positive one. This flicker is reduced by the capacitor. Basically, this component charges itself when there is power, stores the energy and delivers it to the lamp when no power is available – like a very small rechargeable battery, really. The higher the value of the capacitor, the more energy it stores (but, also, the bigger it is). Useful values range from 100 uF (microfarad, I do not have the mju-sign here) to 470 uF. The larger the load of the lights (one light, or 10 of them lighting a full train), the larger the capacitor needs to be. Be sure that the operating voltage of the capacitor is at least 25 volts, and it would be wise to take a 40V or a 63V type, just to be sure (in fact, this is a common practice).

Note that we connected the rail to the diode, not the pickup shoe. This because we know that the digital signal at the pickup shoe is more often negative (relative to the rails) than positive.

The lower schematic is quite the same, but here we use a full bridge rectifier. It uses the you can use the same components as the other schematics. Because the AC signal is rectified during both stages (‘positive’ and ‘negative’), there is output most of the time. In fact, only during the transition phases, the signal will show a short interruption. This may be cancelled out again by a capacitor. Now, a small value will do as the interruptions are much shorter. Normally, 47 uF 100 uF will be more than enough.

UserPostedImage

(Click here for bigger pic.)

Ok, I hope this helped to explain it to some of you.

Cheers, Rudi
Offline al_pignolo  
#16 Posted : 25 February 2006 19:18:54(UTC)
al_pignolo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote: Ok, I hope this helped to explain it to some of you.

It couldn't help better! Thank you very much, Rudi! Smile Smile Smile
Offline pa-pauls  
#17 Posted : 25 February 2006 19:46:41(UTC)
pa-pauls

Thank's Rudi !

Greetings from Norway

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Bill Marklin  
#18 Posted : 25 February 2006 22:11:12(UTC)
Bill Marklin

Hi to all!

On my layout I tested today
with the MS and the Delta Control 6604:
the flickering was definitely more less with
the Delta Control , almost nothing!

I use the MS on a digital layout with C rail.
On my great layout with K-rail
I use the Delta and with rectified AC transformer
i.e. analog.

Greetings
Bill
K-Rail layout wth DC,
Delta Control and C-rail layout with Mobile Station