Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2019 08:02:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just received the second of last year's new Re 4/4s (Re 425) from Roco. The first (79781) is Re 4/4 185 with a R3 revision date 27.10.94. The second one (79819) is Re 4/4 174 with a R3 revision date of 02.10.93. This means that both of these loks can go with my Liliput and Lima/Rivarossi BLS EWI rolling stock.

That revision date is too early for the GoldenPass train, as that service began in 2001. I guess that I can ignore the Revision dates for practical purposes.

I also have to find out when the BLS EWIV fleet was upgraded for push-pull operation, as the coaches in my collection all have the yellow markings and therefore correspond to the later period of operation. The BLS EWIV fleet was ceded to the SBB in 2004 in return for the former Swiss Express EWIII coaches. The coaches were initially delivered to the BLS in 1985 with a second batch in 1991.

I guess that the brownies could also be used to pull international and SBB Eurocity and Night Trains on the BLS routes, such as the "Berner Oberland", "Loetschberg", "Matterhorn". I have seen these trains with either Ae 4/4 or Re 4/4 (425).

I have to check the revision dates of my Rivarossi Loks to see where they fit in. I wonder what the revision date on the 3rd Roco Re 4/4 will be.
Hopefully it will be more recent (say 2000-2010) or perhaps earlier (maybe 1982-1985).

For modern freight trains, I have assorted Re 465, 485, 486, the new Re 475 and BR 186 (Railpool).

I started out collecting SBB and SOB/BT models. After visiting Interlaken in the 1980s, I began to add some BLS stock. With subsequent trips, I added more BLS to my collection and with the operation of BLS trains on the Gotthard and even on the Zurichsee line (to Landquart), they became of greater interest to me.

All in all, it makes for a very colourful and interesting collection.

How important are details like revision date to you? Do you try to assemble trains to fit that period or do you overlook that kind of detail and just use the locomotive with a train you want to model? I don't want this to become a topic about rivet counting and nitpicking.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2019 19:07:53(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Mike,
Still waiting on my 79819. I plan to run it with Re 4/4 185 on a DB RoLa. BLS was partnering with DB in the time frame I model. I am collecting and running anything that ran or could have run through the Junction at Immensee in around 2005. I figure route diversion would account for the "could haves". Most passenger consists appear to switched to Re460's but Re 4/4's and 6/6's were still common. Re10/10's pull the bulk of the freight. Other operators include DB, BLS and a few others. The number of "Open Syetem" operators has increased greatly since then and many have come and gone. There are some models I would like but are not available or too expensive (VAE).

Regards,
Roger
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2019 00:49:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hi Roger,

sorry to let you know that your last post may cost you up to $700. I don't know if you have these already, but they pass through Immensee multiple times per day:
https://www.ricardo.ch/d...re-446-015-0-1040998368/
https://www.ricardo.ch/d...-re-446-016-8-937278610/
https://www.alpnacher-modellbahnen.ch
https://www.alpnacher-modellbahnen.ch/re446/

I'm not even going to mention the matching Voralpen Express coaches from HUI Modellbau.

As far as your DB train, a BLS MU would probably be right for either the Red Train (DB Containers) or the Spedition Winner train.
Here is a video of Summer 2005 on the Gotthard:

This is a video from Arth-Goldau around 2003:

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2019 07:34:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike,
thanks for the in formation, unfortunately I don't delve that deeply into what loco is suited to what rolling stock.
I have enough BLS locos to open up my own private company to run trains in Switzerland (lol) but I'm short of rolling stock as freight or passenger carriages and at the moment I use what I have. I don't have any early BLS coaches and I don't have any current SBB coaches nor double decker coaches.
going on holidays in July-August this year I'm restricting my purchases but I will pursue these freight carriages from Rocky rail in the future., most probably 20 of each type of Sgmmns 40, Sggnss 80,

I have both of the latest release Roco BLS Re 4/4's (174,185), 2 x HAG Re 4/4's, 2 x Re 465, 3 or 4 x Traxx locos (Roco + Piko), 2 x Ae 6/8, 1x Ae 4/4, 1 x Ae 8/8, 1 x Vectron, 3 x HAG SBB Re 4/4 Express

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2019 16:30:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
To make the whole BLS thing more complicated, it was announced today that BLS Cargo has acquired the operations of Crossrail BV (Belgium), which will now be integrated into BLS Cargo. Crossrail was formed when the RM (Regionalverkehr Mittelland), the former VHB-EBT-SMB was split into freight and passenger operations and the passenger operations were acquired by BLS. Crossrail was the new identity of the Cargo division, which began operations between Basel and Italy using it's Cargo centre in Wiler and terminals in Domodossola and Chiasso. Initially, Crossrail worked with partners in Italy (Serfer) and Germany and Belgium (DLC LeJeune). DLC and Crossrail merged and that entity became known as Crossrail BV. Over time, DLC's stake in Crossrail was taken over by KLW Walter and Rhenus and by 2015, the majority of control belonged to Rhenus Logistics.
In 2017, the company was restructured and as part of that restructuring, operations south of Basel Bad. Bf were ceded to SBB Cargo.
This new agreement retroactively cedes all operations of Crossrail BV (Belgium) to BLS Cargo, which will strengthen the position of BLS Cargo in operations between Antwerp and Zeebrugge and points in Italy.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2019 16:37:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Regarding BLS (passenger) coaches, Roco currently (2018) has EWIV coaches in the livery for the period 1985-1996. Those coaches would normally have been run, along with a EWII baggage car. Later, the BLS (and SBB) acquired a number of former SNCF baggage cars that could run at higher speeds with the new locomotives (Re 460 SBB/Re 465 BLS) and the EWIV fleet was modified for push-pull operation with pilot coaches.

Liliput had a recent series of EWI coaches in BLS livery. Prior to that, EWI coaches were available from Hag and Lima. Roco had a series of EWII coaches (fantasy).

You can also still obtain BLS Heavy Schlieren coaches from Tillig. Those coaches were used in international traffic, often attached to international trains which ran through Switzerland on the Loetschberg/Simplon route.

Piko has announced models of SBB EWI coaches. So far, there has been no BLS versions announced. I assume that such models might appear at some point in the future.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2019 17:29:02(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
To make the whole BLS thing more complicated, it was announced today that BLS Cargo has acquired the operations of Crossrail BV (Belgium), which will now be integrated into BLS Cargo. Crossrail was formed when the RM (Regionalverkehr Mittelland), the former VHB-EBT-SMB was split into freight and passenger operations and the passenger operations were acquired by BLS. Crossrail was the new identity of the Cargo division, which began operations between Basel and Italy using it's Cargo centre in Wiler and terminals in Domodossola and Chiasso. Initially, Crossrail worked with partners in Italy (Serfer) and Germany and Belgium (DLC LeJeune). DLC and Crossrail merged and that entity became known as Crossrail BV. Over time, DLC's stake in Crossrail was taken over by KLW Walter and Rhenus and by 2015, the majority of control belonged to Rhenus Logistics.
In 2017, the company was restructured and as part of that restructuring, operations south of Basel Bad. Bf were ceded to SBB Cargo.
This new agreement retroactively cedes all operations of Crossrail BV (Belgium) to BLS Cargo, which will strengthen the position of BLS Cargo in operations between Antwerp and Zeebrugge and points in Italy.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

I see that you are well aware of what is happening in the railway world of my native countryCool

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Online mmervine  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2019 21:55:22(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2019 22:29:05(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

How important are details like revision date to you? Do you try to assemble trains to fit that period or do you overlook that kind of detail and just use the locomotive with a train you want to model? I don't want this to become a topic about rivet counting and nitpicking.

Regards

Mike C

My trains have to fit the period (era3a) but I can't afford to be picky on revision dates - that would leave me with next to no trains.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2019 01:55:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, must be frustrating for some modellers who have Crossrail locos on their layout, like another has got a HO layout of the Gotthard scenery and since the new Gotthard tunnel has been opened he said this will be my last video of the Gotthard era that he recreated but I don't think he meant it literally .

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2019 02:04:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have the Crossrail Re 436 and Am842 from Maerklin (37346). I also have an AC version of the Trix 185 (22636 chassis swap with 37446) as well as the Roco 185s (68503 and 68512 "Ewals").
All of those models fit the period from the formation of Crossrail up until 2014 or so when the BR 185s were returned to CB Rail and were replaced by BR 186.
I can use those locomotives with Crossrail, Ewals Cargo and other consists for that period.

Regards

Mike C
Offline rbw993  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2019 16:44:06(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Just found out my second Brownie, Roco 79819, is on quality hold. Belle at AJC Kids thinks it is a decoration issue. Everything else should be the same as the earlier release.
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 08 March 2019 19:08:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I wonder if that means that there was some damage to your particular locomotive (as in a broken part) or whether they detected some issue with the production?

I will have to give mine a closer look. So far, it has not yet emerged from it's box.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 10 March 2019 19:46:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Back to BLS models... If anybody is looking for coaches to go with either the new Roco or Rivarossi Re 4/4 (425) Brownies, this set showed up on eBay.de today:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...GBS-NEU-DC/273754357600?

Regards

Mike C