Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2019 16:00:41(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

While I was operating my trains today, I noticed a small tingling feeling when touching the track rails.
You know, the little feeling which you get if you place a 12v battery on your tongue.
I have never noticed this before, but today I was standing barefoot on the ground.
I wondered whether there was an earth leakage somewhere.

So, I hauled out my Multimeter, and measured the electrical potential difference between rail tracks and myself standing barefoot on the ground.
I was touching the Red needle to the Multimeter, while the Black needle was touching the rail.
Sure enough, there was about 8v AC current conducting through my body to the ground.
(Note that the locomotive lights are ON in the following picture)
IMG_7651.JPG

I then went to switch my Central Station 2 onto the "Stop" position.
And I measured the electrical potential difference again.
This time it registered about 2v AC current conducting through my body to the ground.
(Note that the locomotive lights are OFF in the following picture)
IMG_7655.JPG

This obviously puzzles me.
Maybe one of the electrical engineers on the forum can explain what is happening.
All the locomotives and all the s88 and all of the accessories were working perfectly.

Regards
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 03 March 2019 17:22:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It has something to do with the design of the power supply.

This topic was addressed last year by one of the AUS/NZ members AFAIR. https://www.marklin-user...ctrical-shock-from-rails

Shocking, isn't it?

regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2019 17:23:25(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have always felt the tingle from my track and due to the low voltage have never worried about it. To avoid this I usually just push the Stop bar on the CS2 whenever I am doing any work on my layout that requires my arms or hands to be on top of the track. The tingle gets very annoying.

In my opinion the power supply to the CS2 does not transfer the household ground to the CS2 and the CS2 then supplies the B and O to the track with the O at a floating potential compared to actual ground. Therefore, the potential difference you are measuring.

Peter
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2019 18:08:06(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post

I noticed a small tingling feeling when touching the track rails.
You know, the little feeling which you get if you place a 12v battery on your tongue.

Cant say I do. Have this vision of a car battery with monster jump leads.

Actually I do know what you mean brings back youthful memories of "tongueing" a PP9 battery

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2019 19:12:11(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi John,

Yes see previous post and results.

To get more accurate result try and measure ground potential between your rail and e.g. a radiator pipe or water copper pipe that has solid connection with earth (instead of your finger).

Then after this testing try and rotate your main plug for the power pack (if you have a eu plug you simple rotate the plug).

My test results were around 170V and then dropping to 60V (which Iam unable to feel when touching the rails). Even though voltage seems high there is hardly any amperage or flow or current.

My research into this matter indicated it’s a known issue with switch mode powerpacks and unless you get a power supply with earth pin fitted you will have this type of ground leakages.

I did inform Marklin about my result and they did testing, but would not acknowledge any faults or design issues, all though I did see some time ago a technical advise (in German) posted by one forum member here that seems to acknowledge the issue.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2019 19:50:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
I have always felt the tingle from my track and due to the low voltage have never worried about it. To avoid this I usually just push the Stop bar on the CS2 whenever I am doing any work on my layout that requires my arms or hands to be on top of the track. The tingle gets very annoying.

In my opinion the power supply to the CS2 does not transfer the household ground to the CS2 and the CS2 then supplies the B and O to the track with the O at a floating potential compared to actual ground. Therefore, the potential difference you are measuring.

Peter

It is a result of the power supplies being "double insulated" and so no earth wire is used on them. The result of this is that you can get a very small current because of capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary sides of the power supply. You are then touching the secondary side and a tiny current flows (which you feel as a tingle). The current is limited by the very small value of the capacitance between the primary and secondary sides of the power supply.

If you are to then measure the voltage drop across a realistic value of resistance between the rails and ground you will find that it is minuscule. There are some modern digital voltmeters that have what is known as a 'low impedance' or LoZ' mode for exactly this purpose. If you can measure a significant voltage in this mode then you do have a problem that needs to be investigated.

Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2019 10:31:22(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
I have always felt the tingle from my track and due to the low voltage have never worried about it. ...
Peter

Hello Peter,

On some occasions I have noticed this also, but felt it no big deal. My impression was that my body provided a conduit between the centre studs and the outer rails (rather than a conduit to "ground")

I noted from the Märklin stuff that there is a constant voltage across the track (centre stud to outer rail, that is). I understand that it is not classic constant DC nor classic AC sine wave but rather a complex composite of various square wave modulations (from the digital signal) of DC and as such is not amenable to accurate measurement by the standard multimeter as "AC" nor "DC", but it is + to - about 20 -22 v. I suspect my sensation of it varies with the climate conditions and my own conductivity(?)

Now, this was no problem for me but one day the layout assistant (image below) whilst pursuing his duties (an alternative "track-cleaner" as has had much recent discussion on this forum) happened to place his Cocker Spaniel snout on the live track (usually this is "happy moist" and thus has a thin layer of saline-rich, highly conductive, mucus) . There was a quick yelp and rapid withdrawal !!OhMyGod

Have fun,

PJ

UserPostedImage

(checkout the happy moist nose !BigGrin )
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin