Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2019 19:23:25(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi everyone. I am looking to instal 73093 or similar to protect a point on the main line. I can see how to wire it for manual changing (digitally of course). What I don’t know is if it is possible to wire the signal for when the point changes!

The point will have a motor and a decoder.Currently, I am using a Mobile Station 2.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2019 20:06:30(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Watching as I want to do the same thing. I would think if both the signal and the turnout have a decoder, they should be able to be controled at the same time. Kind of like consisting up 2 or more decoder controlled locomotives on the same train. I am still learning this whole mess of digital control myself, and its been very confusing. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2019 23:09:13(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
A simple way might be to set both the signal and point to the same address, then when you switch the point, the signal will change too.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2019 23:10:36(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
A simple way might be to set both the signal and point to the same address, then when you switch the point, the signal will change too.

I have been messing about with DCC since about 2006 so why did I think that this was difficult. I imagined using all sorts of triggers etc.!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2019 00:04:19(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   

Well if you run train in both directions on the track in question, this is not a solution at all, since the signal will be green when a train is coming in the other direction!

Getting signals to work prototypically is a complex issue and almost always needs software to solve the complexities. The software being used need to handle the complexities of bi-directional running, track occupancy and routing to get it right. Sadly it seems that Märklin does not understand this themselves after 3 decades of digital train operation.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2019 08:58:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

In my case I wanted the signal to protect a crossover which itself was used only when a turnout was switched.

I am not interested in the digital/decoder solution, so I planned to mechanically join the signal switch to the turnout switch (like the old days in the real railways).
That arrangement seemed to be the simplest solution, but have not yet got around to setting it up.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2019 18:29:05(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

Well if you run train in both directions on the track in question, this is not a solution at all, since the signal will be green when a train is coming in the other direction!

Getting signals to work prototypically is a complex issue and almost always needs software to solve the complexities. The software being used need to handle the complexities of bi-directional running, track occupancy and routing to get it right. Sadly it seems that Märklin does not understand this themselves after 3 decades of digital train operation.

I am not so worried about that. I am only interested in protecting the movement across the points from the yard. I realise that it doesn't support the other direction but I am not trying to run a railway - I have been there before and it drives me mad - so it won't be an issue.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid