Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lewistrain  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2019 04:26:57(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Hello gents, i just began fitting an ESU 64617 lokpilot v4 m4 decoder into a loco this morning.
I had to look up the plux22pin outs and with that info i began to solder away.
I connected the pick up shoe to the pin opposite the index pin and the wheel pick up to pin 14.
The motor was connected to pins 8 and 10.
I placed the loco on a small test track with my mobile station hooked up.
Immediately a quite buzzing sound came from the loco, i suspected a short circuit.
I removed the loco and metered the pins and pick ups, no short circuits.
Placed it back on the track, same thing.
Placed a known good loco on the tracks, it worked fine. Placed the loco under modification o to the track, other loco stopped.
Measured current draw to track, 600mA, way too much.
I have checked and checked again the wiring and cannot fi d fault.
I removed the wires to the motor and still the decoder makes this sou d and draws 600mA.
This is my first ESU decoder and i am at a loss.
This loco had a small marklin decoder in it before and ran fine, but i wanted to upgrade it.
So its a bit strange.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2019 05:08:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
One question is: why solder wires to the Plux 22 decoder ? one has a loco which has a Plux22 slot to go into., it would be a great benefit to see the decoder and its wires soldered to it so one can ascertain what's going on.
Unless you find out which pin belongs to which solder pad you're in trouble and the pins don't match up to the same location as the solder pads.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline lewistrain  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2019 05:32:06(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
20190223_142554.jpg
John this is the decoder as of right now.
I have had the wires on and off several times today making sure of polarity, shorts etc.
Blue is pick up shoe, yellow is wheels.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2019 07:49:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Ok, the wires you've connected are right but the coulor scheme is totally wrong. if you go with a NRMA color scheme and using ESU decoders I would stick to the
ESU coulor scheme and not the Märklin colour ,

red wire = middle track
black wire = outer track
white wire = front lights
yellow wire = rear lights
orange wire = motor rear
grey wire = motor front
blue wire = common (DC)
green wire = Aux 1
purple wire = Aux 2

it would also be advisable to use insulated (lacquered) copper wire available from Jaycar No.: 13, it comes in a roll. secondly have you got a Lokprogrammer and a decoder tester ?

buying electronic parts for locos isn't easy and one must consider how to program decoders, this is why it had taken me several years to decide which system to go with and I choose ESU but this is purely a personal choice and in my case it was the lokprogrammer what made me buy the ESU system including at the time the decoders either lokpilot or sound decoders.
Having said that how can we solve your problem ?
so you have tested the yellow wire and the blue wire with a multimeter and there is no connection between them ? and you still have a buzzing coming from the decoder ?
I'll wait for your answer.
and by the way what type of loco are you putting the Plux 22 decoder into it ? I don't like the position of the decoder are you sure no electronic component is touching the metal frame ?

Normally with all ESU decoders you can fit these decoders to the previous existing solenoid reverse unit and buy a back plate and place the decoder there with a double sided adhesive tape.
your confusion also could arise from: there is no short or connection between these 2 wires but an electronic component on the decoder touching the metal frame may not show this with a multi meter but registers as a short or buzzing as you connect the decoder to a power supply.
if you go to the topic: on my workbench you may find under river6109 helpful hints how to convert a loco from analog to digital.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline lewistrain  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2019 10:18:35(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
So it turned out the wires were not quite where they had to go, i was looking at several pinout diagrams all showing the same thing, the problwm is they were not pinout drawings , bit socket in drawings. I had soldered the wire to the wrong pins via mirror image.
Luckily ESU decoders are quite tough.
Had some trouble getting the mobile station to read the decoder but its all smiles now. Thanks for your help John.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lewistrain