Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjbartels  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2019 21:39:49(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Hi all

I’m looking to transition away from my K83 and move to M83 decoders for my switch tracks. My question is, if using a separate transformer to power them, how important is it use (or not use) the Universal power supply 60822? I have a starter set transformer I plan to use so I can separate powering them from my CS2.

Thanks in advance
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2019 02:50:32(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
My personal opinion is that the 60822 is NOT required when powering 6083x/6084x with a 6636* power supply.
Marklin warranty may disagree , as a money grab.

My reasoning is simply that ...
"if it was required, then Marklin would have saved 20c per unit by NOT including the DC power socket on each m83/m84"

Even if they had stuffed up with the 60831/60841 they could have enforced this with the 60832/60842 years later.
They Have not done so,
instead they have spent additional money on adding confusing words to the manual in an effort to move product

It is rather obvious (when you pop the top) that the "universal" reference for this device alludes to the (now stunted) ability to
- feed a k83 from an external transformer
- feed a k83 from the newer power supply
- feed a m8x from an external transformer.
IF the m83/m8 had no DC power socket then
- feed a m8x from the newer power supply.

As we know, the capability for using an external transformer with the 60822 never got to the market.

However , in relation to your comment about REPLACING k83s with m83s I have to ask WHY.
There is nothing wrong with the k83s.
If the issue is the power draw from the controller then YES here is where to use the 60822 with an external power supply.

However personally, I would just buy a booster and connect all accessory decoders to that.
It is far easier (tidier to manage) to just wire 2 wires around the layout than it is to install (multilple) 60822s with their attendant wall warts
Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2019 06:10:51(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
My personal opinion is that the 60822 is NOT required when powering 6083x/6084x with a 6636* power supply.
Marklin warranty may disagree , as a money grab.

My reasoning is simply that ...
"if it was required, then Marklin would have saved 20c per unit by NOT including the DC power socket on each m83/m84"

Even if they had stuffed up with the 60831/60841 they could have enforced this with the 60832/60842 years later.
They Have not done so,
instead they have spent additional money on adding confusing words to the manual in an effort to move product

It is rather obvious (when you pop the top) that the "universal" reference for this device alludes to the (now stunted) ability to
- feed a k83 from an external transformer
- feed a k83 from the newer power supply
- feed a m8x from an external transformer.
IF the m83/m8 had no DC power socket then
- feed a m8x from the newer power supply.

As we know, the capability for using an external transformer with the 60822 never got to the market.

However , in relation to your comment about REPLACING k83s with m83s I have to ask WHY.
There is nothing wrong with the k83s.
If the issue is the power draw from the controller then YES here is where to use the 60822 with an external power supply.

However personally, I would just buy a booster and connect all accessory decoders to that.
It is far easier (tidier to manage) to just wire 2 wires around the layout than it is to install (multilple) 60822s with their attendant wall warts

That was my reasoning as well, thanks!

As for why the change, I’m actually giving away my K83’s to someone whose expanding their layout and doesn’t really have the funds, so I figured this was my way of helping them out without them thinking I was doing that. I have several old starter set (black) transformers that I could power them with, so that’s my reasoning. The money grab, that’s exactly what I was thinking with the UPS for the same reason you said, why include the socket.

Thanks
Offline Donb  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2019 17:50:29(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
And since the 6636* Power Supply has overload/short curcuit protection (see item 5 in the manual), I too am puzzled as to why one needs a 60822.
I have directly connected a 66361 to one of my m83 and have not had any issues. I have even had turnout solenoids that are connected to this m83 misbehave and no issues.
Would like to see a technical explanation from M about the actual necessity of the 60822.

Regards,
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline PerR  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2019 19:10:21(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
Hi,

I have also wondered about what is inside such a 60822 so I decided to disassemble one.

To me it looks like the primary functionallity is noise reduction because the main components are a coil and a capacitor.

I guess that the reason why Märklin specify that a 60822 always has to be used could be to comply with the regulations for RF noise.

Best regards
Per
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PerR
Offline sjbartels  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2019 22:47:40(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: PerR Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have also wondered about what is inside such a 60822 so I decided to disassemble one.

To me it looks like the primary functionallity is noise reduction because the main components are a coil and a capacitor.

I guess that the reason why Märklin specify that a 60822 always has to be used could be to comply with the regulations for RF noise.

Best regards
Per

That actually makes a lot of sense!
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2019 22:53:14(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Boy is that question on the 60822 an ever confusing (for me) topic. I too never really understood it.

The M83/84 have a DC power input that one can plug a regulated DC power supply into for providing it with power, so whats the point of the other thing?
The only thing that makes sense is the filtering/isolation function described, to keep signal from bleeding back out onto the mains or into the airwaves (as RF) via some weakness in the design of the DC power supplies.

In fact, from Stummi, there is a post that has Märklin saying exactly this in a Märklin Magazine Issue 1, 2014 (if someone can scan the relevant page that would be nice).

Quote:
Der Decoder kann auch über ein separates Schaltnetzteil 66361 versorgt werden. Benötigt wird zusätzlich zu diesem Schaltnetzteil in diesem Anwendungsfall die Entstöreinheit 60822. Wichtig: Ohne den Einsatz dieses Zusatzgerätes kann die Einhaltung der EMV-Vorschriften nicht gewährleistet werden. Daher bitte nie auf den
Einsatz dieser Elektronik verzichten.

Or in English (and skipping the bit about its needed when using the 66361 power supply:
Quote:
Important: Without this additional component, we cannot guarantee conforming to the relevant electromagnetic compatibility requirements.

That is, to comply with the various rules on handling what sort of electromagnetic noise can leak out, this part is needed. Its got nothing to do with the delivery of electrical power TO the M8x decoders, etc, and everything to do with how electromagnetic signals are suppressed - either going back upstream to the power supply side OR downstream from the power supply into the various M8x decoder connected equipment and wiring.

The layout will run just fine without the 60822, but you may be violating your local national rules on radio wave emissions and handling and the related effects on radio/tv/cell service/etc. From the Stummi forum, as this predates my getting into the hobby seriously, the 60822 was not made available until some time AFTER the various M8x devices, and as a result of EU harmonization between countries on the rules of handling RF interference, so its a 'retrofit bandage' to keep things in compliance without having to redesign the power supplies and other components that were already in production and work just fine as is.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Donb  
#8 Posted : 23 February 2019 00:12:24(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Good info about filtering, that makes some sense then.
Actually I rather like Peter's idea of using a Booster to power all these switching decoders. In my case i've got some m83 spread out in several locations, close to their users. In order to move them to plug them into each other, going to require lots of rewiring, and no way I'm going to have a wall wart for each one.
Wishing I had discovered the Viessmann 5280 decoder prior to buying the m83's, I have those (5280) connected to Accessory power, no issues.

cheers,
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb
Offline rrf  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2019 16:58:56(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

The reason I like powering the M83/M84 clusters with a separate power supply (in lieu of a booster circuit) is that that turnout and signal lights do not go out when I hit "Stop" on my CS3. Also, I've been told that this arrangement helps maintain the current state of the M84's relays.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf