Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carlos  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2019 23:17:28(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Hello everybody,

I have two 3774 and I have been trying to run them in my CS 60215 but they’re not responding. Not forward nor reverse. The only function is the front or back lights. Both have the same address “22”. But none are running. Can someone tell me how to make them to run.?.

Thanks and regards,

Carlos
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2019 23:44:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
Hello everybody,

I have two 3774 and I have been trying to run them in my CS 60215 but they’re not responding. Not forward nor reverse. The only function is the front or back lights. Both have the same address “22”. But none are running. Can someone tell me how to make them to run.?.

Thanks and regards,

Carlos

Did they run on an analogue transformer?

What happens is you put them on the programming track on the cs2 (one at a time) and do a 'detect loco'? It could well be that the address has been changed, but you say you can control the lights? Are the lights changing when you change direction?

Offline Carlos  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2019 00:30:18(UTC)
Carlos

United States   

Yes, Both have the same address and in forward or reverse the lights are changing when I change direction. Maybe the problem is that I didn't set it the right way? I went to the manual way. What I hear in the programming track is a soft noise and if they stay too long they get too warm ( by one).

Regards,

Carlos

Hello everybody,

Thanks and regards,

Carlos

Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2019 00:46:43(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Carlos, sounds to me like they have been standing too long. Take the body off & see if you can move any gears by applying gentle pressure to them with your finger. If it is all stiff then the old oil of that era has gummed it up & it needs servicing. Also if you can please post a photo of the loco with body off.
D.A.Banks
Offline Carlos  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2019 02:37:21(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
Carlos, sounds to me like they have been standing too long. Take the body off & see if you can move any gears by applying gentle pressure to them with your finger. If it is all stiff then the old oil of that era has gummed it up & it needs servicing. Also if you can please post a photo of the loco with body off.

Here I’m sending you the picture and tomorrow I’ll see if I have time for some cleaning and oiling.1ACE2207-223F-4650-9FA7-B1234B1D8C16.jpeg9A6CA61C-EE99-440A-8D38-F0D2F833C7FC.jpeg55D7DFFA-DA2B-44CC-8CF1-EC9F8E31DD5A.jpeg
Please let me know if you got the pictures.

Regard,
Carlos
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2019 23:33:28(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Carlos, Looks to me via your pictures like you have a C80 decoder in both locomotives. Have a read of this please.

https://lnx.3rotaie.it/wp/?wpfb_dl=926
D.A.Banks
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2019 12:54:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Carlos, Looks to me via your pictures like you have a C80 decoder in both locomotives. Have a read of this please.

In the early eighties when Marklin came out with their digital system they produced some locos with transparent plastic bodies so that you could see the electronics inside. All these were labelled in the 37XX range to distinguish them from the standard 36XX models, but they had the same C80 (6080) decoders.

I am aware of the following models:

3756 - Br103
3772 - Br212
3774 - Br216

There may also have been a transparent version of the ICE train as it is shown in photos in one of the catalogues, but I don't know a catalogue number for that.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2019 14:40:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

In the early eighties when Marklin came out with their digital system they produced some locos with transparent plastic bodies so that you could see the electronics inside. All these were labelled in the 37XX range to distinguish them from the standard 36XX models, but they had the same C80 (6080) decoders.

3756 - Br103
3772 - Br212
3774 - Br216

There may also have been a transparent version of the ICE train as it is shown in photos in one of the catalogues, but I don't know a catalogue number for that.

There is also a transparent Br80 (3000) which wasn't produced as part of the 'training' series, but I don't know its catalogue number.

Are you thinking of the transparent ICE-3 (37789) produced for the 140 years of Marklin? It has a blue tinge to the two end units and a pinkish tinge to the centre unit of the three piece train. I don't know of any other transparent ICE units.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Carlos  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2019 16:35:30(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

3756 - Br103
3772 - Br212
3774 - Br216

There is also a transparent Br80 (3000) which wasn't produced as part of the 'training' series, but I don't know its catalogue number.

Are you thinking of the transparent ICE-3 (37789) produced for the 140 years of Marklin? It has a blue tinge to the two end units and a pinkish tinge to the centre unit of the three piece train. I don't know of any other transparent ICE units.

Thank you to all of you for your answers. My idea first is to clean the motor. Can I clean it with an Ultrasonic Cleaner ? Also I will change to 3 polo for a 5 polo motor ( 60944)

Regards,

Carlos

Offline Carlos  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2019 16:37:01(UTC)
Carlos

United States   

Thank you, looks very interesting.

Regards,

Carlos
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 18 February 2019 19:11:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

3756 - Br103
3772 - Br212
3774 - Br216

Actually I was thinking of the ones on the cover of the 1987 catalogue. Sorry to further pollute this thread but I thought I'd show this one:

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jvuye  
#12 Posted : 18 February 2019 22:33:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi again Calos
I'm willing to bet , based on your decription of tghe symptoms,that your two engines have ceased up motors.
Mârklin was for a time using an oil formula that had a tendency to dry up and literally "glued" parts together
Don't panic! It's easy to clean.
I've done for decades and especially when I was servicing Märklin trains for a living!
First get yourself a can of lighter fluid.
It's very late here and I can't write the whole procedure up, but I'll try to get bacl to you tomorrow.
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Carlos  
#13 Posted : 19 February 2019 01:37:08(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hi again Calos
I'm willing to bet , based on your decription of tghe symptoms,that your two engines have ceased up motors.
Mârklin was for a time using an oil formula that had a tendency to dry up and literally "glued" parts together
Don't panic! It's easy to clean.
I've done for decades and especially when I was servicing Märklin trains for a living!
It's very late here and I can't write the whole procedure up, but I'll try to get bacl to you tomorrow.

Thank you Jacque and I'll be waiting for you help

My regards,

Carlos
Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 19 February 2019 16:55:03(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

My regards,

Carlos

Hi again!
This procedure works in 99% of the cases of a motor that's blocked, with "no apparent reason" and after it's been left alone in its box for months or years!

If the gears and the whole mechanism appear to be clean/like new and without anything visibly clogging the gears, it's the easiest way to get it fixed in a whiff!

First remove the two brushes.
In your case that will be by carefully lifting the little bronze springs with a pair of tweezer, and delicatly set them on the side of the brush holder.

Now remove the brushes (you may need to pull them with the tweezers..)
Note where the metal brush was, because it will have to return to the same spot.
(If you forget, no big deal, the bronze tingy has a little hook that corresponds to that metal brush)

Now **very** carefully , and exercising force **only on one of the wheels on the geared side**, try to turn the motor.
If it not running easily or not at all, time to break the can of ZIPPO (aka lighter fluid)
Put a few drops on each side of the rotor bearings, on the adjacent gears, all the way through the gear train and down to the wheels.

After a minute or two, try again turning the wheels
If not successful , repeat the operation until the mechanism is completely free, no "hard points" when you turn, and all is turning smoothly!

Don't be afraid, lighter fluid eventually evaporates completely and will not harm any electrical or mechanical component.
Just simply wait that it has all dried up before you re-assemble, then reinstall the brushes and after careful /light oiling of the bearings and the gears, go for a test run.

Only in very extreme cases, or when there is a lot of dirt/crap/lint caught in the gears, will you have to open the motor and take the rotor out for a more complete "open heart" cleaning.
But that , as R. Kipling said, is another story.

Tell us how this worked out ...

Hope this helps for now.
We'll go through the open heart surgery procedure when neededWink RollEyes

Jacques
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Carlos  
#15 Posted : 19 February 2019 21:13:28(UTC)
Carlos

United States   

My regards,

Carlos

Hi again!
This procedure works in 99% of the cases of a motor that's blocked, with "no apparent reason" and after it's been left alone in its box for months or years!

If the gears and the whole mechanism appear to be clean/like new and without anything visibly clogging the gears, it's the easiest way to get it fixed in a whiff!

First remove the two brushes.
In your case that will be by carefully lifting the little bronze springs with a pair of tweezer, and delicatly set them on the side of the brush holder.

Now remove the brushes (you may need to pull them with the tweezers..)
Note where the metal brush was, because it will have to return to the same spot.
(If you forget, no big deal, the bronze tingy has a little hook that corresponds to that metal brush)

Now **very** carefully , and exercising force **only on one of the wheels on the geared side**, try to turn the motor.
If it not running easily or not at all, time to break the can of ZIPPO (aka lighter fluid)
Put a few drops on each side of the rotor bearings, on the adjacent gears, all the way through the gear train and down to the wheels.

After a minute or two, try again turning the wheels
If not successful , repeat the operation until the mechanism is completely free, no "hard points" when you turn, and all is turning smoothly!

Don't be afraid, lighter fluid eventually evaporates completely and will not harm any electrical or mechanical component.
Just simply wait that it has all dried up before you re-assemble, then reinstall the brushes and after careful /light oiling of the bearings and the gears, go for a test run.

Only in very extreme cases, or when there is a lot of dirt/crap/lint caught in the gears, will you have to open the motor and take the rotor out for a more complete "open heart" cleaning.
But that , as R. Kipling said, is another story.

Tell us how this worked out ...

Hope this helps for now.
We'll go through the open heart surgery procedure when neededWink RollEyes

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Thank you for your new advise. I did what you told me but when I tried the locomotive first start going slowly and making noises, then I decided to add more oil and now is in perfect conditions. My next step is to change the old bulbs for the new ones (610080). Is there any illustration o how and where ti solder the wires ?
Thank you again Jacques,

My regards,

Carlos
Offline jvuye  
#16 Posted : 19 February 2019 23:41:22(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Hi Jacques,

Thank you for your new advise. I did what you told me but when I tried the locomotive first start going slowly and making noises, then I decided to add more oil and now is in perfect conditions. My next step is to change the old bulbs for the new ones (610080). Is there any illustration o how and where ti solder the wires ?
Thank you again Jacques,

My regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos
Glad it worked for you so far
As far as I know, there is no need to unsolder anything to change the bulb (unless someone modififed the original set up...)
You should just turn it 1/4 turn and it will pop out, inserting the new one is the reverse operation
Sleepy time again on this side of the ocean.
Till tomorrow!
Cheers
Jacques

Offline Carlos  
#17 Posted : 20 February 2019 01:14:08(UTC)
Carlos

United States   

Hi Jacques,

Thank you again Jacques,

My regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos
Glad it worked for you so far
As far as I know, there is no need to unsolder anything to change the bulb (unless someone modififed the original set up...)
You should just turn it 1/4 turn and it will pop out, inserting the new one is the reverse operation
Sleepy time again on this side of the ocean.
Till tomorrow!
Cheers
Jacques

Thank you again Jacques

Regards,

Carlos