Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hmsfix  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2006 02:02:11(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi friends,

The UP F7 is a never-ending theme. Have now achieved a further upgrade my old lok. After installation of a 60903 decoder set some time ago I can now control the head light of the motorless A unit at the opposite end of my A-B-A consist. Moreover, everything is ready to control the lighting of a passenger train via the F1 decoder functions as soon as I have inserted current conducting couplers at the front slots of the A units.

The main obstacle to connect the two dummy units to the motor unit is shown in the image below: there is no cable slot below the backdoors of the 3061/4061 A-units as is the case for the newer F7 versions. My efforts to lead the wires somehow through the rear truck all failed for lack of space, and the wheels would hurt the wire isolation. With that long lasting project I felt sometimes like in that movie where Steven Segal must get to the engine at the head of a hijacked train, passing through all those traps and gunfires biggrin

UserPostedImage

As I did not want to drill holes in the casings, I prepared my own electric wires from some strips of self-glueing copper foil "sandwiched" between two layers of transparent stretch tape. Soldering these wires turned out to be quite easy, as the strech tape bears the soldering temperature very well for 1 or 2 seconds.

UserPostedImage

Outside the casing, I fixed a connector normally used for jumpers on computer boards. So I can easily join and separate the units without lifting the casings. Perhaps I'll repaint the connector with a yellow finish.

UserPostedImage

Inside the motor unit the wires are continued to the decoder compartment where they can be pluged to a raster cardboard which carries the decoder, the connectors, a relay, and few additional electric components. The LEDs are dimmed very strongly and are for checking decoder operation.

UserPostedImage

The relay (blue box on the image) is necessary because my California Zephyr requires almost 0.75 A for lighting. The relay contacts connect the wire either to ground or to center rail potential. So I can choose whether I want to switch supply voltage on or off when F1 is activated.

Well, let's still have a brief look under the hood of the dummy A unit. As I did not provide a connection to the decoder mass output in the motor unit (orange wire), I installed two diodes in order to simulate decoder mass for the head light. So I obtain a non-flickering head light which is illuminated only when the dummy unit is running in forward direction at the front of the train.

UserPostedImage

Still I am not decided what to do with the F2 function of the decoder. Eventually additional head light functions may be possible.

Hans Martin
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2006 03:01:31(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Interesting design.

Thanks for sharing, Hans Martin.

Pierre.
Offline HueyCE  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2006 04:15:27(UTC)
HueyCE

You should think of putting together a how-to.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2006 09:23:47(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Great work Hans Martin,
I agree with Ira, a how-to should be very interesting.
Could you describe what kind of relay have you used?
thanks
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline john black  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2006 10:59:24(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hmsfix
<br />... not decided what to do with the F2 function of the decoder

Some decent sound [:p] !!! Cool conversion - congratulations ... Cool
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline hmsfix  
#6 Posted : 20 February 2006 14:59:52(UTC)
hmsfix

John: right, there IS sound, even without sound module. When this long train is rumbling over my M-tracks you don't miss any diesel roaring. But a horn or whistle would be nice, I'll see what I can do.

Alberto: I used a 12-V-relay which I once extracted from an old TV set. The relay takes 60 mA from the decoder and can switch up to 2 A. I connected it to the decoder output with a 100 Ohm resistor, and it works fine. A 0.2 microfarad capacitor parallel to the relay coil absorbs the voltage spikes from the coil.
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 20 February 2006 18:22:01(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very interesting reporting,thanks.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jerdenberg  
#8 Posted : 20 February 2006 22:39:41(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Nice work Hans Martin!

I wonder why Märklin, with all their UP stuff of the last few years, still have not (re-)issued a UP F7 for those who were not around when the last 3061 was on the market. It is such a logical ingredient for a UP-transitional layout that it should be a huge success.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline hmsfix  
#9 Posted : 21 February 2006 18:06:55(UTC)
hmsfix

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jerdenberg
<br />Nice work Hans Martin!

I wonder why Märklin, with all their UP stuff of the last few years, still have not (re-)issued a UP F7 for those who were not around when the last 3061 was on the market. It is such a logical ingredient for a UP-transitional layout that it should be a huge success.

Jeroen

Yes, I agree. They also may bring out a UP F3 or F9. I'll not be picky about that.Smile

Hans Martin
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 21 February 2006 18:50:21(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jerdenberg
<br />I wonder why M ... still have not (re-)issued a UP F7

Jeroen: They say the F7 moulds are done. Alas ...
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline jerdenberg  
#11 Posted : 22 February 2006 12:40:14(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
OK,

I am willing to settle then for an E8-ish A+B unit and a string of yellow streamline coaches (or heavyweights). biggrin

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.