Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Budadav  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2019 00:45:42(UTC)
Budadav

United Kingdom   
Hello

My first time posting here - I really hope someone can help. My 6 year old son was very excited to receive a Marklin start-up set for Christmas (container starter set with ir controller), and since also spent his savings on adding an extra loco (BR74). He’s since been upset to be experiencing problems that have taken the fun out of it. It’s a very modest start but he (and I!!) were hoping this would be the start of years of fun!

The timing may be a coincidence, but since adding the BR74 both trains have become unreliable at points around the track, and more pronounced at slow speeds. I’ve attached link to a YouTube video showing the problem.

It's like the loco is losing its signal or there’s a loss of power or connection - sometimes it starts up again and other times a gentle nudge is required. It’s much worse with the diesel from the container set but does happen to a lesser extent with the other one as well.

Additionally, when we first added the BR74, some of the functions of the diesel (sounds and roof light) stopped working when both locos were on the track. They’re a bit hit and miss now.

I’m new to this to and really confused as to what would have caused it (i’ve checked connections and rebuilt parts track etc). Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2019 04:43:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
This problem is because of dirty track.
But it is only new you say .....
All track (including the centre pukos (the small studs in the centre of the track) ) get oxidised by various means.

This needs "polishing" either with a track rubber available at the hobby store, or
some very fine sandpaper (about 1000 or 1200 grit is OK available from some hobby stores) it will not harm the steel.
The track is stainless steel, and the pukos are mild steel.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline lewistrain  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2019 04:59:34(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
Just set one of the locos to full speed and let it run around the track for 10min.
If it is a brand new set, or tracl that has been sitting for a while you may have to do this to get them a bit cleaner.
Alternativley use a clean rag to wipe down the rails and check for dirt on the rag.
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2019 06:53:53(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I've found its pretty much always the centre conductor.

The rails are stainless steel so they don't corrode and maintain good conductivity.

Best method is to clean the stud and then run a graphite bar over it to create a protective conducting layer. For small areas you can use a lead pencil, go a 2B.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Budadav  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2019 08:31:10(UTC)
Budadav

United Kingdom   
Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate it. I’ll grt cleaning later today!

David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Budadav