Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2019 19:12:02(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Yesterday I bought a 3000.2 engine that the seller said didn't run. When I took it apart I noticed that the reverse unit had a cogged spur on top. It reminded me of the units that are used in the 3047 to operate the telex but it only has 2 contacts. It works by going into neutral between forward and reverse positions. (forward-neutral-reverse- neutral etc.)

I'm having trouble getting the unit to cycle where the engine doesn't jerk so much when I activating the unit. Is there any "tips" on helping to adjust this style reverse unit?

Thanks,
Chuck
Offline Crazy Harry  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2019 22:43:12(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Adjustment of the spring tension on the reverser will reduce the jerk. I believe slightly less tension is the way you want to go, but not too little tension or the locomotive will try to reverse when you approach full throttle. Any manual for a locomotive with this type of reverser will have instructions on setting the spring tension.

Hope this helps,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2019 14:59:57(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks Harold for the tip! Unfortunately, I don't have the original papers for the loco.

I have tried adjusting the spring tension which is much more troublesome because you're trying to find which coil of the spring to attach to the hook. Way more time consuming that the later style hook that you can adjust with a screwdriver blade. I have it now where it will change without too much travel in either direction. I think that maybe these units would work better with the older transformers where you had to push a button to activate the reversing pulse. I using a latter style where you move the handle to the left of zero which causes you to linger too long sending too much pulse current. This ends up sending the loco several inches/cm's down the rails for each reversing pulse. Laugh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2019 15:44:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Chuck

This type of reverse unit brings a jerk with it because there is no switch-off of the motor during the 24V pulse.
This is specially true when the loco is stopped with lights on. Thats why in those days invertions (overvoltage) was done by a quick push on the button.
Adjustment of the spring is easy: set the loco to maximum speed and trim it so that the reverse unit is not triggered

Below are the two types of Märklin direction relays
UserPostedImage
The one on the left allows to adjust the spring tension and with the other one you bend the spring one way or the other.
Any Märklin dealer sells those springs for reverse mechanisms
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2019 00:12:26(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have quite a few locos like this. Its a matter of practicing to get the right amount of " pressing ' the button to prevent the jerking. I dont think yo can stop it.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline skeeterbuck  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2019 01:22:56(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I have quite a few locos like this. Its a matter of practicing to get the right amount of " pressing ' the button to prevent the jerking. I dont think yo can stop it.
Dereck

That's good to know. Thanks!
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2019 01:26:58(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chuck

This type of reverse unit brings a jerk with it because there is no switch-off of the motor during the 24V pulse.
This is specially true when the loco is stopped with lights on. Thats why in those days invertions (overvoltage) was done by a quick push on the button.
Adjustment of the spring is easy: set the loco to maximum speed and trim it so that the reverse unit is not triggered

Below are the two types of Märklin direction relays
UserPostedImage
The one on the left allows to adjust the spring tension and with the other one you bend the spring one way or the other.
Any Märklin dealer sells those springs for reverse mechanisms
Cheers

Jean

Thanks for posting the instructions Jean. The one I have is on the right. Since I now know that a little jerking is to be expected, I think I'll leave it as is. Hope to post a pic of the engine with the background story in a day or so.