Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goat  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2019 07:02:09(UTC)
Goat

United States   
Hi, very nice web site.

I would like to know how to estimate the value of my train set I have owned since I was a Toddler. My Dad bought for me. The engine is missing a part on the left side. I will be selling this set as well as two sets of Lionel Trains I have.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please see the pictures.

Jim

Semper FiIMG_4278.JPGIMG_4274.JPGIMG_4248.JPGIMG_4283.JPGIMG_4249.JPGIMG_4273.JPGIMG_4277.JPGIMG_4276.JPGIMG_4277.JPGIMG_4275.JPG
Offline GlennM  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2019 15:06:47(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Jim,

In my personal opinion the prognosis is not good. I assume there are no original boxes for these items?

Firstly looking at the controller the cable appears to be decaying, which is a sure sign that the internal cabling and insulation is also decaying and that this transformer is potentially unsafe and should NOT be used until it has been tested by a qualified electrician. Hard to put a value on this in its current state.

The loco is in poor condition, and maybe a restoration project for a suitably minded individual but looking at second hand prices (see Ebay) for a 3005 in great condition in an original box, I would say you may end up selling this loco 'for spares'. Again it is hard to put a value on this item as I think the price would be dependent upon finding a buyer who actually wanted it

It is hard to determine the condition of the rolling stock from your pictures, but if in reasonable played with condition and no box, I would estimate that you may get up to U$10 each for the Esso tank car, the box car, the wine car and the two green coaches. The price may be higher if the items are in a good condition, and lower if rusty and showing paint loss, and would depend also on state of the metal wheels and couplings. The DRG dining coach without a roof and the two pieces that make up the flat wood transport set (which is clearly broken and appears to be missing it's wooden load) would more than likely only attract someone who needs those items at a given point in time.

The demand for M track has vastly reduced in recent years, I cannot tell what condition yours is in as it is wrapped in plastic, but a gentleman in North America (Forum member) recently stated the following with regard to the sale of his M track; "Most of it was new or barely used from the 1970s in the original boxes. For straight and curved pieces I averaged around $1.50 - $2 per piece. Turnouts were obviously more, but nowhere near the original cost."

I am sure other Forum members will correct me if my assessment is incorrect.

Best Regards
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline PhredD  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2019 15:23:02(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Glenn, Jim
jumping in to say Glenn is spot on across the board, from my eBay buyer perspective. For M track, (I do sometimes keep purchasing it . . . ) I'm looking at around a dollar per piece. Switch pricing is sometimes all over the map, but with so much out there, there's no need for a buyer to pay high prices, I can't really say what those may bring for you.
Cheers,
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PhredD
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2019 15:56:37(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi,

I'm not sure how much you need the money (or not), but for the $50-100 this might fetch I'd just clean it up and find a kid to whom it would be a priceless gift. Or jut put it up around the holidays as a momento.

So, if your original question was more if the set is a collectors item or not, the answer is sadly no.

For example, I just bought 3 of those long metal passenger cars last weekend at a train show. They were literally unopened in their original cellophane from the early 1970s, and they cost me $15/ea. To me they were worth even more than that because that is an unheard of condition, but others had passed before I took them...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2019 16:16:03(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
it looks pretty hammered, I would guess you may get $100 for it all. (which is more than I would pay for it)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Elsleuth1  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2019 17:44:01(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
I would post it all on ebay with a detailed description, and an opening bid of $20 plus whatever you think shipping will be. See what it goes for or donate it to someone who plays with Marklin stuff and wants a project.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:17:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I would strongly recommend that you don't try to sell that 280A transformer on ebay in the state it is in, given that the power cord is deteriorating and therefore is an electrocution risk.

If you do list the transformer on ebay, then make sure you warn folks about the state that it is in and that they purchase it at their own risk.

You wouldn't want any comeback on you if some kid got zapped by using the 280A.

There's been several threads regarding those transformers on the forum, it would be best for you to have a look at them.

In terms of value of your collection, there is little or no value in the loco or the transformer. If in reasonable condition, the wagons might be $10 each (as others have suggested). The M track maybe $1 per piece, the coach is worth nothing in that state but you might find someone who will give you a few dollars for it for spare parts. The other tinplate coaches may fetch $10 to $20 each depending on condition.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2019 00:26:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz