Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2019 22:54:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
78452 review

Surprize .. surprize .., with this set you get two Hoyer containers each with a different running number. Such niceties are usually reserved for models aimed at mature Marklinists.

This set is marketed to extend an existing oval track train set (see the companion 29452), and I am sure it fills that market admirably. I purchased this set for a couple of reasons:
1. Its play value – yes I just love pulling model trucks along imaginary roads, and loading and unloading them. I have quite a collection, and my youngest daughter (now 34) says I will never play with most of them ….
2. I have embarked on a new venture in Maerklin for era VI and this is an entry level “lets get going” type of thing.

The box describes the set as suitable for 6-12 year olds, (they don’t mention 73 year olds), and also proudly writes “Made in the European Union”. You can see from Maerklin’s picture what is contained in the set. (Acknowledgement to Maerklin for this photo from their catalogue).

UserPostedImage

My opinion is as follows:
Firstly, the containers have high quality crisp lettering – no skimping there. They are not the same construction as what you get in (for example) the expert model 47800. because they are not equipped with the fine pins to locate on the wagon. Rather they have holes underneath to match rather large lugs on the floor of both wagon and truck to suit the motor-skills of a 7 year old. The first-glance detail seems to be as good as the more expensive versions, but these have the added feature of a swing–down end door which is great to play with.

UserPostedImage

Secondly, the set is around a 10% discount from the total of buying the individual items at Maerklin’s catalogue price.

Thirdly, the fork lift/hoist truck seems too large for 1:87 scale (I could be wrong because the real things are probably huge), which if a fact would not bother a 7 year old. The Hoyer containers are a little bit chunky in the frame detail, but I modified mine with ladder and roof walk as shown in the photo below. The different running numbers on each Hoyer are a bonus and have me tickled.

UserPostedImage

The MAN truck is a Majorette product made in Thailand, with excellent exterior cab detail and window glass inserts. The emphasis here is on play value (viz. wheels) and Maerklin have supplied a well-designed trailer modification to suit the container/s.

The bogie wagon is of typical Maerklin robustness and quality, with fine lettering graphics and Relex couplings. Another wagon with containers can be purchased as item #44700 (which I also purchased).

This 78452 has 3 companion sets which expand the play value considerably. They are Maerklin item numbers 29452 industrial locomotive train set, 72452 container yard crane, and 44452 the rolling Ardelt crane and a container wagon.

Oh .... I forgot to mention you can remove the cap of the tank and fill it up with .... use your imagination here.
Let's try yoghurt says the 7 year old - and Mum just can't figure what that smell in his/her bedroom is 2 weeks later.

I like this set, and I hope Maerklin sell hundreds (if not thousands) of them at a good profit.

Kimball

Edited by user 02 November 2019 23:42:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2019 10:56:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Kimball, you sure it said 6-12 years, I think you have to multiply it 6 x 12 = 72, this sounds much more plausible. when you get older time flies and than you have to use the retiree calculation table and multiply everything, your weight, your money, your collection, your memory,

I've got a soft spot for the double wagons and have been waiting to save enough money to buy them but this year we're going on holidays, so it has to wait until later in the year., I'm contemplating 20 of them which give me 40 containers or trucks. (RailAid)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Antti  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2019 18:02:52(UTC)
Antti

Finland   
Märklin has definitely stepped up their starter set game in the recent years! Glad to see so much more play features in these sets nowadays! it used to be that all you got was a circle of track with no turnouts and if you were lucky, you got a tipper wagon and a static bulldozer but now you can get 2 turnouts, 3 wagons with containers (with opening hatches!) and a loco with sound! all that for under 200e in one set!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Antti