Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2019 21:17:14(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I am new to the whole Marklin world and am trying to build a "co-herent" set. However, I am shocked by theorise of Marklin coaches so I have been looking at Roco as I got a great deal at my LHS in Ipswich - Scograil - on a box of 8 freight cars.

I can see this - on Modelbahn Lippe - Roco 74127 Gauge H0 3 piece set “Scharnow Reisen” of the German Federal Railways. Epoch III at €133.90. I am trying to keep to Epoch III so these seem a fit but not sure. Any Ideas?

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline twmarklinfan  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2019 21:47:16(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
I am new to the whole Marklin world and am trying to build a "co-herent" set. However, I am shocked by theorise of Marklin coaches so I have been looking at Roco as I got a great deal at my LHS in Ipswich - Scograil - on a box of 8 freight cars.

I can see this - on Modelbahn Lippe - Roco 74127 Gauge H0 3 piece set “Scharnow Reisen” of the German Federal Railways. Epoch III at €133.90. I am trying to keep to Epoch III so these seem a fit but not sure. Any Ideas?

David

Have a look at the length of the coaches, these are 303mm each. I think on your layout these may look out of place. Perhaps look for shorter coaches Roco 44212 etc or Marklin 4313, 4314. You might find these cheaper on e bay

Adrian
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2019 02:25:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have a mix of many different brands in my collection. I have a classic 24cm consist or two, many 1/100 (264mm) models, a number of the new 282mm models and a larger collection of exact scale 1/87.
I don't mix them in consists and the shorter material was mainly for use when my niece and nephew were younger.
The exact scale coaches get to run when I set up the teppichbahn on the floor.

I love the exact scale coaches. Those manufacturers tend to make a wider selection of models, so the consist includes the baggage, first class, second class, restaurant and other coaches you would normally find in a consist, while in the shorter scale lengths, you might find a first class, a second class and a diner only.

For example, for my SBB EWIV trains, I have three variants:

1) Re 460 with AS Service coach, 1st class coach, 3 2nd class coaches and pilot coach
2) RE 460 with ex-SNCF baggage car, 2 1st class coaches, restaurant car, 3 2nd class coaches and pilot coach
3) Re 4/4II with EWII baggage car, 1st class coach, panorama coach, restaurant car, 3-4 2nd class coaches

I can also combine these consists with SBB EC Eurocity coaches (1/2) or with other coach types (UIC-Z Bpm, RIC B, etc) (Train 3)

For other trains, I have my CityNightLines in blue and white and red, my assorted Treno Notte, Thello, SNCF and other trains that you simply just can't model with Maerklin.
I would love to see Maerklin release more models to complement existing types to make the consists more complete.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
H0
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2019 09:22:50(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Forgetting accuracy for the moment, shorter coaches look better on a small layout that has tight turns.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2019 13:27:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Shorter Coaches will look much better on your smaller layout David. Have a look at Brawa for great detail but more expensive.
You don't need to buy all at the one time if too costly but add to the collection every few months.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.