Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2019 12:07:16(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hello everyone.
I am just entering the Marklin world with a purchase of the 29721 Era III Digital Freight Set. I have a plan for the layout that I want to build. I have costed all this up using Lippe prices - and ordered the set from them. I signed up for their premium membership and they gave me 10% discount off the train set, which has given me back a lot of the cost of that.

I have been able to manage this because of a "lump sum" acquired through use of Ebay etc. However, my wife and I live on a pension and once this sum is spent, I have a restricted amount to spend each month- which isn't a good reason for choosing Marklin of course - grin.

I am lucky, living in Ipswich, as I have a great model railway shop - Orwell Model Railways - and a dedicated European model railway shop - Scograil lolly. Scograil stocks Fleischmann, Roco, etc. I have spoken to Neil Scoggins at Scograil about, perhaps, buying Roco etc. freight and passenger cars instead of importing rather more expensive Marklin equivalents. He doesn't see a problem with, even, couplers as most have NEMs so can be changed if required.

I notice that Gaugemaster have a Roco set 67127 which contains eight EraIII (which matches my set) wagons listed at £56.00. I will get a discount on that from Scograil. Does this make sense and is it a way to go for a poor cash strapped pension (grin).

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2019 12:25:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Firstly only use your 10% discount for an item that costs more than the Premium customer subscription. (Too late now though) however you will get 4% back on everything else you buy from Lippe. Pointless buying in the UK as it will cost you considerably more than from buying in Germany. Lippe will get you your Roco etc cheaper and Gaugemaster prices are normally far too high. However for the 67127 set at £56 less a further discount then that is OK from the UK. Lippe would be less with your 4% discount but unless you can order more than 100 euros then the postage is higher.

If you are restricted to a monthly sum then wait for two or three months and buy from Lippe otherwise you have lost cash on your Premium membership.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2019 12:52:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi David,

I have this Roco set of goods wagons (Actually the almost identical DB version 44002). It is very good value and contains a great selection of wagons. I run these together with my Marklin wagons without any problems. I have not changed the wheels or the couplers.

They do the same set in various versions. Apart from your DR set and my DB set they also do a DRG, a NS and a CSD set. I'm considering buying another of these sets to add some variety to my trains. At that price they are worth it!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2019 13:29:59(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Firstly only use your 10% discount for an item that costs more than the Premium customer subscription. (Too late now though) however you will get 4% back on everything else you buy from Lippe. Pointless buying in the UK as it will cost you considerably more than from buying in Germany. Lippe will get you your Roco etc cheaper and Gaugemaster prices are normally far too high. However for the 67127 set at £56 less a further discount then that is OK from the UK. Lippe would be less with your 4% discount but unless you can order more than 100 euros then the postage is higher.

If you are restricted to a monthly sum then wait for two or three months and buy from Lippe otherwise you have lost cash on your Premium membership.

There is no bigger item on my list so I couldn't have done better. I like to support my LHS if I can so I will always check with Neil to see how he fairs.

I used to own a model shop with a trade account with Gaugemaster but I probably couldn't swing that now- grin - even though the account probably still exists!

My proposed track purchases come to Euros 390.00 so I should get the 4% off that so in total I will have got back a bit more of theist (less the 3% I would have got anyway).

It's all a bit complicated. I thought that when I left the City (I was a currency trader) I could forget about exchange rates etc. !

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2019 14:23:55(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
When buying C track, I suggest you check Joes prices, even if you have Premium in MLS. I am a Premium MSL customer also.
For example the 24611:
MLS is:20,69€ - 10%(Premium) = 18,6€. 18,6€ - 4%(Bonus for next buys) = 17,87€ (I don't know if I am doing the calculations exactly as they do, but is not much different)
Joes: 15,49€.
In Joes if you buy more than 100€ you also have free postage. Doesn't mean all C track items the difference is like this, but in general, it is worth Joes for C track.

Edit: the 10% is for a single buy during the membership period, so it is not the best to apply it to a cheap item, like the example I gave. It is worth for a buy above 500 euros.

Edited by user 23 January 2019 14:04:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline LongHairedDavid  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2019 14:25:47(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
When buying C track, I suggest you check Joes prices, even if you have Premium in MLS. I am a Premium MSL customer also.
For example the 24611:
MLS is:20,69€ - 10%(Premium) = 18,6€. 18,6€ - 4%(Bonus for next buys) = 17,87€ (I don't know if I am doing the calculations exactly as they do, but is not much different)
In Joes if you buy more than 100€ you also have free postage. Doesn't mean all C track items the difference is like this, but in general, it is worth Joes for C track.

Thank you. I did check out Joe's but can't remember why I didn't go there. I will price it up. Thanks.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2019 15:03:52(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

For example the 24611:

I hope that I have got this right but for the list of track that I want to buy Joes comes out at Euro 286.28 whilst Lippe is Euro 375.15!

For the 24611/12 points I need 3 of 11 and 6 of 12. On Joes, they have a combination price for a pair of Euro 29.50 whilst Lippe wants Euro 20.69 each!

My wife is insisting that I get the train set and run it before I spend any more of my budget! Once I (she) is happy - grin, I will try Joes.

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2019 15:20:50(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
For example the 24611:

Thank you. I did check out Joe's but can't remember why I didn't go there. I will price it up. Thanks.

My last efforts at German were around 50 years ago! I think that is why I didn't persevere. Now that I am into German model railways, I ought to try and get the skill going again! Mind you, I learned it whilst working for a Swiss Bank so my pronunciation may be a bit off - grin. How does it go? Eis, zwo dru, und so weiter!

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2019 17:03:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
For example the 24611:

Firstly David has used his 10% discount on his first order (although at a small loss as it did not meet the minimum order)
Also who is Joe and how can he do C track for EU 286 against Lippe at EU 375. I would have thought that was impossible (Davids figures) if who Joe is wants to make a profit on C track bought from Marklin.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mbarreto  
#10 Posted : 22 January 2019 17:54:22(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

... who is Joe ...

http://joes-modellbahnlaedle.net/

How he does, I have no idea. Some of the C track is probably from dismantling startsets...

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2019 20:56:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

... who is Joe ...

http://joes-modellbahnlaedle.net/

How he does, I have no idea. Some of the C track is probably from dismantling startsets...

Thanks for the link. Could not find an English version of the site but I priced a Loco and a coach against Lippe and both were exactly the same except I would get my extra 4% from Lippe. Could not find the C Track but there must be some reason for the prices David has quoted. Could be without boxes from start sets as you said but even then would be very cheap.

PS did now find the C Track and it is cheaper and I think it says in German it is from a start set. If he has a large turnover on these he must have a lot of start sets and therefore locos etc also from them going cheap.
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 22 January 2019 21:07:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Back to the initial question posed: mixing Roco and Märklin wagons should be no problem generally and getting all the wagons on the same coupler is typically a good strategy.
If you are using S88 sensing at some point to know where the locos/cars are located, then you would need to replace any DC wheels on the Roco wagons with the AC wheels so that the contact tracks work. Also there are a slight difference in the wheel spacing from AC to DC and maybe some other slight differences, so if you have derailing problems on the track, that may be another reason to look at the wheelsets on the Roco wagons, if running on Märklin track. For just S88 detection, if the cars are not derailing, you could also use a conductive silver paint on the wheel that is insulated to convert a non-conductive DC wheelset to an AC conductive style for a bit less cost, but you'd still have the DC wheel spacing.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline danmarklinman  
#13 Posted : 22 January 2019 21:28:22(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone.
I am just entering the Marklin world with a purchase of the 29721 Era III Digital Freight Set. I have a plan for the layout that I want to build. I have costed all this up using Lippe prices - and ordered the set from them. I signed up for their premium membership and they gave me 10% discount off the train set, which has given me back a lot of the cost of that.

I have been able to manage this because of a "lump sum" acquired through use of Ebay etc. However, my wife and I live on a pension and once this sum is spent, I have a restricted amount to spend each month- which isn't a good reason for choosing Marklin of course - grin.

I am lucky, living in Ipswich, as I have a great model railway shop - Orwell Model Railways - and a dedicated European model railway shop - Scograil lolly. Scograil stocks Fleischmann, Roco, etc. I have spoken to Neil Scoggins at Scograil about, perhaps, buying Roco etc. freight and passenger cars instead of importing rather more expensive Marklin equivalents. He doesn't see a problem with, even, couplers as most have NEMs so can be changed if required.

I notice that Gaugemaster have a Roco set 67127 which contains eight EraIII (which matches my set) wagons listed at £56.00. I will get a discount on that from Scograil. Does this make sense and is it a way to go for a poor cash strapped pension (grin).

David

Hi David, I just wanted to warn you that some makes, as stated above might have DC wheel sets and different couplers which as stated can be changed. This might sometimes not help you though? On some Roco wagons the buffers are lower than Marklin wagons and so there will not be enough room for the two wagons coupled together with Marklin close couplers. This will cause derailment and you stress😱 unless you wish to change all your couplers or mix and match, stay with Marklin. But as you have said, you might not want to buy new Marklin, there are second hand dealers. Such as contikits?
http://www.contikits.com/Page7.htm
Ask to have Marklin ac wheels. They will fit them if you ask?
Failing that and you want to run other makes, I have a Brawa wagon which is lovely 😊, you can take the metal piece of the Marklin coupler and it will still couple to the other wagons which do??
Hope this helps, have fun. I’m in the UK so if you wish to chat on the phone about Marklin issues. Pm me and I will send you my mob number. Thanks Dan.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline mbarreto  
#14 Posted : 22 January 2019 22:15:40(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Relative to the initial subject of the thread, different makes of wagons coupled, I mix Brawa, Märklin, Fleischman and Trix usually without problems as long as I use the same couplers. I am stricktly talking about Ep. I wagons (not coaches). Ep. I wagons are small. About other type of mixes I have no experience.

Relative to the sub-subject of this thread (Joes vs MLS), I think Joes have good prices for locomotives and other rolling stock, but in general if one sticks to MLKS, in the end the total price is lower. On the other side, Joes seems to have older items longer in stock and as you guessed he has locomotives and other roling stock from startsets for sale.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 22 January 2019 23:10:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
As I mentioned in my post above, I have the Roco wagon set that David is asking about and my wagons run perfectly on my C-track layout without having had to change wheels or couplers. The Roco couplers that come on these wagons work well with both Marklin close couplers and Marklin 'Relex' couplers of the newer plastic type.

On a couple of the wagons I have swapped to the Marklin close couplers just to have closer spacing between wagons and this has been painless too. The Roco wagons have close coupler kinematic mechanisms so buffer locking is not a problem.

At the price these Roco wagon sets are sold you get a price per wagon of less than £10, making them the cheapest new wagons you can find today. In terms of quality of finish they are comparable with Marklin wagons in the 46xxx range.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF