Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Melbourne marklin  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2019 13:06:34(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Hi all can anyone tell me if roco ac loks work on marklin c track ?
Do you get full digital functionality with lights and sound?
Do you need to change over couplers?
Many thx
A newbie to this hobby, All Marklin HO, Swiss only, across all eras, largeish 5m x 4m layout in planning, small table top training table in operation.
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2019 13:50:52(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Melbourne marklin Go to Quoted Post
Many thx

I have a few ROCO AC locos that I use regularly.
Some of the early ones (from the 1980's and 90's) had a few issues , and I felt the 3 rail versions had not been completely thought out.
But in the last few years I have acquired a number of them and they are all operating perfectly, whether Diesel, electrics or steam!

These are mostly French, Italian and Swiss models that Märklin has not yet proposed.

They are now equipped with Zimo decoders with Railcom enabled , and that has my preference. (I run my trains with an ESU ECos, and loco registration is **way** faster with Railcom vs MfX!!)

Only caveat with the couplers: on practically all of them, I use the ROCO so called "Universal" coupler , as often the Marklin short couplers interfere with details like buffers. Best is to equip the first coach/wagon with the same ROCO coupler.

Other than that, they are running very smoothly, the light system is very accurate and the sounds are definitely more realistic than the loud and annoying Märklin tintamarre!

Special mention for my Roco FS Tartaruga E444 which really looks extremely cool in front of my Mediolanum and Lemano TEE consists!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2019 14:03:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
it is sometimes annoying when manufacturers bring out locos in different versions by that I mean Hobby, Expert etc etc. models, when you buy the sound version you get all your different light functions but when you buy the basic model you get basic light functions., other than that Jacques described your query in full boom.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline midwestbls  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2019 17:49:42(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Digital is digital, the tracks don't matter if the lok is operational. They are built to run on Marklin track as it's practically the only manufacturer of 3-rail track. There can be issues - I've had to do a lot of adjustment to the slider on my large Roco BLS Ae 8/8 as it would hang up on the wide-radius C-track turnouts as the middle studs rise up over a greater distance through the turnout vs. the shorter-radius turnouts.

The long, 1:87, 303mm Roco passenger cars can have some difficulty on tight curves (R1 for sure, sometimes R2), especially through R2 "S" curves including turnouts. Avoiding an "S" curve is helpful, or if only in station/yard leads through turnouts keep speed slow and limit to one "S" per 2-care length. I have not had problems with 303mm coaches on R2 without an "S" curve. You do have to watch the track overhang with these long coaches on R2 curves. I agree with jvue that when running Roco coaches together, use the Roco close-couplers - I have a couple of consists that have M coupler at front to connect to lok, but keep the cars together with Roco couplers.
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by midwestbls
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2019 18:00:19(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Many thx

I have a few ROCO AC locos that I use regularly.
Some of the early ones (from the 1980's and 90's) had a few issues , and I felt the 3 rail versions had not been completely thought out.
But in the last few years I have acquired a number of them and they are all operating perfectly, whether Diesel, electrics or steam!

These are mostly French, Italian and Swiss models that Märklin has not yet proposed.

They are now equipped with Zimo decoders with Railcom enabled , and that has my preference. (I run my trains with an ESU ECos, and loco registration is **way** faster with Railcom vs MfX!!)

Only caveat with the couplers: on practically all of them, I use the ROCO so called "Universal" coupler , as often the Marklin short couplers interfere with details like buffers. Best is to equip the first coach/wagon with the same ROCO coupler.

Other than that, they are running very smoothly, the light system is very accurate and the sounds are definitely more realistic than the loud and annoying Märklin tintamarre!

Special mention for my Roco FS Tartaruga E444 which really looks extremely cool in front of my Mediolanum and Lemano TEE consists!

That Tartaruga (and requisite decal) is great! Mine is pulling the same consist...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2019 21:19:28(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Many thx

I purchased a Roco last year (steam engine BR 012) and tested it on C track and it ran just fine. Slider works and it even runs in R1 curves.
Digital stuff all works as it should (there is no issue there ever, if anything were to be an issue, from what I gather, it would be with sliders and wheel spacing, but if an AC version is provided from the factory it would be designed to work on Märklin C-track for sure).

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
#7 Posted : 14 January 2019 22:12:06(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Gentleman thank for you all for your detailed replies. cheers
A newbie to this hobby, All Marklin HO, Swiss only, across all eras, largeish 5m x 4m layout in planning, small table top training table in operation.
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2019 05:17:34(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I run a large number of Roco locos on my K track without issue.

Worth noting that the track type has no bearing on loco functions etc, that comes down to your control unit.

All Roco locos support DCC so long as your controller supports the protocol (ie. CS2/3, MS2/3 etc) then you will be able to use all of its features.

Again, couplers have no bearing on the track. Everything these days use NEM pockets for the couplers, so you can change couplers as required.
For example for my Roco carriages I use the Roco couplers and just swap the end that connects to my Marklin loco with a Marklin coupler.
Same goes for Fleischmann.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline PJMärklin  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2019 11:53:31(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Many thx

Hello Jonathon,

In the last 36 years I have acquired four Roco 3-rail trains to run on my K-track layout. The vast majority of my
locos/EMUs are Märklin, I also have a few (old manufacture) HAG and a few 3-rail PIKO (which I particularly like
- thanks again Ray for putting me on to Piko).

I had purchased the Roco because Märklin did not make that particular loco at that time (or since) , or I just felt
the Roco version was more accurate to prototype. Later I have converted them all to digital using earlier Märklin
decoders (I now tend to use predominantly ESU decoders).
As you can see some of the images are old and date my layout.

I bought this DB VT 98 railcar in the 1980's because I felt the Märklin equivalent was not accurate to prototype
(not that I am a "rivet counter" - it just looked a lot better) :

UserPostedImage

At the time that I bought this Roco VT 11.5 in the 1980's, Märklin did not make one. I have since acquired the Märklin
version which is much better (but also benefits from being much more recently produced).
It (the VT 11.5) remains my favourite train:

UserPostedImage

Again, I was quite enamoured of the DB 112 TEE loco in the 1980's but Märklin did not make one so I purchased
this Roco. I subsequently bought the Märklin version which is much better ( but again a much more recent production) :

UserPostedImage

Finally I have always been fond of the ÖBB 1044 which towed us across Austria from München to Wien
in the early 1980's and I have this Roco 3 rail. Regrettably Märklin (IMMSMC) have not made this loco :

UserPostedImage

I have been quite happy with the Roco's on my layout but they are much lighter than the Märklin with
the expected consequences ( I think river6109 adds weight).
The Roco couplers have worked fine with my Märklin rolling stock.

Our venerable member river6109 has extensive experience with Roco on his K track Märklin layout.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
#10 Posted : 18 January 2019 23:56:44(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Thanks PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Melbourne marklin
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2019 16:10:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

At the time that I bought this Roco VT 11.5 in the 1980's, Märklin did not make one. I have since acquired the Märklin
version which is much better (but also benefits from being much more recently produced).
It (the VT 11.5) remains my favourite train:

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ

My Märklin VT 11.5 is one of my very favorites too PJ - what a gorgeous train!

The Roco train looks very nice too but it is hard to make comparisons just by pictures. I see that the Roco version does have interior lighting in the power units, which is the one thing I would wish for in my Märklin model. But it is so sturdy and well built that I just love to watch it run and it is one train that is almost always on my layout regardless of what else I am running. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj