Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2019 03:50:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I got the chance to put my new Roco 79956 SBB Cargo/LokRoll Vectron (193 478) through it's initial paces.
I was surprised to see that there are some differences between this model and my earlier 79920 BLS Cargo Re 475.
The first thing that I noticed is that the lights do not work in the same way. When I placed the lok on the rails and activated F1, only the white headlights went on. There were no taillights. You cannot access the rear lighting functions using the 6021. I was able to access a single red taillight using F15 on my MS2, but the other light options are positioned in F16-F20. I will be able to explore and test those functions using the Lok Test function on my ESU Lokprogrammer.

Overall the lok is well done. Something looked a little amiss at first glance and it dawned on me that the little footplate between the buffers, which is gray on the BLS Re 475, is red on the new SBB Cargo model. This looks a little out of place. Other than that, the model looks impressive.

Mechanically, the lok is equipped with one pair of traction tires per bogie, meaning that it should have good traction.
The roof and pantographs are nicely detailed and correspond to photos of the prototype.

The model has high beams, which are directionally dependant and can be accessed with MS or 6021 (2nd Motorola address).
I will provide more details about the functions as I have a chance to explore them in more detail.

The lok is planned to be hauling a Hupac Container or KLV (mixed container and trailer) train.

One thing that I was curious about was whether the lok is named "Gottardo" or whether it says "Gotthard" one one side or end.
The model has "Gottardo" in all spots.

The same curiosity exists about the second (79944) model, whether it say "Simplon" and "Sempione" or just "Simplon"?

A few weeks, railcolor.net published a photo of the decor that they created for one of the Hupac/SBB Vectrons and I have decided to skip the "Simplon" and wait for the "Nightpiercer" in model: https://railcolornews.co...is-the-new-nightpiercer/

https://railcolordesign....2018/12/14/nightpiercer/

I wonder whether we will see either a LokRoll/SBBC Vectron or Nightpiercer from Maerklin for 2019?
I am still waiting for an ELL/SBBC Vectron with 4 pantographs. The one Maerklin released, is not authorized for operation in Switzerland and like the "Alpaezaehmer" and "Rastattless" 189s on the market, would not be seen in the regions that my collection covers.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline seatrains  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2019 05:09:58(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Mike, any chance of posting a photo of this great model? Please..begging...kind of...
Love your wonderful posts.ThumpUp
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2019 09:32:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
Mike, any chance of posting a photo of this great model? Please..begging...kind of...
Love your wonderful posts.ThumpUp

here is a video:

another video with the new loco at 16.35

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2019 15:07:56(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I have held off on getting a Piko or Roco version of this to see if Marklin will release it in 2019. Looks like we will know sometime next week!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2019 18:43:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Not mine, but here are a few videos of the Roco model:

This one is a comparison of sounds between Roco and Maerklin BLS Re 475 models.

Enjoy

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2019 19:03:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
I have held off on getting a Piko or Roco version of this to see if Marklin will release it in 2019. Looks like we will know sometime next week!

I looked at the Maerklin ELL/SBB Cargo Vectron, but did not go for that model, because it is of the version with 2 pantographs that can only be used in Germany and Austria. The ones that come into Switzerland have 4 pantographs.

I considered the Maerklin Re 475 before getting the Roco one. The level of detail of the Maerklin model in some regards matched that of the Hobby models and the Roco model has more details and much better sound.

The Vectron is the foreseeable future of European rail. It seems to be taking over and there is definitely more of an industry buzz on this class than on other products from Bombardier and other companies.

I am still waiting for models to come from LSM, Jaegerndorfer and other companies, but for now, the Roco model is the best.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c