Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2019 12:56:50(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Just a thought. I was wondering about how similar in body style the e320 and ice 4 are. I see that the cab are not. But are the coaches?? And will Marklin do a tooling change to produce an e320?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline ShannonN  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2019 14:41:10(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Just a thought. I was wondering about how similar in body style the e320 and ice 4 are. I see that the cab are not. But are the coaches?? And will Marklin do a tooling change to produce an e320?

Seems a strange request to say ok Marklin can we have a e320 please, when they can't give up much in the way of US locos or British steam locos first?

Is the e320 popular enough to warrant tooling etc for a (new) expensive model? Does the existing ice series not fulfill the role of a HST/VFT train.

The similarities are a result of aerodynamics yet each cab is an individual design of each manufacturer, I guess otherwise they would all be the same The e320 probably has a bit of a different profile as its really made for the tunnel transit and different aero would exist in a tunnel?

Are the coaches in real life altogether different in height, shape, roofline and curvature?

Maybe Marklin could make a new loco (e320) and reuse existing ice carriages painted differently thus keeping tooling and costs to a minimum

Why not ask for a shinkasan and Maglev as well :)

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline mario54i  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2019 15:16:50(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
e320 is a Siemens Velaro. I would say more similar to ICE3 than ICE4
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline ShannonN  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2019 15:22:46(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

Given Dans discussion on ice4 and e320 similarites/differences though I'd throw up a video of each and see what are the similarity's or not

Eurostar London to Amsterdam - the VERY FIRST train! 4th April 2018

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline danmarklinman  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2019 15:41:22(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post

Seems a strange request to say ok Marklin can we have a e320 please, when they can't give up much in the way of US locos or British steam locos first?

Is the e320 popular enough to warrant tooling etc for a (new) expensive model? Does the existing ice series not fulfill the role of a HST/VFT train.

The similarities are a result of aerodynamics yet each cab is an individual design of each manufacturer, I guess otherwise they would all be the same The e320 probably has a bit of a different profile as its really made for the tunnel transit and different aero would exist in a tunnel?

Are the coaches in real life altogether different in height, shape, roofline and curvature?

Maybe Marklin could make a new loco (e320) and reuse existing ice carriages painted differently thus keeping tooling and costs to a minimum

Hi, I can see your point, about the us locos. Not in the British steam.? Uk models are made at a scale of 1/76 and so expensive tooling will be waisted on a ho uk steamer.? Apparently Roco have got the fingers burnt with there US British loading gauge stuff in the past?
https://www.roco.cc/en/p...00-501-002/products.html
The e320 runs in 4 different Countries? Not a bad sales area, when you think that the Netherlands and Belgium are two places were Marklin sells there products well? Apart from that, it’s nice looking and has a good paint job?
Dan
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline ShannonN  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2019 17:45:42(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

Hi, I can see your point, about the us locos. Not in the British steam.? Uk models are made at a scale of 1/76 and so expensive tooling will be waisted on a ho uk steamer.? Apparently Roco have got the fingers burnt with there US British loading gauge stuff in the past?

The e320 runs in 4 different Countries? Not a bad sales area, when you think that the Netherlands and Belgium are two places were Marklin sells there products well? Apart from that, it’s nice looking and has a good paint job?
Dan

You make a sound argument re potential countries for sale of e320 But I'll disagree re British trains and such

I have run both US HO, British OO and Marklin HO models on their relative 2 or 3 rail tracks mainly side by side to be honest I've never really noticed much of a difference in scale between HO and OO when the trains are running, OO fit under HO bridges, tunnels etc AFAIK and if the couplers are set correctly don't make a difference in running across turnouts.

I have mixed HO and OO wagons in the same consist and you would be hard pressed to notice the diff.

Longer trains running on R1 curves I could envisage there will be some noticeable difference, ONLY if you are running the same length same profile train in HO on the same track. Otherwise its really just a excuse so often used to not use OO. I buy my trains to run, I do NOT sit them close together at terminus ends where any diff may be compared.

heck I even have had some S scale carriages set at back of junk siding but due to planning and perspective they look about right.

I really think there are many who are rivet counters and for who everything must be exactly like that picture they took in 19xx of the local favourite on the local now decommissioned line right down to the colour and the length of the grass . RollEyes

Marklin sells in UK, Australia, RSA, India where British locos were the first steam locos used and exported, please I use your own good argument for increased demand and sales potential areas.

What if if Marklin used Hornby body shells over a Marklin (3) rail chassis and motors and decoders to suit, as long as all carriages are OO it looks ok. Marklin has rebadged other manufacturers brands in the past hasn't it?

Some of the Marklin buying public by "refusing" to accept OO scale in any form is crippling a potential market and maybe holding back many who are not so fussy (ME) from ever getting a Marklin produced and warranted Genuine factory British model rather than have to resort to convert a 2 rail digital (in my case) Hornby product?

No offense to rivet counters just my opinion as a model user
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2019 18:26:28(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

Dan

You make a sound argument re potential countries for sale of e320 But I'll disagree re British trains and such

I have run both US HO, British OO and Marklin HO models on their relative 2 or 3 rail tracks mainly side by side to be honest I've never really noticed much of a difference in scale between HO and OO when the trains are running, OO fit under HO bridges, tunnels etc AFAIK and if the couplers are set correctly don't make a difference in running across turnouts.

I have mixed HO and OO wagons in the same consist and you would be hard pressed to notice the diff.

Longer trains running on R1 curves I could envisage there will be some noticeable difference, ONLY if you are running the same length same profile train in HO on the same track. Otherwise its really just a excuse so often used to not use OO. I buy my trains to run, I do NOT sit them close together at terminus ends where any diff may be compared.

heck I even have had some S scale carriages set at back of junk siding but due to planning and perspective they look about right.

I really think there are many who are rivet counters and for who everything must be exactly like that picture they took in 19xx of the local favourite on the local now decommissioned line right down to the colour and the length of the grass . RollEyes

Marklin sells in UK, Australia, RSA, India where British locos were the first steam locos used and exported, please I use your own good argument for increased demand and sales potential areas.

What if if Marklin used Hornby body shells over a Marklin (3) rail chassis and motors and decoders to suit, as long as all carriages are OO it looks ok. Marklin has rebadged other manufacturers brands in the past hasn't it?

Some of the Marklin buying public by "refusing" to accept OO scale in any form is crippling a potential market and maybe holding back many who are not so fussy (ME) from ever getting a Marklin produced and warranted Genuine factory British model rather than have to resort to convert a 2 rail digital (in my case) Hornby product?

No offense to rivet counters just my opinion as a model user

None taken😁I run French along side Belgium and all but one or two wagons are Marklin. My reason for Marklin not doing British is the uk Market is uk modellers are generally rivet spotters and I imagine Marklin wish to pursue the Market there use to. It would however be good to see a British built war dept 2,10,0 used all over Europe and taken into stock for the Netherlands railways. But that’s wishful thinking.😁 it took Marklin long enough to Make a real French built steam locomotive at 600 euros😱 but very much worth it. And was a great success for them?
Hornby steam locomotives are very nice anyway, especially the new Coronation Pacific?
My personal wish, will be a e320 as I’ve travelled on them, and the older Eurostar as well.
Have fun with your trains👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2019 19:24:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have some Hornby Pullman coaches and they definitely look oversized when coupled to an HO loco - 12% difference is quite a lot.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline ShannonN  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2019 23:00:23(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I have some Hornby Pullman coaches and they definitely look oversized when coupled to an HO loco - 12% difference is quite a lot.

Hi Alan,
Thanks for joining the discussion and pointing that out. All the more reason for Marklin to provide a realistic complete set in HO or a rebadged OO loco. That is: British loco with matching carriages, Era appropriate. whether HO or not is a debatable thing.

Dan's contribution highlights the perception UK enthusiasts would shudder at the thought of HO British locos for the reason you have mentioned, HO loco is smaller, looks a bit off hauling Hornby coaches.

But hang on, how many Marklin 3 rail users in the UK replicating the British railways? I'd say not many or they would have bought Hornby from the start. This suggests the European, Aussie, RSA, Indian markets still exist and a HO scale British loco with british rolling stock would be a seller from day one. A British OO body on a HO chasis would take care of situations where we have heaps of OO rolling stiock.

If Marklin make your hornby style Pullman coaches in HO then it will match whatever loco you are currently using.
Would You buy it?

while I get its annoying, hauling with an existing HO non British loco allows you to use and enjoy the carriages purchased. as obviously you are not pulling the consist with a matching scale loco cause none exist?

What are your thoughts on having a converted Hornby OO loco pull those same carriages. Is it a no never response or great they would all look the same response?

I now have many hornby duplo carriages yes they are longer and a bit bigger, but I choose not to notice any difference and get on with running the trains. I'm sure I could find images online esp. in USA of rolling stock that looked oversized compared to locos esp in branchline and shunting?

At the end of the day its our layout, our hobby and our trains and we all will always do it our way BigGrin

I just wish I could afford some of the beautiful stuff Marklin already makes, let alone have enough room to build THE layout and maybe for most of us THAT is the more important question of model railways.

Its NOT about rivets, guard rails or era, but how much room you have and how much money to spend that dictates your purchases, wish lists are like bucket lists we all make them and then never get to do them as they are a dream.

Happy Modeling

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 11 January 2019 23:51:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Given Dans discussion on ice4 and e320 similarites/differences though I'd throw up a video of each and see what are the similarity's or not

Merged the two topics....

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz