Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Antonio Galimberti  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2019 12:46:12(UTC)
Antonio Galimberti

Italy   
Hi,
I am newing on train model and layout. Due to small available "area", I have choosen for the Z scale.
Planning the layout, my main points is the minimum curve radius. I know that Märklin specs says 145mm radius, but I want to gather info on minimum allowed curve radius for locomotives and wagons....
This could be helpfull for small layout (like mine), allowing to use the 55mm turnout from Rokuhan.

Searching on web I have not found clear info, just some video of 0-6-0 locomotive on 95mm curves.
I have done some test and measurements on starting kit (done on Rokuhan oval and on an Märklin rail oval with 95mm radius)
Base locomitive tive 0-6-0 can handle 95mm radius, also at 3% slope or more
2 axis wagons do the same
3 axis wagon (passenger wagon of 87040 kit) cannot. I have not check, but they should allow the 120mm

Has anybody make some data or has do some tests?
Thanks,
Antonio
Online Bahner  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2019 17:05:30(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Antonio Galimberti Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I am newing on train model and layout. Due to small available "area", I have choosen for the Z scale.
Planning the layout, my main points is the minimum curve radius. I know that Märklin specs says 145mm radius, but I want to gather info on minimum allowed curve radius for locomotives and wagons....
This could be helpfull for small layout (like mine), allowing to use the 55mm turnout from Rokuhan.

Searching on web I have not found clear info, just some video of 0-6-0 locomotive on 95mm curves.
I have done some test and measurements on starting kit (done on Rokuhan oval and on an Märklin rail oval with 95mm radius)
3 axis wagon (passenger wagon of 87040 kit) cannot. I have not check, but they should allow the 120mm

Thanks,
Antonio

I also started Z scale quite recently and had the same questions for the tightest Marklin 145 mm radius curve. The information that I found provided only bits and pieces from all over the web which gave me some indication of what might work and what probably wouldn't.

I had to do my own testing (smallest curve radii and maximum % for the consists that I planned to run on the layout), but since I'm using only Marklin track my results are only good for their tightest radius curve.

Ralph.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2019 13:45:49(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I think I'm right in saying that the very tight radius Rokuhan track is intended for use with their "Shorty" models. If you really can't find room for larger radius curves you might want to look at their range.

For what it's worth, I've not gone tighter than 220mm curves on my layout, and I find them too tight to look really good. It's fair to say, I am aiming for a spacious, uncluttered look, though.

All the best

Chris
Offline Antonio Galimberti  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2019 19:06:30(UTC)
Antonio Galimberti

Italy   
Originally Posted by: Bahner Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Antonio

I also started Z scale quite recently and had the same questions for the tightest Marklin 145 mm radius curve. The information that I found provided only bits and pieces from all over the web which gave me some indication of what might work and what probably wouldn't.

I had to do my own testing (smallest curve radii and maximum % for the consists that I planned to run on the layout), but since I'm using only Marklin track my results are only good for their tightest radius curve.

Ralph.

Thanks Ralph,
Probably I will do the same.....
Originally I was thinking to "delay" to buy the second locomotive, but now I will buy it and make tests on 120mm and 145mm curve.
I will post the results, just in case it could help someone.
Antonio
Online Bahner  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2019 03:12:31(UTC)
Bahner

United States   

Thanks Ralph,
Probably I will do the same.....
Originally I was thinking to "delay" to buy the second locomotive, but now I will buy it and make tests on 120mm and 145mm curve.
I will post the results, just in case it could help someone.
Antonio

What I found is that for steam locomotives those with three fixed axles are fine on a 145 mm radius (any additional axles on the bogies don't matter since they'll turn in with the curve). I have a five solid axle tank locomotive I bought before designing my layout and while it'll get through the 145 mm radius, it doesn't do it very well. I could imagine that a four solid axle locomotive would work okay with the 145 mm radius, but can't say for sure (I suspect it would have difficulties with a 120 mm radius).

Hope that helps.

Ralph.

Edited by user 13 January 2019 12:23:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified