Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline garben  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2019 02:12:39(UTC)
garben

United States   
Hello,

Would anyone know when the first Marklin Museum cars where issued HO? I’d like complete my collection.

Same for the Christmas cars.

Thanks.
Offline kamstutz  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2019 03:42:36(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: garben Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Would anyone know when the first Marklin Museum cars where issued HO? I’d like complete my collection.

Same for the Christmas cars.

Thanks.

According to my 2017 Koll's Spezial Katalog -

The first Museum cars look to be issued in 1985.

I think that the first "officially" branded Christmas cars were issued in 1999, but cars with Christmas themes seem to have appeared prior to that year - as in 1994 there was a "Frohes Fest" car issued. (Koll's #94706)

A Wiki user/collector has registered quite a number of both the Museum and Christmas "Special Wagon" categories in the MRC Wiki (click to visit website) project and you can have a look. Register on the Wiki if you'd like to manage your collection and/or contribute to the railroad database (shameless plug from the author of the project) Wink . Here are some of the Christmas Wagons currently in the Wiki. There are many Museum wagons as well.

MarklinChristmasWagons.jpg

Kurt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2019 05:14:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Definitely the first museum car was issued in 1985. The 1985 car isn't cheap, it usually sells on ebay for around 400 euros. You also need to watch out for fake wagons.

Our club has all of the museum wagons except the 1985 one, and if anyone has a reasonably priced one for sale.....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2019 06:26:03(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Our club has all of the museum wagons except the 1985 one, and if anyone has a reasonably priced one for sale.....

Until then you can buy a similar wagon, paint it completely black (like a shadow), an put on display with the others as the "mysterious first one".

A friend of mine has one, he paid around 1000 Euroes for it. I was flabbergasted. Personally, I would not pay this much, but each to his own. I hope you find one though!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2019 15:04:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

Until then you can buy a similar wagon, paint it completely black (like a shadow), an put on display with the others as the "mysterious first one".

A friend of mine has one, he paid around 1000 Euroes for it. I was flabbergasted. Personally, I would not pay this much, but each to his own. I hope you find one though!

That is more like the price I would expect, then 400 Euro (which sounds exceptionally cheap).

The replica ones seem to be the very similar wagon from the 125 Year commemoration set that has a number of weathered wagons. The yellow boxcar is very similar to the Museum wagon (IIRC this set also came out in 1985) with minor differences like the markings on the destination board.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline garben  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2019 21:24:02(UTC)
garben

United States   
Thanks all!

I’ll check out the Wiki.

$1000 and watch out for fakes.... Thanks for the heads up.

Happy New Year.
Offline garben  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2019 02:10:10(UTC)
garben

United States   
Definitely the first museum car was issued in 1985. The 1985 car isn't cheap, it usually sells on ebay for around 400 euros. You also need to watch out for fake wagons.

Follow-up question, what in particular should I be aware of when trying to make sure the car is authentic? Do you have examples of what I should be looking for?

Thanks.
Offline Tiki734  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2019 05:44:20(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Hi
It's not so much as a fake. The original museum wagon has "Museum" printed on the side. The non original does not. I think the non original was sold in a set or individually so it's pretty common and sells for about 60Euros. I would say anywhere around 1000Euros is what they sell for so anything less is a so called bargain. I've been chasing one for 10 years and have finally given up. Even the 86,87,88 and 89 values have halved over the years but the 85 has increased.
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tiki734
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2019 21:17:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The 1985 car isn't cheap, it usually sells on ebay for around 400 euros.

In my defense, the 400 euro value came from when I was looking for 1985 Museum cars on ebay several years ago for our club. No doubt prices have gone up since then.

This auction, which finished few days ago, went for just over 600 euros which is north of my 400 euros but way south of the 1000 euros some have mentioned.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...d=p2047675.m43663.l44720
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz