Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline waterslip  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2019 00:46:37(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hello community,
I have an M-Track layout powered by a transformer 6646, I am planning on expanding and eventually upgrading to a C-Track layout and in the long term switching everything to digital.
But for now I want to keep using my Marklin 6646 with the new C-Track layout, how would I set up the C-Track to work with the 6646 and feed power the layout ? Thanks,
Online PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2019 03:03:14(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi,

If you are planning on connecting your M track directly to C track you would need 2 of the M to C track transition tracks 24951. Depending on the size of your layout you might not need to add additional power feeds to the track. However, assuming that you have to add additional power feed wires this time to the C track then you would need the Marklin C track feeder wire set 74040. Normal practice for digital operation is to add a set of power feeder wires approx. every 6 feet of track length.

Peter
Offline waterslip  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2019 03:38:12(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
1. If I was to add an additional 74040 feeder to the CTrack how would I connect it to the transformer in addition to the current MTrack feeder that's already connected? Would I need an extra transformer ?

And what special tools/items do I need to setup 74040 ? Do I just run the wires from the track to the transformer ?

2. And I want to eventually convert to digital using the Marklin 80f and 6021, how can I go about setting them up ?
Online PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2019 04:17:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: waterslip Go to Quoted Post
1. If I was to add an additional 74040 feeder to the CTrack how would I connect it to the transformer in addition to the current MTrack feeder that's already connected? Would I need an extra transformer ?

And what special tools/items do I need to setup 74040 ? Do I just run the wires from the track to the transformer ?

2. And I want to eventually convert to digital using the Marklin 80f and 6021, how can I go about setting them up ?

1. Since I believe the transformer you are using has the push clip connections, I doubt it would be feasible to push in a second set of wires. So what I would do is run a wire from the red terminal to a terminal strip and then connect all the red wires you plan on adding to that terminal strip. Repeat this for the brown wire. In analog if you are only running one track then you would only need one transformer. However, if you plan on isolating your tracks in order to independently run another train then you would need an additional transformer.

For the 74040 wire set, the blade connectors connect to the appropriate spade connectors below the track (red to B and brown to O). To connect the other end to the terminal strip you need a screwdriver or the appropriate plugs depending on what terminal strip you plan on using.

2. The 6021 connects to the track the same way with the red and brown wires. However, you can now run more than one locomotive on the same track without worrying about isolation of separate track circuits. The 80F just plugs directly into the 6021.

Peter