Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline amartinezv  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2019 21:56:57(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello

My last acquisition the crocodile insider 39567, is an incredible model full of details, my central is the IntelliBox (IB) I used the DCC option, and this way I can access all functions (28) of the locomotive, the pantograph rises very smoothly with a light rebound at the end. I changed the DCC address and adjusted the volume of the sounds.

Some pics:
39567 (1).jpg
39567 (2).jpg
39567 (3).jpg

But I have a little trouble:

I can always read the decoder CVs. No problem here.
When writing CVs I get an error message most of the time and don't write the CV.
Very rarely gives the error message and does write the CV (???)
He rarely writes CVs well without error.
Due to this problem, configuring the decoder correctly is tedious.

I think some time ago this problem was discussed and had to do with the input impedance and was solved by connecting a resistor in series with the programming track, but I'm not sure about that.

And finally, does anyone know the maximum speed of this locomotive?

Best regards and happy new year

Hello again

I've been doing some research and I've narrowed the problem down a bit.
In principle I can write CVs, sometimes I get an error message, but insisting a couple of times the writing operation gives ok.
But, I wanted to use the address 142 (the license plate number is 14282) and when I try to write 142 I get error all the time. I'm using DCC mode, and trying to write in CV(1), according to marklin documentation the address is 1 to 80 with 6021 and 1 to 255 with MS1 and 2.

In DCC you can use the range of addresses from 1 to 255 without major problem, I do it with my IB.
Well I try the option of long addresses and it is impossible to get the error message.
Then I start to test which addresses it admits, and I see that I can write in the CV(1) any value between 1 and 127, but from 128 onwards I get an error message.
Why is this? Has anyone had any experience using marklin decoders in DCC mode?
Thank you and happy new year 2019

Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2019 22:14:23(UTC)
H0

In DCC you can use addresses 1 through 10239 (e.g. with MS2 - CS2/3 and IB are limited to 1 to 9999).

But CV 1 is limited to 1 to 127.

With IB, use the menu entry to program long addresses for addresses above 127.
With Märklin decoders you may have to click "OK" three times until it finally succeeds. It seems early Märklin decoders have a DCC timing problem.
Drive the loco using the current address before trying to program it - another quirk of the Märklin decoders (buggier than Maine in June).

You cannot expect DCC decoders to work properly when you write 142 into CV 1.
ESU decoders allow values up to 255 in CV 1, but addresses above 127 usually only work in MM mode.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2019 23:37:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

In DCC you can use the range of addresses from 1 to 255 without major problem, I do it with my IB.

Umm, are you sure that is using DCC addresses? You can certainly do that with MM addresses on an IB, which are allowed to go beyond the old Marklin upper limit of 80.

If you are definitely using DCC addresses then it may be that the IB is using only long DCC addresses, and your other locos where you can do this are set up as long addresses, or the IB is automatically switching between short and long at some boundary (see below)

Well I try the option of long addresses and it is impossible to get the error message.

That is correct. Long addresses can be from 0 to 10239 as Tom (H0) noted, so if you try and set 142 as a long address it will complete without error (unless the decoder had some other problem that stopped it writing).

Then I start to test which addresses it admits, and I see that I can write in the CV(1) any value between 1 and 127, but from 128 onwards I get an error message.
Why is this? Has anyone had any experience using marklin decoders in DCC mode?
Thank you and happy new year 2019

That is normal DCC operation for a short address. CV1 only stores a short address. A long address is stored in two other CV registers AND a bit needs to be changed in another CV to switch the decoder between short address mode and long address mode.
I suspect the MS2 will handle all this automagically if you ask it to program a long address into the decoder so it is all invisible to the end user. It is possible to have a short address that is different to a long address and switch between them by changing the bit in the other CV (CV29 IIRC) without otherwise reprogramming the address.

The next trick - coming back to your claim that the IB quite happily goes from 1 to 255 DCC addresses - is that some companies making control units treat low numbered addresses entered as a loco address to select a loco as a short address, and then automatically switch to using long addresses above a certain number.

See this web page for a description of how different manufacturers distinguish between short and long addresses versus the NMRA definitions for them. I don't know at what address the MS2 switches between short and long addresses, or if it can use long addresses 127 and down. The IB may also automatically switch between short and long at some boundary other than 127/128.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline amartinezv  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2019 09:35:56(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
In DCC you can use addresses 1 through 10239 (e.g. with MS2 - CS2/3 and IB are limited to 1 to 9999).

But CV 1 is limited to 1 to 127.

With IB, use the menu entry to program long addresses for addresses above 127.
With Märklin decoders you may have to click "OK" three times until it finally succeeds. It seems early Märklin decoders have a DCC timing problem.
Drive the loco using the current address before trying to program it - another quirk of the Märklin decoders (buggier than Maine in June).

You cannot expect DCC decoders to work properly when you write 142 into CV 1.
ESU decoders allow values up to 255 in CV 1, but addresses above 127 usually only work in MM mode.

Thank you Tom for you quick answer, I hope today I can try the 3 enter trick for long addresses.

There was an error in my previous message, when I try to write 142 as a long address I always get the error message.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2019 09:46:11(UTC)
H0

There was an error in my previous message, when I try to write 142 as a long address I always get the error message.
A simple test is reading a CV, e.g. CV 8 (should be 131 for a Märklin decoder).
As I wrote, reading and writing CVs sometimes only works with Märklin decoders after driving the loco.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline amartinezv  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2019 09:49:37(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Umm, are you sure that is using DCC addresses? You can certainly do that with MM addresses on an IB, which are allowed to go beyond the old Marklin upper limit of 80.

If you are definitely using DCC addresses then it may be that the IB is using only long DCC addresses, and your other locos where you can do this are set up as long addresses, or the IB is automatically switching between short and long at some boundary (see below)

Hello Alan,
Thank you for your answer. Well maybe I was wrong, I'm sure I'm using addresses above 80 for both MM and DCC. But right now (I'd have to check with the IB and some locomotive) I'm not sure if addresses between 127 and 255 are short or long addresses, it's very possible that they are long addresses.

Quote:
Well I try the option of long addresses and it is impossible to get the error message. That is correct. Long addresses can be from 0 to 10239 as Tom (H0) noted, so if you try and set 142 as a long address it will complete without error

This was an error in my message, when I tried to write 142 as long address I always got the error message.

Today I will try again.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2019 11:21:08(UTC)
Goofy

To use higher adress with the DCC you must set CV 29 bit 5 by write 1 in value.
Go to CV 17 and 18 by write value.
To set the CV 17 and 18 the locomotive must stand on the programming track.
Be sure first that the locomotives standard adress 3 must first verified in the system on the programming track before to start change the value.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2019 11:26:06(UTC)
Goofy

If you are unsure how to set CV 17 and 18 by write numbers try here:
www.maerklin.de/de/servi...formationen/dcc-rechner/
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2019 11:47:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The IB has a feature that sets long addresses and takes care of all relevant CVs. Thank you for pointing out a more complicated way to achieve the same effect.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2019 16:15:56(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The IB has a feature that sets long addresses and takes care of all relevant CVs. Thank you for pointing out a more complicated way to achieve the same effect.

What complicated?
All decoders do have same system by set new adress.
CV 1...CV 17...CV 18 can only change the adress on the programming track.

H0
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2019 17:03:10(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

What complicated?

Did you notice that an Intellibox was used as controller? Blink

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline amartinezv  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2019 18:48:44(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Be sure first that the locomotives standard adress 3 must first verified in the system on the programming track before to start change the value.

Thank you Goofy, But my IntelliBox (controller) does those calculations automatically, and writes the corresponding CVs, until now it has done it.

best regards
Antonio Martínez
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
H0
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2019 21:25:39(UTC)
H0

What complicated?
And the IB knows that system.
With the IB I enter the address I want in the range 128 through 9999 and the IB sets CV 17, 18, and 29 as needed.
That's the simple IB way.

OMG, why should I use a calculator to determine the values of CV 17 and CV 18 when the IB can do it for me? That would be overly complicated.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline amartinezv  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2019 22:39:48(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

Hello,

Fixed !!!! BigGrin BigGrin

First, I have written 3 in CV(1)

so, using the IB long address routine, I wrote 142, I had to press the enter key 3 times, and it's ok, the locomotive has the digital address 142.

Thank you for your help, support, and quick answers.

Best regards and happy new year
Antonio Martínez
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 02 January 2019 22:58:03(UTC)
H0

so, using the IB long address routine, I wrote 142, I had to press the enter key 3 times, and it's ok, the locomotive has the digital address 142.
Yes, these are the wonderful decoders of the MSD era (pre-MSD/3 era).
When writing a new value to a CV, the IB will understand ERROR. If the value does not change, the IB understands OK.

I don't know if this is a bug of the decoder or a bug of the controller - but I guess it is a decoder problem.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage