Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LocoNewbie  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2018 15:18:06(UTC)
LocoNewbie

Denmark   
Hi there

I am a complete new beginner to Märklin and recently bought a Märklin Start Up H0 29183 construction kit for my son for Christmas - the link to it online is here:

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/29183/

After connecting everything up (a simple oval track on a flat surface), we were able to get the locomotive to move, (but very slowly, as if it doesn't have much power), but interestingly enough, it keeps grounding to a halt when it comes in the vicinity of the track pieces connected to the transformer. It seems that within about two track-piece lengths (on either side) of the starting point (the track piece connected to PSU), it won't move. However, we can definitely hear it's on, as there's a faint humming sound coming from it. When it's placed far away from the PSU, e.g. on the other side of the track, it's able to move fine.

I am completely stumped as to why the locomotive is "selective" to where it is placed on the track. We tried swapping out track pieces but this does not rectify the problem. We tried placing the loco on just the single PSU track piece (not connected to any other tracks) - this in theory should work, and we can even hear the engine humming slightly, but it just won't move. Also there are buttons on the remote to change direction, but we never got these to work. A voltmeter shows there is a 10 volt difference between centre track and outside tracks (everywhere on track).

Either something is seriously damaged, or there's something really obvious we're not seeing - and ANY help will be appreciated. Here is a link to a video showing this strange behaviour:

https://www.dropbox.com/...9elo15/IMG_1354.MOV?dl=0

Best,
Sven
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2018 15:55:56(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Can you turn the loco lights on and off?
Have you tried all four address positions of the controller?
Have you tried programming the loco address with the controller?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2018 17:28:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am not at all familiar with this set, but I did notice one thing.
The flashing light on the power feed section stopped flashing at the same time that the locomotive stopped moving, so I would assume that the problem is not with the locomotive, but with the power feed.
Is the LED on the feeder section supposed to indicate when it is receiving IR commands? My original belief was that this was the sensor that detected the signal from the remote.

Here are a few quick suggestions:

1) Take the track where the locomotive keeps stopping and reverse that section 180 degrees. Does the problem still occur? Has the location of the problem moved?

2) If the problem still occurs, take those two track sections and swap them with other ones (not adjacent). Does the problem still occur? Has the location of the problem moved?

3) Remove the track section where the problem occurs and the corresponding track on the other side of the oval. Does it still happen?

If all else fails, remove all or most of the straight sections and set up a loop with only one or two straight tracks (for the feeder section). Does the problem still exist?
Let us know the results of these tests.

Regards

Mike C
Offline LocoNewbie  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2018 18:12:03(UTC)
LocoNewbie

Denmark   
Dear Tom and Mike

Thank you both for your quick reply!

Firstly, Tom, I did some more tests. Yes, I can indeed turn the lights on and off and actually also change direction successfully (which I incorrectly stated wasn't possible in my first post) - but again, this only works from a certain distance from the PSU. When I place the locomotive within about 40 cm distance to where the PSU joins up with the tracks, then it's no longer possible to control the lights.

I also noticed that the closer the loco is to the PSU / feeder track, the dimmer the headlights are.

As far as setting the address is concerned, I assume this is correct since when I flight the switch to another channel, then the loco never responds. I tried programming however, following the instructions (pull out power, hold in direction-switch, put back power, release switch) - but to be honest, I have no idea whether this has / had any effect. The instructions given by Märklin don't really make sense to me either "Release the button as soon the light comes on. The programming procedure is displayed when the light comes on or blink" - what programming procedure? Displayed where / how? It all seems a big vague.

Mike, I tried your tests, and these are the results:

1. Location is always the same where the loco stops - makes no difference whether the track is replaced with another one or flipped 180 degrees. I would have liked to reverse the feeder track, but this is not possible.
2. Swopping tracks (non adjacent) resulted in the loco stopping at the same spot. It seems to almost be a distance thing (impedance???)
3. Yes, still occurs.

Tried just the feeder track and curved tracks - loco still stops at precisely the same spots. It also seems that the further away it gets from the PSU, the more reliably it operates (so goes from not-working -> semi-working -> fully reliable). I'm really curious as to why it would behave in this fashion.

Thanks once again for your assistance.

Cheers,
Sven

Offline LocoNewbie  
#5 Posted : 25 December 2018 18:14:02(UTC)
LocoNewbie

Denmark   
One more thing Mike,

You write "stopped flashing" - is the red light supposed to continually flash? Mine only lights up briefly when I push a button on the remote control, and is otherwise permanently off.

Cheers,
Sven
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 25 December 2018 21:57:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: LocoNewbie Go to Quoted Post
Tried just the feeder track and curved tracks - loco still stops at precisely the same spots. It also seems that the further away it gets from the PSU, the more reliably it operates (so goes from not-working -> semi-working -> fully reliable). I'm really curious as to why it would behave in this fashion.
If I remember correctly we had the same strange behaviour on the forum a few weeks ago, but I don't recall what the solution was (if any).
How close is the power supply to the feeder track? Maybe try to maximise the distance between feeder track and PSU.

Originally Posted by: LocoNewbie Go to Quoted Post
A voltmeter shows there is a 10 volt difference between centre track and outside tracks (everywhere on track).
This probably means the voltmeter is not suitable for digital track voltage. You might see about 20 V when you swap the test leads.
Good sign: there is voltage all around.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage