Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2018 09:40:36(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Hi all
Decided I may as well give myself a Christmas present
I am looking at buying my first single loco that's not part of a starter kit. I like locos with tender and have always wanted a loco with sound and smoke

This one is the cheapest I can find that fulfills the need

Märklin 36244 Steam Locomotive BR 24 dB with MFX Decoder, Smoke Set, Sound

Her's the link to ModelBahnshoppe-lippe

I ask if that is a good choice given my budget is small. Also not sure how to get a steamer smoking so some help on what to do what fluid etc I need would be great

Blessings Shannon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2018 12:27:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

The Br24 series of locos are very nice. You will be very happy with this loco. They are general workhorses of branch lines and would be used for passenger or freight traffic.

I have always regretted selling the 3003 (the earlier version of this loco) that my parents gave me many years ago. I have compensated somewhat by purchasing a number of these 3624x series, and they are all good.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2018 12:31:34(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I use Seuthe smoke for right now as I had to replace a number of smoke units on my older loks. You can use valve oil for musical instruments also, the brand I use is called "Blue Juice". Price will probably will determine what you will use as there are many products out there even will different scents. Just do not over apply the fluid the syringe that comes with the Seuthe units are great to add the oil and to remove excess oil if you over apply. Great lok by the way on my wish list - Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2018 02:27:22(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I used to have the non sound version of this engine. Very smooth and quiet running model. You do need to stay on top of keeping the side rod points lubricated as unlike earlier versions, all the drivers are not geared together, but rely on the side rods to transmit the drive from the driven axle to the others. That is the only issue I dislike that M has gotten way from, having all the drive axles geared together and the side rods just for looks. You will not be disappointed. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2018 05:02:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

I just got my Insider BR 65. My first digital loco with smoke. And of course I forgot to buy the smoke fluid while I ordered the loco.BigGrin

But I decided to buy first time the Märklin (art # 02420) fluid. Does anybody has experience with this fluid?

https://www.modellbahnsh...-gb-p-0/ein_produkt.html

I do not have many experience with any steam fluid - last time 50 years ago with my analogue BR 01. Yes, I think this Märklin fluid is quite expensive, but the recommendation from @steamnut - I am a little bit sceptical, if a valve oil for music instrumesst will be realy a good fluid for a smoking pipe?Confused Does anybody know the price of this valve oil?

@SteamNut
this Blue Juice oil you are useing in digital locos too or in analogue ones only?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline mrmarklin  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2018 06:02:08(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
I just got my Insider BR 65. My first digital loco with smoke. And of course I forgot to buy the smoke fluid while I ordered the loco.BigGrin

But I decided to buy first time the Märklin (art # 02420) fluid. Does anybody has experience with this fluid?

I do not have many experience with any steam fluid - last time 50 years ago with my analogue BR 01. Yes, I think this Märklin fluid is quite expensive, but the recommendation from @steamnut - I am a little bit sceptical, if a valve oil for music instrumesst will be realy a good fluid for a smoking pipe?Confused Does anybody know the price of this valve oil?

@SteamNut
this Blue Juice oil you are useing in digital locos too or in analogue ones only?

One can buy larger bottles of fluid from Seuthe who actually makes all the smoke fluid on the market. Buy this fluid and one cannot go wrong.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2018 17:10:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi all
I am looking at buying my first single loco that's not part of a starter kit. I like locos with tender and have always wanted a loco with sound and smoke

I ask if that is a good choice given my budget is small. Also not sure how to get a steamer smoking so some help on what to do what fluid etc I need would be great

Blessings Shannon

Hello Shannon,

are you aware, at the moment are 2 BR 24 available by Märklin? Your 36244 and 36249

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/36249

I think the major differences are the tender and the 36249 has only 2 front lights and of course is 30 € more expensive.Smile

Happy Season Greetings

TEEWOLF
Offline SteamNut  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2018 17:36:16(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   

@SteamNut

The price for me was $5.00 for 2 fluid oz. (59.16 ml) and I did use it yet as I have have plenty of other fluids. The fluid from anyone is just a light oil.

Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 23 December 2018 17:50:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

@SteamNut

One can buy larger bottles of fluid from Seuthe who actually makes all the smoke fluid on the market. Buy this fluid and one cannot go wrong.

Thanks. Do you have experience with this stuff too?

One answered it must be the clear, blank lampoil.

At Stummis

https://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=99305

one wrote, he used not lamp oil and not steam oil but aromatic oil.

He was shocked after usage, because the aromatic oil disturbed the paint of his locos, wagons and half of his layout. He wrotes the aromatic oil made tiny corrosive points at all paints at his layout. He is warning everybody to use this oil type.

Offline dominator  
#10 Posted : 23 December 2018 22:26:26(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have a digital BR65 which is similar to the BR24. It is a good smoker [ smokes far more than my old analogue BR50 ] and hence uses a lot more fluids or should I say you go through it quicker. Both locos tend to cover the top of the loco with a film of oil so I would recommend you use the genuine Seuthe fluid until you know others will be ok with the paintwork on your loco.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 24 December 2018 00:28:31(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I have a digital BR65 which is similar to the BR24. It is a good smoker [ smokes far more than my old analogue BR50 ] and hence uses a lot more fluids or should I say you go through it quicker. Both locos tend to cover the top of the loco with a film of oil so I would recommend you use the genuine Seuthe fluid until you know others will be ok with the paintwork on your loco.
Dereck

I agree with Dereck.
During my search for a Seuthe fluid for smoking (the price differences are horrendous) I found this paper from Seuthe. Only in German the description (16 pages!) of Seuthes Dampföl (officially: Dampf-Rauch-DestillatLaugh) for the EU, your information and your amusement.Laugh

http://www.produktinfo.c...STILLAT_NR_101__10ML.pdf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline DTaylor91  
#12 Posted : 24 December 2018 00:54:16(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
You can use valve oil for musical instruments also, the brand I use is called "Blue Juice". Price will probably will determine what you will use as there are many products out there even will different scents.

"Blue Juice" is really just blue lamp oil! The story goes something like this: One of the guys thought that this blue lamp oil smelled like the valve oil he was using, and tried it. Of course, it worked well, and was much cheaper than valve oil, so they came up with the idea of buying a lot of the stuff, and re-selling it in small bottles with an eyedropper for a HUGE markup.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline Melbourne marklin  
#13 Posted : 26 December 2018 14:41:16(UTC)
Melbourne marklin

Australia   
Hi all

Blessings Shannon

Got this loco on line at eBay for around $300 Aud . Extensive sound and the smoke make a great entry level steam engine. The tender gives it some size and she runs really well, the sound is great. Highly recommend. You can buy the smoke refill oil from Nathan’s trains in brissy for $18 or something. You only fill with .o2 mls so it will last a long time!
A newbie to this hobby, All Marklin HO, Swiss only, across all eras, largeish 5m x 4m layout in planning, small table top training table in operation.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Melbourne marklin