Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2018 19:36:36(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Marklin friends,

Came across this on eBay DE and had to share. You can see it's the First Version .1 because of the round screws on the linkages:

https://rover.ebay.com/r...ZcF2~g%3Ark%3A1%3Apf%3A0

I believe the first version of this loco was more of a prototype and distributed as show models to dealers and perhaps select customers. It was around the 1947 period when the 1947 catalog was also only distributed to dealers. Who knows how many 1st version CCS locos were originally created - maybe 1,000?

Paul
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline White Buffalo  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2018 02:38:02(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Nice find Paul......BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline seatrains  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2018 03:32:31(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Are there parts out there and could you restore it?
Nice stuff 😀
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2018 03:51:32(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Frames aside it looks salvageable!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2018 08:52:26(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Paul,

I cannot judge if this is really a 1947 model. In a book (I don't know which in the moment) I read that Märklin made 100 CCS in 1947 which were all delivered to F.C.WEBER in Switzerland. But the example in that auction is at least a very early one.
There is no evidence that the D47 (German Edition) catalogue was delivered to the dealers before mid-1948. Märklin planned to publish that catalogue in 1947 but a lack of paper and/or of printing-colors impeded the delivery. The English edition was first delivered even later. But that edition shows a print-code "A 09 48 st" which is more likely to be true than the "OA 12 47 st" of the German edition.

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
#6 Posted : 18 December 2018 14:42:36(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Markus,

Thanks very much for your comments. I hadn't heard the story that all of the first series CCS 800 locos were sent to a dealer in Switzerland, but that does sound possible. And that is right, I forgot that the 1947 "dealer catalog" wasn't actually released until around 1948 despite the print codes. I suppose that is why there is the black/white catalog that looks hand-made with actual photographs added in a small bound book. I forget what this catalog is referred to but I have heard that it is associated with the Swiss market too. I have only seen a few of those catalogs...

The CCS 800 certainly is salvageable. But as Markus said it doesn't bear the signs of a true first series - the first series that I have seen are more of a green/gray while this one has the color of a Version 2 or 3. But such variations are possible and certainly the round screws on the linkages do make it rare and interesting.

Crocodile frames an be purchased from RITTER and TTN. I believe the TTN frames are zinc-diecast (as the original) whereas RITTER frames are made from a different allow and in my opinion are of lesser quality.

Paul

PS. Edit: this page shows the 1947 Swiss catalog: http://www.wiswin.nl/Marklin%20die%2040er.html
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2018 16:05:04(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't be so sure!

This one probably has major zinkpest problems with the central/motor part, and I am not sure about all the wheels either.

I am currently restoring an identical one, which in comparison was in "excellent" shape to start with.

But buying two chassis and a few miscellaneous parts will run the bill over 500 euros, quickly! (Thank God for RITTER and TTN!)

Then re-assembly and adjusting the mechanism is not simple either.

I am currently rebuilding one from the same vintage, and I have the permission of the owner to document every step to the best of my capacity.

Some of the tips I use were given to me many years ago by a now long retired Märklin line assembly worker.

This way, at least there will be a "how-to" trace somewhereWink

Stay tuned

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 19 December 2018 16:19:18(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't be so sure!

This one probably has major zinkpest problems with the central/motor part, and I am not sure about all the wheels either.

I am currently restoring an identical one, which in comparison was in "excellent" shape to start with.

But buying two chassis and a few miscellaneous parts will run the bill over 500 euros, quickly! (Thank God for RITTER and TTN!)

Then re-assembly and adjusting the mechanism is not simple either.

I am currently rebuilding one from the same vintage, and I have the permission of the owner to document every step to the best of my capacity.

Some of the tips I use were given to me many years ago by a now long retired Märklin line assembly worker.

This way, at least there will be a "how-to" trace somewhereWink

Stay tuned

Cheers

Jacques

Looking forward to seeing this project!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline White Buffalo  
#9 Posted : 20 December 2018 06:02:49(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Looking forward to it as well Jacques!

Viele Grüße,

Rich
Offline karli410  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2019 21:20:14(UTC)
karli410

United Kingdom   
Hello All,

Just picked up this thread - I'm normally active on the German Forum 'Alte Modellbahnen' - sorry I didn't get here sooner! :-) . I wanted to add some additional info to your various questions/comments as I have extensive experience with these old Crocs!

So, the one in question here, is definitely from 1947 - in poor condition but not beyond salvage given some effort and investment - I have rebuilt several from similar condition... You are correct that the 'round' (aka 'Schlitzschrauben') on the linkages point towards 1947. This one is probably from mid-47, it is already in transition from version 1 to version 2. In addition to these round slotted screws, the 'true' version 1 would also have had roundhead screws ('lentil heads') to secure the chassis to the motor via the brass ring - this one already has the later ones with the slotted pin and the hex nut to secure it. The other item is the pantographs which are already version 4.1 ie the copper pickup/runner is angled rather than rounded like the earlier version 4.0 which would have been fitted to the first version. As far as the colour goes, I agree that it points towards a version 2 or even 3 as it seems more olive but this isn't always reliable. Mikado has this very same one in the online catalogue as a 'version 2' . I have the very same one but it is dark green with lots of bubbles in the paint which points towards a very early one but keep in mind that Marklin would have made the parts in batches as materials were available and things did get used as they were available hence these 'mixed' versions...

So, looking at this one, it needs all the castings replaced ie 2 chassis, the motor needs new gearbox housings and the wheels are mostly past it as well so, all in all, you would need to budget around 1000 Euros for these (and then do the work! :-) ).

On the subject of the replacement parts:

The chassis sold by Ritter are the best - they are pressure moulded in Zamak 3 (the original material) in new moulds and are of superb quality - they fit perfectly and do not need any work and can be assembled immediately. Ritter has recently reduced their pricing to EUR 190 each which is great value - they come pre-fitted with the connector for the power cable and the guide for the mushroom pick up. The gearbox housings are also available although you need to speak with Ritter as they are still working on the gears which will also be fitted when available - expect similar costs. Again I have worked with these and they are excellent - like the originals. TTN has recently also bought a batch of these parts (chassis and gearbox) from the same supplier but also still offers their own version as well - caution, their own is inferior and normally needs additional work to make things fit...

Assembly is tricky and requires time and patience (and some skill) - the key to getting the chassis connected correctly to the motor is to assemble the brass ring with the motor first (note the bearings pressed in the brass ring on 2 sides that it turns on for the left/right movement - these do not exist for the sides which will be assembled with the chassis brackets for the up/down motion) - the trick is to screw in the screw so it's pin is central in the hole now tighten until there is just a minimum of up/down play between the ring and the motor bracket - check it turns freely left/right. When ok secure the lock nut but be careful that the pin doesn't turn again). Then assemble the chassis. Once done, align the shaft with the slot on the motor side and slide in - repeat the procedure with the pins - checking for minimal play whilst maintaining free movement, then secure the lock nuts. Practice with some old parts - you will get the hang of it quite quickly. :-) Also, a tiny bit of silicone grease can be helpful here on all the moving surfaces..

Finally, on the subject of 100 1st versions - these were actually not the 1st versions but a pre-series - they were made for the dealer reps to demonstrate - they had some additional differences: they have a small snow plough at the front of the 2 pony trucks and the coupling still runs under the buffer plate - from version 1 the snow plough is deleted and the coupling now runs through a slot in the buffer plate. I have never seen one of those early '0' series demonstrators. Probably all lost/fallen victim to the 'Zinkpest'. Also, the '0' series (ie the version for the reps) were also the only ones to have a RED central bulb at either end and the sandbox design was also less pronounced than on the versions 1-3.

I hope this helps - happy to answer any questions!

Best regards from London!
Karim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by karli410
Offline MalinAC  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2019 13:13:33(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Some interesting answers here with Krochunter saying TTN chassis are better than Ritter ,but Karim going with Ritter as being better thanTTN . Wonder who is right ,not that I have a version 1 Croc needing repair. Guess it comes down to who you trust to make the best part. For myself I used Ritter for repaints and parts and always been happy with quality of their work. Eddie BigGrin
#12 Posted : 03 February 2019 15:28:27(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Thanks Karim - wonderful information and I will certainly come back to read when I restore my next CCS.

Eddie - on the topic of whose replica parts are better I can say that my opinion was not from experience. I had heard that TTN's were Zinc and Ritter was using Pewter which would have made then inferior due to quality of the metal (and softness). I think both companies use different techniques and may have switched over the years so it largely depends.

All the best,

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline karli410  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2019 20:08:36(UTC)
karli410

United Kingdom   
Paul,

You are correct - the previous version of Ritter's chassis was made of a softer material (and I think you might be right with pewter although I never saw those) - they've been discontinued for a couple of years at least. The ones that TTN makes are better in the sense that they are cast zamak but have a number of manufacturing issues, particularly sizing and tolerances which have caused problems with the gears for example. Seems that the moulds are not of good quality and they also use a simple casting process rather than pressure moulded (like the originals). I'm not skilled in this area but have had discussions with toolmakers and others who have the engineering background to be able to explain the differences. There are also threads on this in some of the European forums..

The chassis that Ritter stocks now, are a whole different story - they are actually made like the originals but from brand-new moulds which were made using laser scans of original chassis so they are perfect replicas. They are actually made in the US by an enthusiast who has invested a significant amount in these (and will not likely make it back! :-) ) The result is really very good indeed and the locos run beautifully. I have, so far, used 5 of these in the 2 versions (with large/small sandbox). TTN has obviously now also bought a batch of these as they are listed alongside their own on their website albeit at a slightly lower cost...

Best
Karim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by karli410