Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Registers.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Leitner  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2018 01:29:03(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Hello,

I purchased the new V200 released this year (37806) and I noted that, compared to the same V200 released a few years ago (39804) which I also own that this one has much less power; while the 39804 could easily push and pull a 8 cars consist the new one (37806) has quite some trouble pushing the same consist (the wheels slide). I was wondering if any of you noticed the same thing.
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2018 04:19:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
not familiar with either loco but I have a 39355 ÖBB Taurus and this is a very good performer, out pulls most of my other Märklin locos, one has to understand a 37 and 39 series have 2 different drive motors and if the weight is also a factor this would explain why your 37806 loco doesn't come up with the same performance qualities.
if the loco was bought second hand I would also check the rubber tyres.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2018 08:38:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
one has to understand a 37 and 39 series have 2 different drive motors
Nowadays one has to understand that the ref number (37xxx or 39xxx) says absolutely nothing about the motor or the gear of the loco.

The old V200 with 39xxx ref number have two powered axles.
The new V200 with 37xxx ref number have four powered axles. The old V200 with 37xxx ref number have two powered axles.
The old one is a good puller, the new one disappoints according to Leitner's experience.

In my experience many locos with four powered axles are good pullers. But the typical Märklin configuration is two powered axles with four traction tyres versus four powered axles with only two traction tyres.
Four powered axles look superior on the paper, but due to the reduction in traction tyres the locos are sometimes not as strong as expected.

I avoid models that Märklin "downgraded" from two powered axles to centrally mounter motor and four powered axles like the V 200, so I do not have own experience with the new cost-optimised designs.

@Leitner Do the locos have similar weights? Or is the new design much lighter?
Maybe the traction tyres are oily or greasy - this sometimes happens when they are not careful at the factory.
Is the pulling power the same in both directions? Sometimes it helps to reverse the loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2018 14:20:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Another factor that can affect the tractive effort of the loco is the correct pressure on the slider. I have some locos where the slider spring pushes the loco up and this makes the loco lose adhesion.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2018 15:12:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
one has to understand a 37 and 39 series have 2 different drive motors
Nowadays one has to understand that the ref number (37xxx or 39xxx) says absolutely nothing about the motor or the gear of the loco.

The old V200 with 39xxx ref number have two powered axles.
The new V200 with 37xxx ref number have four powered axles. The old V200 with 37xxx ref number have two powered axles.
The old one is a good puller, the new one disappoints according to Leitner's experience.

In my experience many locos with four powered axles are good pullers. But the typical Märklin configuration is two powered axles with four traction tyres versus four powered axles with only two traction tyres.
Four powered axles look superior on the paper, but due to the reduction in traction tyres the locos are sometimes not as strong as expected.

I avoid models that Märklin "downgraded" from two powered axles to centrally mounter motor and four powered axles like the V 200, so I do not have own experience with the new cost-optimised designs.

@Leitner Do the locos have similar weights? Or is the new design much lighter?
Maybe the traction tyres are oily or greasy - this sometimes happens when they are not careful at the factory.
Is the pulling power the same in both directions? Sometimes it helps to reverse the loco.

I have bought a few SBB Traxx locos 36xx series and the same happens with only 2 rubber tyres but I've exchanged the axles with another 2 rubber tyres but there is another problem because the rubber tyres are diagonally attached on 1 bogie you need to buy an extra 2 axles to obtain 2 rubber tyres and this at a cost of Euro 60.00 nearly as much as I've bought the loco for.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Leitner  
#6 Posted : 19 November 2018 17:15:03(UTC)
Leitner

I made test and pictures, apparently Marklin for unknown reasons decided to save money on rubber tire, this makes the loco run in a terrible way.

Here's a comparison between the Marklin 39804 and 37806...

Marklin 39804 is lighter and has FOUR rubber tyres.

IMG_20181119_164746.jpg

IMG_20181119_164843.jpg

IMG_20181119_164847.jpg

Marklin 37806 is heavier and it has only TWO rubber tyres.

IMG_20181119_164804.jpg

IMG_20181119_165043.jpg

IMG_20181119_165047.jpg

Piko 59717 I also took the occasion to test the V200 Piko and, even if it has just two tires like the 37806 Marklin, this one is much higher and works quite smoothly.

IMG_20181119_170752.jpg

IMG_20181119_170847.jpg

IMG_20181119_170838.jpg

Front:

IMG_20181119_170806.jpg

Video:

This is the first time I get disappointed by a Marklin locomotive, and I think is quite surprising the problem arise on a V200, hopefully they'll understand that saving a few cents on tyres is never a good idea...
Offline DV  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2018 07:04:52(UTC)
DV

Australia   
I received my 37806 last week and was somewhat taken a back by your experienceScared . All locos of that model that I have are fairly heavy and have great pulling power.

I have over 40 V200/BR220/BR221 (granted half are the old analogue models), but I did check my latest Märklin locos and, yes, you are correct they all have four tyres.

So with trepidation a took the new 37806 (with only two tyres) to the club to give it a run, wondering whether it would make our steepest incline at 3.5%.

I decided to give it a real test and had nine Märklin passenger coaches behind it, a mixture of the long and standard plastic coaches, some with lighting and others without (the lighting shoes on the carriages can put a strain on the pulling situation)

Here's the video of the run (I had the CS2 set at speed of '90' - what ever that meansConfused )

As you can see, it had no problems what so ever.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

So, I'm happy with my model.

Maybe yours was a 'Monday' or 'Friday' modelBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline Leitner  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2018 09:40:31(UTC)
Leitner

I have one question, did you also try to test it in the other way? Because the sliding to me happens only in one direction.
Offline mario54i  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2018 09:49:52(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
When the wheels with tyres are in the front truck ?
Offline DV  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2018 11:37:54(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post
I have one question, did you also try to test it in the other way? Because the sliding to me happens only in one direction.

I ran the loco with the shoe (slider) at the front. As a matter of fact I run all my locos with the shoe at the front. Just found since using C track that they run more smoothly, why? I have no idea, but it seems to work for me.

Next time I'm at the club, I'll run it with the shoe in the back (trailing) and take a video.

Hope this answers your question.
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2018 13:51:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Leitner Go to Quoted Post

I ran the loco with the shoe (slider) at the front. As a matter of fact I run all my locos with the shoe at the front. Just found since using C track that they run more smoothly, why? I have no idea, but it seems to work for me.

Next time I'm at the club, I'll run it with the shoe in the back (trailing) and take a video.

Hope this answers your question.

I also always run locos with the powered bogie at the back and the slider at the front. Everybody knows you get more traction with rear wheel drive than with front wheel drive! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 20 November 2018 14:34:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post
When the wheels with tyres are in the front truck ?
On the photos it looks as if each truck has one traction tyre.

If you have a preferred direction of operation, you can make sure that the axles with traction tyres are the rear axles in each truck.
Theoretically you get more tractive effort in the preferred direction, but less in the opposite direction.

Having slider and traction tyres at one truck could reduce the effectiveness of the tyres. Reducing the spring tension of the slider might improve the tractive effort.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0