Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Wal  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2018 11:55:37(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
New 2400x1000 MKVII.pdf (299kb) downloaded 55 time(s).Hello,

I'm planning a new 2440mm x 1000mm layout in Z scale. I would appreciate any feedback you have. I have kept the radius turns to 195mm or greater, inclines are 2% or less going up and a max of 2.5% going down. It is 2 mostly independent main lines, with a connecting link just to move trains from 1 line to the other. The outer line is just a simple oval and is level.. The inner line loops around and over itself.

I look forward to any comments, or suggestions.

Thanks Wal
Offline Bahner  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2018 17:02:34(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Wal Go to Quoted Post
New 2400x1000 MKVII.pdf (299kb) downloaded 55 time(s).Hello,

I'm planning a new 2440mm x 1000mm layout in Z scale. I would appreciate any feedback you have. I have kept the radius turns to 195mm or greater, inclines are 2% or less going up and a max of 2.5% going down. It is 2 mostly independent main lines, with a connecting link just to move trains from 1 line to the other. The outer line is just a simple oval and is level.. The inner line loops around and over itself.

I look forward to any comments, or suggestions.

Thanks Wal

Hi Wal,

This is also my first foray into the world of Z scale (I'm more familiar with N scale). I'm currently building something quite similar in concept to your planned layout, though not as extensive. Both my outer oval and inner branch lines are kept separate (my outer oval is a high speed 'passenger express line' and those locomotives wouldn't be expected to run on my inner local branch line). The outer oval has 195 mm radii or greater and the inner branch line has radii down to 145 mm:

Kleinhopfensee Both Track Lines Running_102018.jpg

Having read up extensively on other peoples' experience with Z scale, most recommendations mention keeping the slope angle as shallow as possible/practical while sticking to the Marklin recommendation for minimum height where the track crosses over itself. I performed some initial testing of slope angle using some spare track with my smaller branch line locos and the maximum number of cars that I plan to run attached. What I found was that 1.5 degree slope was fine with the 145 mm, but that 2 degrees was not (the tighter the radii, the more drag on the consist). You might want to consider testing what will/won't work before starting construction (if you haven't already).

With a fair amount of design work using a computer program (Anyrail), I was able to reduce my incline to 1.4 degrees and the decline to 1.9 degrees within the constraints of this particular layout design. As you can see in the video, the inner line consist has no problem with these slopes:

Kleinhopfensee Z Video (both track lines running only)

Cheers,

Ralph.

Edited by user 28 October 2018 20:27:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Wal  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2018 23:17:25(UTC)
Wal

Australia   
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the great reply. The video looks great too. I also use any rail. I have deliberately left out 145mm radii curves as I had no end of trouble with them on my previous layout. That said I was running longer passenger car consists around them (there was no incline) and they frequently derailed. I think for smaller branch line trains they would be fine, but I'm drawn to longer trains.

I'm interested in how you built the grades. I like the woodland scenics inclines, 1, 2, 3, 4 percent but they are fixed. How did you build the 1.4% and 1.9% grades and keep them smooth.

Thanks

Wal
Offline Bahner  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2018 01:22:34(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Wal Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ralph,

I'm interested in how you built the grades. I like the woodland scenics inclines, 1, 2, 3, 4 percent but they are fixed. How did you build the 1.4% and 1.9% grades and keep them smooth.

Thanks

Wal

I could have just used the 1.5 and 2 degree foam inclines from Woodland Scenics, but in this tiny scale I figured why not expend a bit of extra time and get the slope as low as possible for this layout design. This turned out to be a fair bit more labor intensive than I first thought it would be!

I created the 1.4 and 1.9 degree slopes by hand for each length of track out of the pink insulation foam. Anyrail was helpful for this since I could obtain the start height, end height and then calculate the height for the middle for each section and then use some filing techniques to get the desired slope and make it flat. I used the Woodland Scenics 'risers' for those higher elevation areas over 1" (the pink foam is a bit less less than ~1" thick).

Ralph.

Edited by user 09 November 2018 04:42:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified