Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2018 22:59:39(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
This shuttle is occurring this 3 day weekend ,running between 2 small country towns in New South Wales Aust . The Train started from Lithgow where the first view is seen of the train & travelled thru to Kandos to start doing shuttles thru to Rylstone .

Thanks to Bevan Wall for his usual high quality videography . This just a teaser to purchase his full video if you wish .

Cheers Tom in Oz who used to drive trains on this line 10 years ago .
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2018 00:50:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks for sharing the video Tom.

I remember when the 60s, 59s and 50 classes dominated the freight railway scene around Maitland and Newcastle.
And managed plenty of photos then, as my grandfather had done in the 1930/40s.

When you listen to these videos you realise that the HO scale decoders/speakers just cannot replicate the true sounds of a steam locomotive.
Just another compromise in our miniature world ....

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2018 02:15:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
At one stage I used to work around this area on the railways (1960's) with an unannounced train coming and we've managed it in time to get the trolley of the track, thanks to the explosive device (safety device) while working on the track.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Tom Jessop  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2018 08:16:04(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

John Its a lovely bit of countryside out there , virtually no farms or towns for most of the run from Wallerawang [ Wang ] to Kandos , subject to landslides , washaways & heaps of the larger type of wildlife . None of the coal mines are on line at present or the cement works at Kandos . either shut for good or on caretaker mode . Single track from Wang to Rydal & no sidings from cox's river to Bathurst. A&B still see some trains for export coal , Western Main & Wang collieries all gone also . I spent 20 yrs there as a driver at Lithgow & apart from the extremes of weather it was a good place to work .

Cheers Tom in Oz.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2018 11:14:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

John Its a lovely bit of countryside out there , virtually no farms or towns for most of the run from Wallerawang [ Wang ] to Kandos , subject to landslides , washaways & heaps of the larger type of wildlife . None of the coal mines are on line at present or the cement works at Kandos . either shut for good or on caretaker mode . Single track from Wang to Rydal & no sidings from cox's river to Bathurst. A&B still see some trains for export coal , Western Main & Wang collieries all gone also . I spent 20 yrs there as a driver at Lithgow & apart from the extremes of weather it was a good place to work .

Cheers Tom in Oz.

Tom, looks very dry for September,

Offline ShannonN  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2018 13:14:21(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
At one stage I used to work around this area on the railways (1960's) with an unannounced train coming and we've managed it in time to get the trolley of the track, thanks to the explosive device (safety device) while working on the track.

John

John, my mum sister in law had a brother working as a shunter around Lithgow in the 60s didn't see much of him myself but heard a few stories

His name was Jimmy Logue

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2018 14:01:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
yeah, nice bit of video. Plenty of rod clank when running at low speed.

Offline Tom Jessop  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2018 23:36:32(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

John , Yes extremely dry for spring , virtually no rain since last Christmas . The whole state of NSW has been declared drought effected for over 6 months with no sight of rain in the foreseeable future . It will be a interesting summer with Bushfire season already in place which usually dosen't happen until early November .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2018 09:12:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

John , Yes extremely dry for spring , virtually no rain since last Christmas . The whole state of NSW has been declared drought effected for over 6 months with no sight of rain in the foreseeable future . It will be a interesting summer with Bushfire season already in place which usually dosen't happen until early November .

Cheers Tom in Oz

Tom, we had an exceptional winter with lots of rain we haven't seen for years, the only downside with plenty of rain is the bloody weeds, they're the double size from last year.

P.S. I actually at one stage ordered a Garratt from Eureka models, paid for it but it went on and on with delays and I finally cancelled the order.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Tom Jessop  
#10 Posted : 01 October 2018 12:16:57(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

John Yes very tempted for one of Eureka's items also but the 3 rail conversion may have problems with wheel arrangement for me . Ok Electrical but the mechanical is another question . If it is possible can you direct some of that rain over this way for the farmers , there is no water anywhere , no feed for the cattle & sheep or even the water tanks for the farmers .

Tom .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 01 October 2018 14:59:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

John Yes very tempted for one of Eureka's items also but the 3 rail conversion may have problems with wheel arrangement for me . Ok Electrical but the mechanical is another question . If it is possible can you direct some of that rain over this way for the farmers , there is no water anywhere , no feed for the cattle & sheep or even the water tanks for the farmers .

Tom .

I believe there is a relief feed going on at the moment, farmers from WA trucking bales of hay over to NSW.

although its terrible to think the hardship these farmers are going through but our forefathers had the right ideas and when it comes to drinking water all we have is: desalination plants; plenty of water up North, (10 times to fill the Sydney harbour) is going out to sea., there had been plans and ideas how to bring water down from the North but no Government has yet committed any money or plan to it.

I think our industrial revolution and endeavour has gone to sleep.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109