Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TEEWolf  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2018 22:00:26(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello everybody,

for all, who have not yet seen this topic at Märklin's website:

https://www.maerklin.de/de/lp/2018/jvl/

and the hunting people Smile

http://www.lok-jaeger.de/

https://de-de.facebook.c...JaegerDerVersunkenenLok/

https://www.eisenbahn-ku...d-aus-dem-rhein-geborgen

just for information. This loco is sunken brand new during a storm into the Rhine. Now after 165 years it shall be recovered next Month, October 2018.

There Märklin is involved in the recovery of this before 165 years sunken loco, it may be possible this steamer loco may occur as a new Märklin model in the near future.

Regards

TEEWolf

P.S.: Description from the German television

https://programm.ard.de/.../?sendung=28113602712198

Railway romance extra hunter of the sunken locomotive (Part 1) - When "The Rhine" fell into the Rhine | SWR television BW

106 years ago the Titanic crashed and sank in the Atlantic Ocean. Exactly 60 years and two months earlier, on 14 February 1852, a brand-new locomotive from the Keßler engineering works in Karlsruhe fell from the ship when it was delivered and sank in the Rhine near Germersheim. To this day, no one has seen her.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

The first part of the altogether four-part "extra series" of the railway romanticism for the treasure hunt for this oldest still existing German steam locomotive tells the story of this legendary locomotive with the fateful name "The Rhine". From the construction in Karlsruhe to the loading, the transport and the accident up to the attempts to pull the 20 tons heavy locomotive out of the water again. Despite the efforts of 400 strong men and the first divers, who had to travel from England, all efforts to rescue them from the floods of the Rhine were in vain. Even today, 166 years later, the technical masterpiece from the early years of railway history lies in its cold, wet grave.

In the following three parts the long treasure hunt for the lost locomotive is described, the history of the traditional locomotive construction in the southwest is told and in the fourth part we accompany the preparations for a possible recovery of the oldest still existing German locomotive.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2018 22:08:16(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
It was the Lorelei or one of her sisters what done itBigGrin
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2018 22:13:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post

As far as I understand the articles and looking at the pictures, its name was "Der Rhein" (also: "The Rhine").
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2018 13:09:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Looks to me like a suitable candidate for the 'Surprise loco' ... BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2018 19:18:28(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

As far as I understand the articles and looking at the pictures, its name was "Der Rhein" (also: "The Rhine").

Still must be Lorelei that caused the "Rhein" accident...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2018 01:19:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

AAAAhhh sorry I did not understand @Jabez remark first. RollEyes

Haha, it was not the Blondie from the Lorely. It shall have been a storm bringing the sailing vessel down into the Rhine at Germersheim (near Speyer). Germersheim has the river kilometre 384 and the Lorely has river kilometre 554 of the Rhine. So there are about 100 miles difference between both places. Cool

But yes, I love Blondes to - but the real Blondes, not a lager beer (in German "ein Blondes") Smile. You should know, minimum we got two different Blondes in Germany.LOL
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2018 06:38:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Maybe... but she has let us slip past twice without accident !BigGrin

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2018 18:15:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Maybe... but she has let us slip past twice without accident !BigGrin

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ

Hello PJ

Lucky man - hopefully you had a good "Blondes" on board, to wash down all your concerns and an excellent view up the mountain to the mermaid.Love (she is not the flag or windsock seen in the pictureBigGrin)

On the trains (on both routes - at the left and right side of the Rhine) sometimes it is not so easy to get a good bottle of beer and the trains are pretty fast. Be on a train on the right Rhine side you cross the mountain undernaeth through a tunnel. The views by train are limited.

And in my car? I always had only water Drool - but you know: don't drink and drive. But also no view to the mermaid possible, you have to watch the traffic. Laugh

And seriously:
you are totally right, the Lorely is much more prettier than the Rhine at Germersheim. Actually the Rhine there is boaring. A plant from Daimler for trucks has been there. Nowadays it is their worldwide main logistic centre, plenty of military service is there and even a nuclear power plant is nearby. Well, I drunk my "Blondes" inside the ship at the bar.RollEyes Cool

Regrds,

TEEWolf
Offline PJMärklin  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2018 12:39:30(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello PJ Lucky man - hopefully you had a good "Blondes" on board, to wash down all your concerns and an excellent view up the mountain to the mermaid.Love (she is not the flag or windsock seen in the pictureBigGrin)

On the trains (on both routes - at the left and right side of the Rhine) sometimes it is not so easy to get a good bottle of beer and the trains are pretty fast. Be on a train on the right Rhine side you cross the mountain undernaeth through a tunnel. The views by train are limited.

And in my car? I always had only water Drool - but you know: don't drink and drive. But also no view to the mermaid possible, you have to watch the traffic. Laugh

And seriously:
you are totally right, the Lorely is much more prettier than the Rhine at Germersheim. Actually the Rhine there is boaring. A plant from Daimler for trucks has been there. Nowadays it is their worldwide main logistic centre, plenty of military service is there and even a nuclear power plant is nearby. Well, I drunk my "Blondes" inside the ship at the bar.RollEyes Cool

Regrds,

TEEWolf

Hello Wolfgang,

Yes I had a good Blonde on board, my wonderful wife !! ThumpUp :

UserPostedImage

As you say, view from train in tunnel is limited, as you can see, they cannot see us now :Wink

UserPostedImage

We have traveled by train along the Rhein a few times though and it is very picturesque, but I do find images taken through the window of a moving train quite unsatisfactory.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ BigGrin
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 02 October 2018 23:16:09(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2018 02:51:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

this must be a huge blow, what they are trying to do now is to find out what the magnetic sensory abnormality was, to start searching in that spot and being sure they've found the loco, the work they undertook has taken them 9 meters down and an area of 450m² and found nothing.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 03 October 2018 02:59:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
That is a real shame -
I was looking forward to this result so much.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.