Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline John Ferguson  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2018 23:18:45(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
I have just taken ownership of the CS3 plus and wish to get the S88 feedback working.

I do need some help please.

My feedback units are from Litffinski Datech and were working with my Viessmann DCC Commander.

For example they start with numbers 0-1 to 8 then 1-1 to 8 and so on. My feedback boards are based on 8 connections not 16.

The S88 module setting on the CS3 only starts from 1.

Also in the system settings for S88 there are timing adjustments for the S88 data bus. Do these need to be changed?

John
Offline siroljuk  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2018 08:02:47(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi John.
Please tell us more:
Are you use L88 device or are you going to connect your s88 devices to CS3'sconnector at the bottom of the device, do you use conventional flat cabel,or rj45 cable?

I think that you don't have to change parameter in CS3

Regards

Jukka
Offline twmarklinfan  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2018 08:32:03(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Hi John

I am not sure if this helps or not. I also have a CS3 and wanted to use my existing S88 (60880). After some exchanges with M about this, the upshot is they will not work with the CS3 and I need to buy the latest 60881 🤬🤬. So it maybe your units are not compatible.
Offline John Ferguson  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2018 09:57:16(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hi John.
Please tell us more:
Are you use L88 device or are you going to connect your s88 devices to CS3'sconnector at the bottom of the device, do you use conventional flat cabel,or rj45 cable?

I think that you don't have to change parameter in CS3

Regards

Jukka

Hi Julia

I am using flat S88 flat ribbon cable to connect to litffinski datech RM-GB-8 feedback modules. A total of 8 units.

To connect to the CS3 plus I am using an S88-N to S88 ribbon cable converter to connect to the underside of the CS3.

Your comments would be appreciated.

John
Offline siroljuk  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2018 11:19:11(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hi JohnBigGrin BigGrin
My name is Jukka, not Julia, but no problemBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I understand that you have not L88 device, if you have I can give you more information, but ...
without L88 you have to connect flat cable to socket under the CS3 device, you can make a cable extension with RJ45 blocks but be sure you put cable right.
If ( and when) your s88 device is proper it has 16 connects per unit.

When you add s88 contacts you can see that CS3 hadles S88 devices as modules and one module include 16 contacts.
So addresses for contacts are depending to which module you connect contact. one to sixteen per module.
Remember to connect only only one ground to the first module and configure to CS3 right number of used S88 modules to GFP-3.

Hope this will help you
Regards

Jukka

Offline John Ferguson  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2018 13:22:16(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hi JohnBigGrin BigGrin
My name is Jukka, not Julia, but no problemBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I understand that you have not L88 device, if you have I can give you more information, but ...
without L88 you have to connect flat cable to socket under the CS3 device, you can make a cable extension with RJ45 blocks but be sure you put cable right.
If ( and when) your s88 device is proper it has 16 connects per unit.

When you add s88 contacts you can see that CS3 hadles S88 devices as modules and one module include 16 contacts.
So addresses for contacts are depending to which module you connect contact. one to sixteen per module.
Remember to connect only only one ground to the first module and configure to CS3 right number of used S88 modules to GFP-3.

Hope this will help you
Regards

Jukka

Hi Jukka

Please accept my apologies for getting your name wrong. The IPad probably changed it.

I can see that with 8 S88 modules as installed each with 8 connections I will have to regard them as 4 with 16 connections.

I will amend GPF-3 to 4 as you suggest.

Thank you for your response.

Regards

John

Offline John Ferguson  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2018 17:31:41(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Hi Jukka

I have throughly tested and updated the CS3. My S88 modules are quite old as some do not have the S88-N connections but use the flat cable only.

S88 still not working

I suspect that the S88 link unit may be required to work with older S88 units. Do you have any views.?

Regards

John
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2018 23:44:45(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Have you actually configured the CS3 for (the number of) S88s
this is done under System->System(Settings)->TFP3->Settings and the configuration field is called Length S88-bus

It is not surprising that Marklin decline to support your configuration as it is butt covering for the 12v v 5 v issue.
You will have to self certify that your S88s are 12v capable.

As to the cable, I would not make assumptions , you may work out the pin requirements for a RJ45 to 6-pin from the wiring info in the 60881/60882 manual,
https://static.maerklin....4565212d3a1510755647.pdf Page 9
But again you are self certifying.
NOTE: This cable requirement (system(RJ45) to S88(6-pin)) is NOT the same as the 60884 which is 6-pin to RJ45
https://static.maerklin....3089ca98d41434542408.pdf
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2018 13:53:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi John

According to Märklin you cannot connect the S88 modules (Flat cable) with the RJ 45 outlet on the CS3 Plus. It is not only a question of cabling conversion (Märklin are not proposing one) but also a question of standard and voltage (previously 5V, now 12V). I believe you must use a Link 88 module between you CS3+ and your S88 (Ref 6088) or to connect to this CS3 plug only 60881 modules. Note that the pin layout on RJ45 by Märklin is not always the same as others.

I suggest you also check your S88 modules (that 12V from CS3+ has not caused damage to them) if you want to re-use them with a Link88.
Cheers

Jean
Offline leistef  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2018 14:03:58(UTC)
leistef

United States   
You don’t need the link88 to connect with the S88 to the CS3+. S88 DC comes with cable and connection is made underneath the CS3+.
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2018 15:07:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The point of the CS3 PLus version is avoiding a link88 and the new version S88 connects directly to the CS3Plus. Hopefully this is correct as I don't intend buying a link along with my proposed CS3 plus.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline John Ferguson  
#12 Posted : 06 September 2018 15:21:55(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Thank you everybody for your very useful comments.

I did not realise that S88 is using 12 volts. Have checked my feedback modules and they are still working.

I am consulting the manufacturer of my modules Lettfinski Datech but I expect I will need to use the link S88 product.

John
Offline leistef  
#13 Posted : 06 September 2018 15:41:48(UTC)
leistef

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
The point of the CS3 PLus version is avoiding a link88 and the new version S88 connects directly to the CS3Plus. Hopefully this is correct as I don't intend buying a link along with my proposed CS3 plus.

You are correct Dave 🚂🚂🚂
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by leistef
Offline John Ferguson  
#14 Posted : 06 September 2018 18:37:53(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Dave

I purchased the CS3 plus thinking that this avoided needing the S88 link now I see that I could have saved money by buying the CS3.

You learn by experience. I checked the S88-N output on the CS3 plus and sure enough it is 12 volts.

What is annoying is that I did a lot of research before buying and I knew that the S88 link existed. I assumed that a S88-N to S88 adapter would be a solution to get to my feedback cables.

Never assume always check in hindsight. Still if we could bottle hindsight we would all be better off.

John
Offline French_Fabrice  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2018 19:12:07(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello John,

Beware with RMGB8N !
https://www.ldt-infocent...d=en:produkte_cs3plus_mm

"The operation together with the Central Station 3 plus shall only be via the Märklin Module L88 (60883) which has been adjusted to a s88-bus voltage of 5 Volt."

Only 5V !!!

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 06 September 2018 19:50:25(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The S88N style RJ45 connector on the bottom of the CS3+ is great for those users that have S88N style S88 modules (the current Märklin S88 AC and DC modules can thus be directly plugged in without the L88 being needed). But for those using ribbon cable and different signaling standards (voltages) the L88 still provides a required interface, as I understand it.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline John Ferguson  
#17 Posted : 06 September 2018 19:57:10(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Hi Fabrice

That’s very good information as it confirms that I must use the link S88 60883.

I will go ahead and get one when I have checked that my modules are still working.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the advice on the Littfinski Datech web site.

John
Offline David Dewar  
#18 Posted : 06 September 2018 20:29:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: John Ferguson Go to Quoted Post
Dave

I purchased the CS3 plus thinking that this avoided needing the S88 link now I see that I could have saved money by buying the CS3.

You learn by experience. I checked the S88-N output on the CS3 plus and sure enough it is 12 volts.

What is annoying is that I did a lot of research before buying and I knew that the S88 link existed. I assumed that a S88-N to S88 adapter would be a solution to get to my feedback cables.

Never assume always check in hindsight. Still if we could bottle hindsight we would all be better off.

John

Hi John.

Hope I am still getting this right but providing you have the new S88 it will connect to the CS3Plus. However you had thought that the old S88 would connect but of course this does not work without the link. Does this mean that now you will buy the new S88 in order to avoid a Link.

Might have been better of Marklin had just made the CS3 Plus which has other advantages at a slightly lower price and nthus avoided in problems.

Interested to learn how you find you CS3 Plus as I will buy one around Christmas time.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline John Ferguson  
#19 Posted : 06 September 2018 23:13:14(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Dave

John

Hi John.

Hope I am still getting this right but providing you have the new S88 it will connect to the CS3Plus. However you had thought that the old S88 would connect but of course this does not work without the link. Does this mean that now you will buy the new S88 in order to avoid a Link.

Might have been better of Marklin had just made the CS3 Plus which has other advantages at a slightly lower price and nthus avoided in problems.

Interested to learn how you find you CS3 Plus as I will buy one around Christmas time.

Hi Dave

My intention is that provided my S88 modules are still working I intend to buy the 60883 link S88 unit with power supply.

I only received the CS3 plus on Monday and have just got one loco and one turnout working. What is essential is to buy the Marklin manual. 139 pages on Amazon. This is very well written.

The touch screen and graphical interface are a pleasure to use. When you connect it to the internet router it indicates that an update is available. This is easy to install. There is a help assistant but you do still find some text in German. There is a learning curve but it is not to difficult with the manual.

I bought the machine from Amazon via a dealer in Germany called Neusland. Had I bought it direct it appears that it would have been cheaper and free delivery.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by John Ferguson
Offline John Ferguson  
#20 Posted : 14 September 2018 18:22:17(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
I have now connected the Marklin link S88-N adapter to the CS3 and all my existing Littfinski Datech S88 feedback modules are working.

The addressing is now different because the existing modules are based on 8 addresses but the CS3 is based on 16.

For example an address of 7.7 would become 4.15. Also the existing modules are numbered from zero but the CS3 starts from one.

John
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 15 September 2018 03:01:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Dave

John

Hello John,

I bought a CS 3+ too after plenty of researches. The reason finally was that the price difference between a CS 3 and CS 3+ was nil after the achieved discount and the calculated devices for a S 88 connection by a CS 3 compared to a CS 3+. (By whatever reason but my dealer gave me more discount on a CS 3+ than on a CS 3)

But the CS 3+ always comes with a fully seperated galvanic isolation inside, which a CS 3 does not have. To get this for a CS 3 you again need further devices like the terminal 60145 for a CAN-Bus construction.

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/60145/

See the system plan in this article on page 6 of this PDF-file (page 25 at the Märklin magazin where this article was published first).

https://www.maerklin.de/...einsetzen-MM-2017-05.pdf

Because of the missing galvanic isolation in a CS 3, you only can use one CS 3 as a stand alone. In many cases fully adequate. If you want to expand a layout the second CS 3 must be a CS 3+. For me, buying a CS 3+, was never a mispurchase.

A comparison for the usage of a CS 3 versus a CS 3+ and against a CS 2 you find in the Märklin book art #03092

https://www.maerklinshop...it-der-central-station-3

on page 23.

Or in this Märklin PDF file

https://www.maerklin.de/...rklin_Digital_MM_1_2.pdf

at page 12 (page 31 at the Märklin Magazine 02/2016 where the article was published first.) you got this overview too.

Regards

TEEWolf

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline John Ferguson  
#22 Posted : 15 September 2018 14:43:02(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Hi TEEWolf

Thank you for the information. This helps me to understand more. In my case the CS3 was £60 pounds less expensive than the CS3 plus on Amazon.

I am pleased that you think the latter was a better buy.

It is now fully operational and I am busy entering the track diagram.

What puzzles me is we never see any advertisements for the CS3 in the UK. Also in a review of DCC systems in the USA magazine Model Railroader the CS3 is not mentioned. This is a puzzle. Mind you ESU’s ECOS or Zimo’s Z21 were not mentioned either.

John
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 15 September 2018 19:39:42(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Part of the difference in what isn't mentioned is possibly down to marketing by the manufacturers and there Marklin's change in its external marking positioning many changebthings over time. However is suspect that the prime reason for what is listed in the magazine reviews is they don't do a good survey of the options by concentrating on only the traditional tip /popular models in the respective markets. That may be due to economics dictating they need to use the limited column inches an article is given to write about what is most important to most subscribers. They are not white papers where length consists nothing but rather are printed and sold and thus there is limitations to length.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Rwill  
#24 Posted : 15 September 2018 20:40:37(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Currently every month in Continental modeller there is a full page advert for Marklin placed by importer GM. One quarter of that is currently taken up by CS3 and the wording and the markings are careful to remind us that CS3 is not simply a digital controller for 3 rail but for all current systems. But then no body in their right mind would buy their CS3 from GM as they are the highest priced and offer no technical support to customers. Yes you can buy from Amazon a little cheaper perhaps but again there is no technical support unless its a complete dud and they ask you to send it back. There is the excellent book mentioned above and published in English on using a CS3 in model railroading along of course with this forum which offers every level of support from dumb to expert on all matters and keeps us up to date as things change!
Most people buy from trusted Marklin dealers in Germany my own being MSL who offer very good price, cheap and quick well packed delivery to the UK and a degree of technical support. I suspect that CS3 will in future do increasingly better as a multi protocol controller - Why even Goofy has bought one and he has hardly moaned yet or threatened to send it back!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline John Ferguson  
#25 Posted : 16 September 2018 18:49:35(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
I purchased mine from Amazon but it came from a dealer in Germany who was helpful when the delivery was delayed.

Good to know that the CS3 is marketed in Continental modeller by GM. Why would they think it is not suitable for the normal UK magazines especially as a superb manual in English has been produced?

John