Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2018 00:47:32(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I am wrapping up a house move, and part of the process means the trains now have (comparably) endless space! This comes via a basement. However the bad news is this comes with some humidity

I'm assuming the humidity is not good for trains. Does anyone know a % threshold past which the humidity becomes a problem? And any recommendations on dehumidifiers or similar devices to get around the issue? My basement is not fully underground, and not damp either, but humidity is a concern and I'd rather be safe than sorry! Knowing many modelers have basement layouts, I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2018 00:58:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

I'm assuming the humidity is not good for trains. Does anyone know a % threshold past which the humidity becomes a problem? And any recommendations on dehumidifiers or similar devices to get around the issue? My basement is not fully underground, and not damp either, but humidity is a concern and I'd rather be safe than sorry! Knowing many modelers have basement layouts, I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!

My trains are not in a basement but they are in an area of my house which tends toward higher humidity. When they were mostly stored in containers I didn't think a lot about it, although now I think the humidity was too high for safe storage too. An optimal indoor humidity for electronics is 50-60% and anything much higher than 60% is not a good thing!

I just use a small portable dehumidifier with the major downside being that it sometimes needs emptied twice a day. It is effective though and keeps the humidity in that room at around 50%. But if I was staying in this house longer term I would want a built in unit, which can be added to a forced air HVAC system. That is something which you might want to consider for your new house.

I think a finished attic is the best place for a MRR layout but if done right a basement can be just as good. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2018 13:58:41(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi everyone Cool

In the new dwelling, the train room is in the basement. The basement is partially buried. In the train room, there is a fireplace (the wood stove has been removed). The moisture and heat came from there. We plugged it with glass wool and a cap. This year we have a very hot and humid summer in the Montreal area. I bought 2 dehumidifiers (train room and master bedroom) Both dehumidifiers are set for 45% humidity. They work tirelessly and I have to empty them every 4-5 days

I constantly check the humidity level and I also have 3 humidity meters but they are not very accurate. I'm looking for better items

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Drjoe11  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2018 19:12:05(UTC)
Drjoe11

United States   
My 12 x 6 foot layout was in my sunroom in Florida. With the humidity and heat, after 11 years all of he signals have rusted out.
I had to clean the track numerous times and all the boosters and transformers and the 6021 had to be de-humidified.

Needless to say it no longer functions. I have torn it down and will be building a new C track layout in my new inside the
home man cave.

So if you think of putting Marklin HO stuff in a damp, or hot or humid environment, DO NOT DO IT!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drjoe11
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2018 19:48:46(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all, an update based on a few offline chats:

- I've ordered an overkill (for the basement size) dehumidifier, which should keep things comfortably below 50%.

https://images-na.ssl-im...images/I/81ZVgQVnKHL.pdf

It has a drain line which I can put through the basement drain. In theory this should solve the issue of humidity level.

- In regards to heat that is not a problem. Summer has proven to be a rather pleasant 70-ish degree Fahrenheit temperature down there

- Winter temps we will soon learn about, but it is well-sealed and I suspect it won't get too cold. Worst case I can sort heating.

That solves train storage and safekeeping.

Now layouts are a problem from everyone else I've spoken with. (expansion/contraction etc..) That is chapter two, but I have plans to finish the basement formally for insulation etc before any permanant layouts happen. For now it will likely be my existing 4 x 7 foot test layout without scenery.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 04 September 2018 20:22:08(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have the same one in my basement and it keeps my humidity at 45% (900 square feet). The only problem is that it runs almost continuously and is rather loud in a quiet house.
Offline rbw993  
#7 Posted : 04 September 2018 22:00:53(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
If humidity is too low it can promote the generation of static electrical charges. Ever notice how you get zapped putting on a sweater in the winter (for those that have a significant winter). These static charges can destroy electronics, be careful when opening and servicing locos in low humidity environments.
Offline Jabez  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2018 00:26:12(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Maybe for best results the local climate parameters should be adjusted to those of GoeppingenBigGrin
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 10 September 2018 15:39:24(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
My train is in a totally-underground basement.
I use a 130 Watt compact dehumidifyer, set to 55-60% humidity.
Anything over that will cause rusting to take place at an exponential rate. (There was an article about this in an older Märklin Magazine!)
Although a lower humidity would of course be better for preventing rust, because of the exponential nature of the curve, only very little is gained going to a lower %-age. -On the other hand the build-up of static electricity (damaging to fine electronics too) -and the discomfort of staying in a too dry environment over prolonged time, makes lower humidities undesirable.
My layout has now been in the basement for the last 12 years, and no rust anywhere!

I live in northern Spain, where temperature varies a lot over the year, and we have lots of rain.
In summer I must empty the dryer every day, but during winter only once a week or less.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2018 16:38:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Train room with layout and storage are all in my attic.
Air conditionning installed 10 years ago , using reversible air-air heat pump, so temps and humidity are constant throughout the year, independant of external conditions.
Temp is set at 21 deg C and relative humidity maintained around 35 to 40 %
The wood frames haven't shrunk a mm, no cracks.
No rust either on any equipment (trains and tools) ...except when one of the condensation drains got plugged (my mistake : postponing maintenance) while I was away at the Märklin Treff in 2017, and a deluge drenched my collection of 24 cm metal coaches !!Cursing Cursing
All is well and corrected today with all coaches cleaned up!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 10 September 2018 18:28:44(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
An update: dehumidifier is installed and now has the basement trending at approximately 45% humidity. The drain line was a big help as it pulls a LOT of water from the air. So far this is all pretty good, and my stress of the trains down there has eased! Once things stabilize for a few more weeks I'll start evaluating a test layout situation for running fun until the days comes when I can "finish" and fully climate control the basement.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 11 September 2018 21:08:59(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Large fluctuations in temperature and humidity are your enemy on multiple fronts.

Ideally, of you can insulate and vapor barrier the basement walls and floors, and tie in to the house's heating/aircon/ventilation (HVAC) system to convert the basement space into a normal indoor climatized space, that will avoid a lot of problems (rust, expansion/contraction issues, mildew ).

If that's not practical, then attacking the problem piecemeal as you have is the next best thing.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline DaleSchultz  
#13 Posted : 12 September 2018 01:38:34(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
my basement is mostly below ground and there was a big humidity problem (floor and tools were wet to the touch) so we installed an AC system that is somewhat underpowered for the whole house. This was done on purpose so that the AC would run for longer than normal and thus do more dehumidification than cooling. It has worked perfectly, no moisture problems at all.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Michael4  
#14 Posted : 12 September 2018 11:50:30(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I had an M layout in a basement high in the Peak District, Derbyshire for ten years. The basement had been 'tanked' but there was little air circulation. If you don't know the area think hillside north facing stone house, cold, damp, snow etc etc. The electrical side of things survived but the roofs of tinplate carriages, and their printed sides, suffered badly. Older tinplate seemed to survive better.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline DanielBlack  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2019 09:39:49(UTC)
DanielBlack

Indonesia   
A lot of options in your case. The most obvious thing is to move everything to another place where your trains will be safe.

Another option is to buy a dehumidifier, for example, I set mine in the garage for automatic operation, because I have high humidity there, and I need to store a tree there. Try to look where I was looking for one of these options, this should solve the problem.
Offline PhredD  
#16 Posted : 16 October 2019 02:19:14(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Hi John, a little late to this thread - my layout is in a below ground unfinished basement, with M,K and C track - after 5 or 6 years of running a dehumidifier at ~60%, I've had zero problems with rust or moisture. Given the northern Virginia climate, it runs about 8 months out of the year. So, good so far, although I am on my second humidifier.
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 16 October 2019 20:36:08(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- I have experience here as well. A good dehumidifier will solve the problem, although as Phred mentions they all seem to be built cheaply and break after a year or so
SBB Era 2-5
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 16 October 2019 21:28:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi- I have experience here as well. A good dehumidifier will solve the problem, although as Phred mentions they all seem to be built cheaply and break after a year or so

Yep!
A nice and reliable AC system is all you need.
Works as a cooler dehumidifier in hot season, as a heater in the cold season.
I have use a Daikin quad port external unit with 4 internal units for the last 10 years.
No extra cost except for annual maintenance.
Best news: today's unit have a power efficiency factor of 4 or even 5! (Which means you get 5 kwh worth of cooling/heating power for only 1 Kwh of electricty consumption)
Just remember in very hot/humid season, thing about defrosting the internal units for 3 to 4 hours each week to avoid ice accumulation (and water dripping from) on the internal units cores.
And it just reduced my overall energy bill by 60% .
Can't beat it , and my trains and I are comfy year long.Cool
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Jay
Offline Michael4  
#19 Posted : 16 October 2019 23:40:09(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
My problem was solved by moving a couple of hundred miles south, back down to near sea level and above ground...easy!