Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2018 10:43:08(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hey guys,

So things were progressing well on my layout and I decided to do some further testing of the track in my BW area.
I drove my BR64 onto the turntable (for the first time) and suddenly my CS2 stop button goes red and all my trains go full throttle (including the BR64).
I flick all power off and wonder what the hell happened, after 20 seconds I realized what had gone wrong.
I still had my turntable connected to a separate PSU and hadn't wired it onto the same PSU as the CS2Cursing
I had bridged two separate power supplies with the CS2 in the middle. The CS2 had a waft of burnt componentry so something inside has definitely fried.

I plan to open it up tomorrow and see exactly what got burnt and if it can be replaced - thought it prudent to throw the question out here and ask if anyone else has done similar and been able to repair it?

Edited by user 06 September 2018 02:47:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline aos  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2018 16:54:39(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Eric,
I did the same thing last year. I was unable to do anything with it as I am not an electronics boffin. However, read through and you will see that KiwiAlan was able to repair it. He is now the proud owner of a CS2. I ended up buying a CS3+. An expensive mistake if ever I made one. Good luck. Alan

Please see the article https://www.marklin-user...-Fried-CS2-on-Boxing-Day

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by aos
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2018 21:38:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys,

So things were progressing well on my layout and I decided to do some further testing of the track in my BW area.
I drove my BR64 onto the turntable (for the first time) and suddenly my CS2 stop button goes red and all my trains go full throttle (including the BR64).
I flick all power off and wonder what the hell happened, after 20 seconds I realized what had gone wrong.
I still had my turntable connected to a separate PSU and hadn't wired it onto the same PSU as the CS2Cursing
I had bridged two separate power supplies with the CS2 in the middle. The CS2 had a waft of burnt componentry so something inside has definitely fried.

I plan to open it up tomorrow and see exactly what got burnt and if it can be replaced - thought it prudent to throw the question out here and ask if anyone else has done similar and been able to repair it?

I suggest you get in contact with Dion at toottoot in New Zealand. He will be in aposition to do the same repair that I did on the one Alan gave me, as described in the link in his post. His background is in electronics, like me.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2018 22:26:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
......and hadn't wired it onto the same PSU as the CS2Cursing

You shouldn't be using the PSU that is plugged into the CS2 for anything other than plugging into the CS2 - i.e. don't try to connect any other devices to it.

But Yes, definitely give Dion a call and see if he can fix it for you.

Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2018 23:23:14(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Thanks for the replies guys, great to hear it can be fixed.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
......and hadn't wired it onto the same PSU as the CS2Cursing

You shouldn't be using the PSU that is plugged into the CS2 for anything other than plugging into the CS2 - i.e. don't try to connect any other devices to it.

But Yes, definitely give Dion a call and see if he can fix it for you.

Sorry I meant the same feed from the CS2 track power and not direct to that PSU. I don't have anything else connected direct to that PSU.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2018 00:43:04(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I have opened up the CS2 just to confirm mine suffered the same damage and yes, it has.

I must have bridged my CS2 shorter than Alan, since the IC damage is minor in comparison and there does not appear to be any track damage:

CS2_2.JPG

I was considering the cost of just replacing the PCB since this is a 60213 and the extra power of a 60215 would be welcomed, however it's not something Marklin lists and probably won't sell me direct.

I have removed the PCB from the housing so its ready for repairs. If I had a PCB heater and IR lamp I'd do it myself but alas I do not.

I have some contacts in my company that may have the necessary equipment but failing that I will give Dion a call.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2018 14:21:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I have opened up the CS2 just to confirm mine suffered the same damage and yes, it has.

I must have bridged my CS2 shorter than Alan, since the IC damage is minor in comparison and there does not appear to be any track damage:

I was considering the cost of just replacing the PCB since this is a 60213 and the extra power of a 60215 would be welcomed, however it's not something Marklin lists and probably won't sell me direct.

I have removed the PCB from the housing so its ready for repairs. If I had a PCB heater and IR lamp I'd do it myself but alas I do not.

I have some contacts in my company that may have the necessary equipment but failing that I will give Dion a call.

Certainly worth the effort of trying, you have nothing to loose.

Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2018 02:48:37(UTC)
applor

Australia   
The IC was replaced and CS2 is working again. Total cost: $12 - for something that would otherwise be written off.

Big thanks to KiwiAlan for documenting his work in repairing Alan's (aos) with the same issue.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2018 05:39:28(UTC)
Goofy

What is an PSU?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline MaerklinLife  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2018 06:00:03(UTC)
MaerklinLife

PSU = Power Supply Unit
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2018 11:50:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The IC was replaced and CS2 is working again. Total cost: $12 - for something that would otherwise be written off.

Big thanks to KiwiAlan for documenting his work in repairing Alan's (aos) with the same issue.

Great news, good to hear it is all working again. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 06 September 2018 12:37:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
CS2_2.JPG

It's not very clear what we're looking at here! Presumably the IC that cooked is in the picture somewhere, but that isn't clear. Is it the large one in the foreground? What type of IC is it - part number?? How easy was it to replace, and are there any special precautions that need to be taken.

A bit more detail other than 'it's fixed' would be great for forum members, especially those who may come back to this thread in the future looking for information on how to repair their CS2's.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 06 September 2018 15:08:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
CS2_2.JPG

It's not very clear what we're looking at here! Presumably the IC that cooked is in the picture somewhere, but that isn't clear. Is it the large one in the foreground? What type of IC is it - part number?? How easy was it to replace, and are there any special precautions that need to be taken.

A bit more detail other than 'it's fixed' would be great for forum members, especially those who may come back to this thread in the future looking for information on how to repair their CS2's.

yes it is the big IC, if you look at the nearest legs, the fourth one up, and several beyond it, are covered in black where the 'magic smoke' has come out.

It is a less catastrophic failure than the one I repaired in the other thread referenced in about the second or third post in this thread.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 06 September 2018 20:03:07(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Looks like the 204NL in the bottom right also go blackened a bit., were there others beyond bit IC in the center getting fried?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline applor  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2018 23:03:19(UTC)
applor

Australia   

All that information was already posted in the thread linked by Alan in the first reply, including details of the damaged IC and how to replace it!
I did not feel it necessary to re-post all the same information again - or maybe you just skipped to the bottom of this thread and did not read the rest?

I will re-iterate it in this thread then. The IC is a power driver, L6206PD and readily available. Here it is at RS:
https://au.rs-online.com...otor-driver-ics/7140647/

Alans thread shows the damage much more clearly than mine as it was more severe, however I have highlighted where the damage is visible on mine:

damaged.jpg

Replacing the IC is quite difficult as you need to put a lot of heat into it to melt the solder underneath on the thermal pad.
We did not use a PCB heater like Alan, though we had a PCB oven available - we used a hot air soldering station which took 10 minutes at point blank with max temp to remove the IC!
Installing the new IC also requires a fine tip soldering iron and a steady hand for those pins. Make sure you flow solder onto the thermal pad too.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 07 September 2018 00:27:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Eric.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline cookee_nz  
#17 Posted : 07 September 2018 05:12:43(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

All that information was already posted in the thread linked by Alan in the first reply, including details of the damaged IC and how to replace it!
I did not feel it necessary to re-post all the same information again - or maybe you just skipped to the bottom of this thread and did not read the rest?

I will re-iterate it in this thread then. The IC is a power driver, L6206PD and readily available. Here it is at RS:
https://au.rs-online.com...otor-driver-ics/7140647/

Alans thread shows the damage much more clearly than mine as it was more severe, however I have highlighted where the damage is visible on mine:

Replacing the IC is quite difficult as you need to put a lot of heat into it to melt the solder underneath on the thermal pad.
We did not use a PCB heater like Alan, though we had a PCB oven available - we used a hot air soldering station which took 10 minutes at point blank with max temp to remove the IC!
Installing the new IC also requires a fine tip soldering iron and a steady hand for those pins. Make sure you flow solder onto the thermal pad too.

Are you able to post an image of the PCB after repair?

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 07 September 2018 11:28:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I see that 2.8A is the maximum current this chip can handle but they can be paralleled to gain more current. Does the 60215 have two of these chips paralleled, or is something else used. Are they also used in the 60174 / 60175 boosters?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 07 September 2018 14:29:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I see that 2.8A is the maximum current this chip can handle but they can be paralleled to gain more current. Does the 60215 have two of these chips paralleled, or is something else used. Are they also used in the 60174 / 60175 boosters?

I believe the 60215 uses a different chip, or perhaps an output stage using discrete transistors. I suspect this will also be the case in the 60214 that has the isolated output stage hardware (hardware revisions above 4).

In the 60214 one channel of this chip is used for the main output and the other for the programming track output. I suspect the same is done in the 60213.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 07 September 2018 17:44:29(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I believe the 60215 uses a different chip, or perhaps an output stage using discrete transistors. I suspect this will also be the case in the 60214 that has the isolated output stage hardware (hardware revisions above 4).

In the 60214 one channel of this chip is used for the main output and the other for the programming track output. I suspect the same is done in the 60213.

Hello Alan,

hopefully you are not angry about me, telling you that I prefer fish & chips? Love LOL

Have a nice weekend

Wolfgang