Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2018 11:18:07(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I own three Marklin Mobile station 2 control units. One works perfectly, one has a fault with the speed control and will cost me to repair. The other, a new black one from a start set this year. It now keeps going to stop mode. It is full of locos and I wonder if it can’t cope with all the info?
My main question though! Can I buy a Bachmann dcc control system or similar and run my Marklin locos from that. I know the older locos have the old Marklin decoders such as delta ect and they would need to be changed. But the newer locos with MFX and MFX+ will they run on straight dcc, obviously without cab sim?
Thanks Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2018 12:19:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Dan,

You can use all your newer locos with other DCC controllers, but don't forget you'll lose the mfx self registration function which is so handy, and you will also not have the benefit of the inbuilt database to "pick" locos from. Also your older digital and delta locos will not work at all with DCC and will need new decoders and possibly motor parts as well. If you have a significant number of locos to convert the cost can soon add up and it may be worth your while to consider a CS2 or CS3 instead.

Your black MS2 looks like it's going into overload protection. How many locos are you running on the layout at any one time? It shouldn't matter how many are registered on the MS2 as long as the power demand from the total load on the layout is within the limit of the MS2. Try doing a reset to factory default to see if your fault clears.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline danmarklinman  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2018 12:51:18(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi Ray. Yes the black ms2 went to red when just one loco was running? I will have to check all my locos to see which have dc motors or not. My problem is my reluctance to pay so much for a cs3 when it to could go wrong and it would be expensive to post and a ball ache to repair. So buying a dcc unit might just be easier in the long term. Even if I have to replace the odd decoder as I have no sound decoders which aren’t MFX
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Online H0  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2018 12:52:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Remember that most (but not all) locos announced 2017 or later support DCC. There are only very few Märklin H0 locos from 2016 or earlier with support for DCC.
So when switching to a DCC controller without support for MM or mfx, you may find that almost all your locomotives will need new decoders.
mfx is not NMRA DCC and many mfx locos will not work with NMRA DCC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2018 21:52:49(UTC)
Minok

United States   
As H0 mentioned, the newer locos from Märklin are now supporting DCC as one one of the protocols out of the box. But for all of the stuff more than year old its not often the case that DCC was available on them, so you could be looking at a lot of money to put DCC capable decoders in them all.

The other option is get a controller that can do MM and/or MFX. For that there are not just the Märklin CS models (the CS2 if you can find a later model used can be a good choice ), but also the ESU Ecos supports mfx (called M4 there, licensing and copyright reasons ).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134