Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline French_Fabrice  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2018 18:31:29(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi all,

I'm investigating if it is possible to mix Peco tracks Code 100 (Streamline or Setrack) with Marklin K tracks.
The main reason is because the Peco switches are much more elegant, and provide larger radius.

However, I think the main difficulty is to set up the third wire (B signal) as a third rail.
I've seen some stud contact strips (Ref SL-17 for plain track and SL-18 for turnouts and crossings) which could do the job, but what about installing such studs in a turnout Crying ?

Has anybody got some experience with such unusual configuration ?

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2018 21:39:38(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Be advised that the main reason for Märklin not to do any ultra slim switches, is because the pickup shoe cannot travel over the pointwork without shorting the track. This problem can be a pain to work around. One way is to install a reverse loop module (like the Trix 66846) to handle the problem. One module per point is going to be an expensive adventure.

I am not saying that it cannot be done, I am just saying it is not going to be a walk in the park. If that was the case, Märklin would have created that kind of track years ago.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline mjrallare  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2018 21:41:38(UTC)
mjrallare

Hi,

I don't have any practical experience to share, but I have looked at alternatives to c- and k-track in my station area. Regarding Peco here's two examples:

http://wolkingen.de/peco-weichenumbau/
https://www.stummiforum.de/viewt...en-auf-mittelleiter.html

Here's another link to Stummis were a guy is using Tillig Elite track (c83):

https://stummiforum.de/v...pic.php?f=64&t=80656

Weichen-Walter (and probably other firms) custom builds turnouts, if you don't mind the cost. Personally I've looked at Weichen-Walters combination of Tillig Elite c83 and Weinerts "Mein gleis":

https://www.weichen-walter.de/ww...ex.php?cPath=29_72_48_37

This winter I'm going to buy two turnouts and some flex-track to see how it works.

Mvh
Torbjörn
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mjrallare
Offline GLI  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2018 08:59:12(UTC)
GLI

Hi Fabrice
I have been investigating the use of Peco Code 100 track with Marklin for some time for two reasons:
1. Like you have suggested. for the improved appearance, and
2. For the reduced expense compared to buying K track.
Of course, it is quite a lot of work to convert it for 3 rail, but in my opinion, it will be well worth the effort. I have 25 to 30 lengths of flexible track ready for use, including a couple of lengths with concrete sleepers. I used 1mm brass escutcheon pins for the studs, fitted to every second sleeper. Each pin has to be cut to length using a simple jig before fitting to a hole drilled in every second sleeper, The pins are linked electrically by soldering each one to copper tape obtained from stained glass supply shops. This is not for the faint hearted as there is the danger of melting the plasted sleeper, but I had no problems

Unfortunately, the project came to a halt for many reasons, but I do plan on restarting it as soon as I am able.

With regard to points/switches, I only got as far as building jigs to drill holes in the sleepers for the studs. I will be using Peco Electro frog points rather than the Insulfrog version as I had problems many years ago when the plastic frogs were crushed by the weight of Marklin and Hag locos.

To prevent short circuits between the current pick shoe and the rail, I was going to cut each closure rail on the point in two places and seal the gaps with plasticard, Each of these sections of rail would then be wired to the third rail power supply through a Peco PL13 switeh which is attached to the standard Peco point motor. The third rail power would then be fed to these sections of rail depending on the direction of the point and provide power to the current pick up shoe as the loco traverses the point.

The advantage of this system is that the studs do not have to be higher than the track which can cause problems with smaller locos, the closure rail does not have to be insulated in any way, and all locos will receive continuous power as they traverse the point improving running, espccially at slow speed. Apart from having to cut the closure rails and insulate with plasti card, the amount of work that needs to be done is the same as wiring a 2 rail live frog point through a Peco PL13 to change the polarity of the frog.

If you are planning to just use Peco points with K track, then I believe there will be a problem, as Peco Code100 track is from memory slightly smaller than K track, but you will need to confirm this,

Geoff
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by GLI
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2018 14:32:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
If you are going to use the Peco track then I suggest you get Weichen Walter stud contacts. They are much nicer than the Peco pukos, although those in the photos on Torbjörns page do seem to be nicer than ones I have seen in the past.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline French_Fabrice  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2018 14:11:47(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

Thank you to all who have provided me some suggestions and links.
The result is : OK, let's think and wait a bit...Huh

What I wasn't aware is "it is strongly advised to put the opposite rail to B potential when crossing the turnout" in order to provide smooth operation at low speed, especially for short locos. As a result, this needs a careful work, a bit of electronics and many tests. That's why I'm going to delay my tests, and discuss with my dealer when he's back from holidays.

I've also found a link on a French forum http://www.3rails.fr/for...amp;t=3305&start=110 of a guy having used a bakelite electronic plate to solder pukos done with brass. The result is astounding, but it requires high-precision work.

I'll keep you informed if I decide to go on.

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2018 17:53:49(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
I did some Peco tracks on a club layout. And it’s doable, time consuming, and reacquire patience and accuracy. On turnouts the peco third rail is often not good enough alone. My personal exerience is that I would never do that on my own layout.

Best of luck.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline sorensen_dk  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2018 20:24:51(UTC)
sorensen_dk

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I did some Peco tracks on a club layout. And it’s doable, time consuming, and reacquire patience and accuracy. On turnouts the peco third rail is often not good enough alone. My personal exerience is that I would never do that on my own layout.

Best of luck.

I recently did a few experiments myself and concluded it's simply a waste of both time and money. The Peco puko-strips span two sleepers which result in excessive slider noise. This could be circumvented by pairing up two strips but made it even more difficult to keep track and strips lined up to have the studs run straight along the track center. As the French guy shows, some sort of template is needed to have the studs lined up and I couldn't see any feasible way of doing this on any sizeable layout.

There might be exceptions where it could make sense, like the Peco DKW (and SKW):

If you're trapped in the 3-rail camp, stick to what the C/K-track programs offer and modify your track plan accordingly!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sorensen_dk
Offline RDRBerry  
#9 Posted : 15 September 2018 23:20:31(UTC)
RDRBerry

On the issue of Peco.
The track can be sued really easily , I find the flexiblity is good but care is needed with the contact strip.
I tried the Peco points , I gave up as I cant quite get the switcing of the current on and off for the rails near the switch blades.
So to Erbert.
Very clever. The main track pukos clip on to the track avoiding all the hassle of the Peco strip, yes a bit noisy .
The points use Pukos that rise and fall for the points but they take some sorting and in the end I'm looking to re build to remove the sweeping curved points that look good as I just cant get several locos to smoothly glide over .
But most do and it looks good...

IMG_209942.jpg
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RDRBerry