Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aclassifier  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2018 09:55:12(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Or do I have to have one loco card per loco?

Or is there another way to backup a Mobile Station? (I don't have a Central Station)
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2018 09:58:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!

It could store four locos or more, but the way the MS2 works it can only store a single loco.

There are cheaper alternatives to Märklin 60135 on the market.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline aclassifier  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2018 10:05:20(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

It could store four locos or more, but the way the MS2 works it can only store a single loco.

There are cheaper alternatives to Märklin 60135 on the market.

I know about the cheaper cards, saw the in another thread. But I was unsure about the MM2 SW. Thanks!

But the general backup question probably is answered with a no?
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2018 10:18:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: aclassifier Go to Quoted Post
But the general backup question probably is answered with a no?
I'm not aware of any option to make a complete backup. But maybe others have a solution.

Using "loco cards" with a higher capacity could be an option - if Märklin implemented that in the MS2 firmware.
Making a backup on a CS2 or CS3 or on a USB device using a CS2/3 as connector would also be technically possible, but is not yet supported by Märklin AFAIK.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2018 11:29:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have a fair number of loco cards which I use for all my locos that are neither mfx nor digital from factory. You don't need backups for mfx locos as they just register themselves whenever you want to use it if it's not currently in one of the 40 slots. Factory fitted digital locos will be in the MS2 database and they can always be retrieved from there so you also don't need a loco card.

At the moment my loco cards back-up all my non-Marklin locos and all my analogue locos converted to digital.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline aclassifier  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2018 15:27:53(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
..You don't need backups for mfx locos as they just register themselves whenever you want to use it if it's not currently in one of the 40 slots. Factory fitted digital locos will be in the MS2 database and they can always be retrieved from there so you also don't need a loco card.

My MM2 came up with a blank display the other day and on next power up it had forgotten all locos. And the loco list was empty. I have a side track with a switch where they can be alone while MM2 finds them.

I know that the MM2 "Find" is enough, and they would all (so far) be found and given address 33 for some reason. So I need to edit the addresses. Plus, the default name I change so that guests would know. Setting the name is a chore!

However, even if the loco list was empty, for the newer locos the MM2 actually had the name and address!?

I do assume that having a backup on a loco card would store both the address and other parameters, including the name?

I have done this two-three times now, as the MM2 does this on me, like once a year. And loco cards would be so nice in that situation!(?)
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2018 21:39:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
..You don't need backups for mfx locos as they just register themselves whenever you want to use it if it's not currently in one of the 40 slots. Factory fitted digital locos will be in the MS2 database and they can always be retrieved from there so you also don't need a loco card.

My MM2 came up with a blank display the other day and on next power up it had forgotten all locos. And the loco list was empty. I have a side track with a switch where they can be alone while MM2 finds them.

I know that the MM2 "Find" is enough, and they would all (so far) be found and given address 33 for some reason. So I need to edit the addresses. Plus, the default name I change so that guests would know. Setting the name is a chore!

However, even if the loco list was empty, for the newer locos the MM2 actually had the name and address!?

I do assume that having a backup on a loco card would store both the address and other parameters, including the name?

I have done this two-three times now, as the MM2 does this on me, like once a year. And loco cards would be so nice in that situation!(?)

I'm not very sure what you mean by all this.

I assume that by MM2 you mean the MS2 (Mobile Station 2). If your locos are mfx you don't need to use the "Find" function. They should register by themselves. If they are not mfx but are Digital from factory then they will be in the database (not the loco list) just choose "New Loco from database" and enter it by its catalogue number. The MS2 will come up with the correct address, function icons, name, and loco picture.

I only ever use the "find" menu option when I don't know the address of a loco which I have never used before and it has been changed from the default address.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline aclassifier  
#8 Posted : 12 August 2018 20:13:09(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   

I'm not very sure what you mean by all this.

I assume that by MM2 you mean the MS2 (Mobile Station 2). If your locos are mfx you don't need to use the "Find" function. They should register by themselves. If they are not mfx but are Digital from factory then they will be in the database (not the loco list) just choose "New Loco from database" and enter it by its catalogue number. The MS2 will come up with the correct address, function icons, name, and loco picture.

I only ever use the "find" menu option when I don't know the address of a loco which I have never used before and it has been changed from the default address.

I am not that sure myself...

Yes MM2 is Mobile Station 2 (with rev. 2.5). I haven't come across that the newest registered themselves, but "Find" did do the trick and all I needed to change was the name (I dont' use the default name - but changing it is s a chore) and address (I have some Roco locos). I have also entered the catalogue number like you said, I that's what I did when they were new and I followed the recipe in the manuals.

I don't know why "Find" gave me address 33 on al the locos, when they were found after each other, alone on a side track. So I needed to change the addresses (mostly to default addresses, I think). I have a list for all this that I use.

To sum up, when the MM2 goes blank I guess using a card for each would be simpler for me, provided I have other names and addresses.