Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martigny  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2018 14:25:31(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
I've bought my new CS3 unit in Germany last week. (Living in London is not the most convenient location for a Märklin user, the nearest shop is in Calais on the other side of the Chanel). I had been using a CS2 in the last 7 years until recently, when it stopped working. I took it to Germany and the Märklin shop couldn't fix it, so decided to buy a CS3.
I'm having difficulties wit operating it, in spite of the online English manual or tutorial videos. And unfortunately don't have the luxury to drop by the nearest shop....

I have 3 locomotives, one Roco diesel and two Märklin, all of the are digital. For about half a day I just couldn't register any of the locos. Then suddenly the Roco diesel got registered somehow and I can use it now. Still nothing with the two Märklin locos. When I click on the "Read" icon, it shows "Reading started" but at the end I get the message: "Reading the address has failed". I can't get further than this. I have no clue what's happening. Could suddenly be the Märklin locos faulty? They were working perfectly with the old CS2 unit.

Could anyone help me with this issue?

Marklin.jpg
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2018 19:56:32(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Is the loco on the programming track when you click read? If not, put there and try again.

Also, make sure your CS3 is updated to the latest version.
Offline Martigny  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2018 19:59:42(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the reply, yes, on the programming track, and it is brand new, bought it on Saturday from the Märklin dealership in Hamburg, so I assume it must be up to date.

Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2018 20:22:01(UTC)
Minok

United States   
my first instinct is verify the wiring and that brown and red are on the correct connection from track to CS3.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Martigny  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2018 20:25:27(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the reply, the wires are correctly connected. The most disturbing part is that one loco could have been programmed, while the other two not. It is highly frustrating. I haven't had any problems with CS2 for many years and can't operate this supposedly state of the art CS3.
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2018 20:58:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Martigny Go to Quoted Post
I've bought my new CS3 unit in Germany last week. (Living in London is not the most convenient location for a Märklin user, the nearest shop is in Calais on the other side of the Chanel). I had been using a CS2 in the last 7 years until recently, when it stopped working. I took it to Germany and the Märklin shop couldn't fix it, so decided to buy a CS3.
I'm having difficulties wit operating it, in spite of the online English manual or tutorial videos. And unfortunately don't have the luxury to drop by the nearest shop....

I have 3 locomotives, one Roco diesel and two Märklin, all of the are digital. For about half a day I just couldn't register any of the locos. Then suddenly the Roco diesel got registered somehow and I can use it now. Still nothing with the two Märklin locos. When I click on the "Read" icon, it shows "Reading started" but at the end I get the message: "Reading the address has failed". I can't get further than this. I have no clue what's happening. Could suddenly be the Märklin locos faulty? They were working perfectly with the old CS2 unit.

Could anyone help me with this issue?

Marklin.jpg

I never used a CS 2. I cannot tell you anything about a CS 2. Myself I got a CS 3+. To learn the usage of a CS 3 is like to learn a new software of an operating system on a computer. But a CS 3 for me is rather different to a CS 2 and I was quite happy that I only have to learn using a CS 3 without knowing anything about a CS 2.

Which locos by which decoders inside do you get? Only mfx locos are registering automatically. All others have to be registered by yourself manually first. Did you download the manual for a CS 3 from Mäerklin's website? There it is detailed described which type of registration are available and how to register locos. All Mäerklin controllers have a standard sequence reading their formats: mfx - MM - DCC. If you only use DCC than it is recommended to switch off mfx, MM and MM2. Then delete all your locos from the controller before you register them again.

There you got one loco running, your CS 3 cannot have any failure. Logically it must be something with the registration process.

Offline Torrid  
#7 Posted : 07 August 2018 21:02:57(UTC)
Torrid

South Africa   
Hi,

Are the Marklin locos MFX or FX?
Offline Martigny  
#8 Posted : 07 August 2018 21:57:01(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Thank you for your time to write all these details. I'm quite sure I don't do something right with the registration. The steam loco is a digital 18473. I assume it should be mfx and register automatically. Or am I wrong? The electric loco is E40 072, it must be mfx too. What setting could be wrong when I try to register?

Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 07 August 2018 23:03:27(UTC)
H0

The electric loco is E40 072, it must be mfx too.
The two locos match the 29855 starter set - which came with two MM locos. Did anybody convert them to mfx?
Otherwise try the MM protocol aka fx. Factory addresses are 18 and 40, respectively. Check the settings of the DIP switches on the decoders if these addresses to not work.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 07 August 2018 23:17:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thank you for your time to write all these details. I'm quite sure I don't do something right with the registration. The steam loco is a digital 18473. I assume it should be mfx and register automatically. Or am I wrong? The electric loco is E40 072, it must be mfx too. What setting could be wrong when I try to register?

Thank you Tom. He is writing in this community by the avatar name H0. He answered this question in another community.BigGrin

http://forum.miniatur-wu...73-mit-sound-t16712.html

You got the starter set Märklin art #29855 from the year 2001 to 2004. This set includes a S 3/6 with the number 18473 and an E 40 with the number 072. They do not have a mfx decoder, They got a fx decoder. The locos do not have their own art number. They are only listed under their starter set number 29855.

See here

https://www.pierregillar...lin/mrm/startersets.html (scroll down to thhe applicable starter set)

https://lokmuseum.de/sho...20&SID=jixtsypqgahqf

Originally it came with a delta controler and both locos have a fx (also often named as MM2) decoder on board. This you see in Märklins database here

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/29855/

At this website you also find the manual for this starter set.

This locos you should easily register in your CS 3, but you have to do it manually choosing the locos out of the CS 3 database.

https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

This is a PDF file in 6 languages for the CS 3. From page 11 onwards you find the manually registration of a loco at the CS 3. There you have only fx and/or DCC (Rocco loco?) you may switch off the mfx format at your CS 3. Even Märklin recommends to switch of these track formats which are not used with a CS 3.

Also for information of a CS 3 I always recommend to buy this Märklin book

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/03082/

It is also as art #03092 in English available.

It has an own chapter explaining to people who are switching from a CS 2 to a CS 3. Also about decoders, programming a CS 3 and of course how to register all different types of decoders for the multiprotocoll controller CS 3. And much more. The book has 201 pages.

You can buy this book easily by an internet Märklin dealer, like here:

http://joes-modellbahnla...15f08b03b/Products/03092

regards

TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2018 01:17:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks for the reply, yes, on the programming track, and it is brand new, bought it on Saturday from the Märklin dealership in Hamburg, so I assume it must be up to date.

You really can't assume that any new computer is up to date on its software out of the box. I would try a software update and then try registering your locos again, one at a time on the programming track.

Since these appear to be MM format decoders you will have to register them manually and probably not from the database, but that is doable. Not having a dedicated items number most likely means that they can't be registered via a database entry. Did you register them on your CS2? If so, the same process should basically work on your CS3.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 08 August 2018 04:51:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I guess as the CS 2 is dead it is a nonstarter but is t there a way to transfer ones loco data from a CS2 to the CS3?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 08 August 2018 06:31:51(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Your locos seem to be from starter set 29855. As Tom writes: Unless tempered with, these are MM locos.

Judging from your screenshot you are using the DCC protocol to access the locos. This is wrong and will never work. Your locos are MM.

Try this:
1. Create a loco using the MM protocol (check the protocol when you create your loco)
2. Put the loco on the programming track.
3. Hit the read button.

This should work if the locos are MM.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Martigny  
#14 Posted : 08 August 2018 14:01:29(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Thank you for the detailed suggestions. I still have to learn a lot here. I got that the two locos are not mfx but fx, I wasn't aware of that. Indeed, they are coming from the 29855 starter set that I got in 2002. Now changed the DCC protocol to MM but it still failed to red the loco. Obviously I still don't set something right, but can't figure out what. This is how my set up looks like now:
M2.jpg
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 08 August 2018 14:33:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Now changed the DCC protocol to MM but it still failed to read the loco.

The mfx protocol stores the loco data onboard the decoder but MM does not, so it is not possible to read the data from the loco. You need to supply that data yourself during the registration process. This is exactly why mfx was created in the first place in order to avoid this hassle. There are detailed instructions on how this can be done in the CS3 manuals and there are lots of people here who can provide guidance too.

To answer Minok's question, if you had saved the loco data from when they were registered with your CS2 you could indeed transfer that to the CS3. The track diagram protocol is substantially different between the two systems and it can't be transferred but the loco data definitely can be transferred.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 08 August 2018 14:46:56(UTC)
H0

Now changed the DCC protocol to MM but it still failed to red the loco.
The CS3 can try to read the address from the loco (and nothing else). If you know the address (18 is the default) then just enter it into the address field.

A better approach could be adding the loco from the database (if the CS3 has this feature) by just selecting the ref. number 29855. The CS3 will then use the default address and will have a loco name and appropriate symbols for the available functions. Address can still be changed if the loco no longer has the default address, but you do not have the hassle of setting symbols for the functions.

Indeed, they are coming from the 29855 starter set that I got in 2002.
It would have been useful to write the ref. number in the first post. Would have saved us and you quite some time and maybe several roundtrips on the forum.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 08 August 2018 15:36:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The CS3 can try to read the address from the loco (and nothing else). If you know the address (18 is the default) then just enter it into the address field.

A better approach could be adding the loco from the database (if the CS3 has this feature) by just selecting the ref. number 29855. The CS3 will then use the default address and will have a loco name and appropriate symbols for the available functions. Address can still be changed if the loco no longer has the default address, but you do not have the hassle of setting symbols for the functions.

Yes Tom, the CS3 can read the address, which I forgot to mention. Do you think that it will be able to add a single loco from the database though, since that starter set includes two locos? That is definitely easier than manually mapping the functions and it is a big help if it is possible.

BTW Tom, I have not seen a lot of posts by you lately and I for one miss your sage advice. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline Martigny  
#18 Posted : 08 August 2018 15:58:18(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Yes, when I entered the 29855 starter set, only the steam loco came up, not the electric. I'm still having problems with the manual entry, don't quite get the screen for it that's in the manual...

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Yes Tom, the CS3 can read the address, which I forgot to mention. Do you think that it will be able to add a single loco from the database though, since that starter set includes two locos? That is definitely easier than manually mapping the functions and it is a big help if it is possible.

BTW Tom, I have not seen a lot of posts by you lately and I for one miss your sage advice. Cool

Offline Martigny  
#19 Posted : 08 August 2018 17:37:34(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Thanks to the collective help, finally I've managed to enter the steam loco (default 18). The electric loco is still a mystery.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 08 August 2018 18:03:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Yes, when I entered the 29855 starter set, only the steam loco came up, not the electric. I'm still having problems with the manual entry, don't quite get the screen for it that's in the manual...

Does the electric loco not come up as 29855b ?

Offline Martigny  
#21 Posted : 08 August 2018 18:16:48(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   

This is where it gets interesting! I was expecting under 29885b the electric loco would come up. But an interesting combination instead, a steam loco picture with the name E 40....IMG_20180808_170825.jpg

Offline TEEWolf  
#22 Posted : 08 August 2018 22:18:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

This is where it gets interesting! I was expecting under 29885b the electric loco would come up. But an interesting combination instead, a steam loco picture with the name E 40....IMG_20180808_170825.jpg

Hello Martigny,

Märklin offers explaining videos also for a CS 3, but mainly in German.

https://www.maerklin.de/...erung/central-station-3/

https://www.youtube.com/...UC_ulAkE0RxHUEhpvWf49pRQ

and even here aas to register a mfx or a MM loco at a CS 3

Nevertheless AJCKIDS.com offers a lot of explaing videos too - in English!BigGrin

https://www.youtube.com/...ch_query=ajckids+marklin

Various parts I found for you. Here are the links

part 2 video

shall explain adding new locos to a CS 3

Have a nice time registering your locos while you see videos bbeside. Cool BigGrin

regards

TEEWolf

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 08 August 2018 23:27:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

My experience with the pictures (especially when it comes to the icons) is that the accuracy of what is pictured seems to be totally random, so I would say that is the correct selection. You then need to change the icon according to the instructions for doing this.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Martigny  
#24 Posted : 09 August 2018 13:13:30(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   

My experience with the pictures (especially when it comes to the icons) is that the accuracy of what is pictured seems to be totally random, so I would say that is the correct selection. You then need to change the icon according to the instructions for doing this.

Unfortunately, in this case it wasn't the correct selection...Mad

Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 09 August 2018 16:09:18(UTC)
TEEWolf

Are your locos now registered and running? The pictures always changable and not the most important fact at the rgistration process.
Offline Martigny  
#26 Posted : 09 August 2018 16:13:53(UTC)
Martigny

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Are your locos now registered and running? The pictures always changable and not the most important fact at the rgistration process.

Yes, it took me three days, but now the locos are up and running!Love

Thank you everybody for the help!!!!