Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ricwolt  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2018 12:50:52(UTC)
Ricwolt

Netherlands   
Hi all
I am fairly new to digital control and need some advice please.
I operate Digital 6021+F80 and two 6040 keyboards to control my k83 decoders for the turnouts
I happen to have several 7236/7139/7240/ 7241/7242 signals-all still unused
Some of these I want to use as signals for my turnouts. They may not be entirely prototypical but I want to use them so i can see from a distance which way the turnout is pointing with first thinking about the turnout number and button position on my 6040 keyboard.
The question I have
Can I connect the wiring of the signals to the wiring of the turnout at the same decoder so that with one button it will change the signal and turnout position
Hope someone can help with this as electronics is not my strong point.
kind regards
Richard
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2018 16:31:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't see why not. Just connect the corresponding signals to the same outputs of your k83 decoders.

I have analogue control of my turnouts, but I employ the same system you suggest with signals connected in parallel to the turnouts.

For example:

At a turnout selecting whether the train continues on the main line or takes a branch (or parallel station track) I have an "Entry signal" which shows either green, yellow or red. The signal is connected so that when the main line is selected on the turnout the green signal is displayed, and when the branch is selected the yellow is displayed.

At a turnout feeding out onto a main line from a goods yard, station platforms or a branch line, a "exit signal" is placed before the main line. When the turnout is set against leaving the branch the signal will show red, but when the turnout is set so that there is access to the main line the signal will show yellow.

Many combinations are possible and I still have a few signals to install on my layout.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Ricwolt  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2018 06:30:15(UTC)
Ricwolt

Netherlands   
Thank you. I just wanted to be sure as I did not want to risk blowing anything in the process

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ricwolt