Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhschulz2000  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2018 21:56:36(UTC)
rhschulz2000

United States   
Can anyone provide instructions on how to wire the above switch. I can get the illuminated lantern to work, but not the points. I am using a 280 transformer. Thanks, Bob.
Bob Schulz
rhschulz2000@gmail.com
720-530-2924
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2018 22:42:13(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Bob,

The switch has four wires. Two - near the lantern- for the light and two for switching. One of the switching wires should be connected to ground, a short 20V-pulse on the other wire should activate the magnet and switch the turnout. A 280 transformer usually only delivers 16V, but that should work, too. But please read the advices regarding the dangers of 280 transformers here in this forum. We don't like to loose members.

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus
Offline kweekalot  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2018 22:59:46(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
See also this scheme ....

UserPostedImage

Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2018 23:10:07(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi kweekalot,

Sorry, but that scheme is not correct for the pre-war switches. Märklin had three systems of switching magnet devices for the 00/H0-gauge: The pre-wars system with two wires (pulse-switching), the post - war -system (from 1949) with one wire (also pulse-switching) and the system which was used from 1953 (scheme above) . Only the last system gives the possibility to switch a device to a defined position (curved - straight -- red - green). Earlier devices only switch every time to the other position.

Regards

Markus
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2018 23:40:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
My concern here would be the transformer which I understand is no longer safe to use. I would advise a new transformer before doing anything else.
Just my opinion.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline rhschulz2000  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2018 00:37:44(UTC)
rhschulz2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bob,

The switch has four wires. Two - near the lantern- for the light and two for switching. One of the switching wires should be connected to ground, a short 20V-pulse on the other wire should activate the magnet and switch the turnout. A 280 transformer usually only delivers 16V, but that should work, too. But please read the advices regarding the dangers of 280 transformers here in this forum. We don't like to loose members.

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus

Markus: Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Through the forum I now understand the danger of the 280 transformer, but am only plugging it in from moment to moment to check an items operational ability. I am not running a layout with it. The two wires for the light, one goes to yellow on the transformer and the other to ground? The wires to the switch, one goes to ground and the other to ??? . Thanks, Bob.
Bob Schulz
rhschulz2000@gmail.com
720-530-2924
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2018 00:45:38(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Bob,

One to brown and one to yellow (light). But only for a short pulse. A longer contact (longer than a few seconds) will burn the coil.

A 280 with a deteriorated mains cable can have mains voltage on the case when plugging it in. It does not matter how long it is plugged in to get a shock.

Regards

Markus