Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2018 07:34:02(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

This link appeared on another rail related website , probably about 40 years old with only a very small bit of sound in one segment . I knew there was a considerable number of tram routes in Stuttgart but did not know they were so varied , considering I have been to this city a few times when the "M" messe has been on I didn't realise how much I have missed . probably because of the 150 years of service that this has come out of someone's private collection in Australia . .

Link.

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2018 10:12:34(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Oh wow!!! 6 years back i had traveled to this beautiful city few times. Looking at the video, nothing much has changed I believe. All these trams now look much advanced with electronic display, but still in yellow color and now are called U - bahn . I remember using them extensively till someone told be about S-Bahn (Schnell bahn which was much faster with less stops) :) Nice share!

And this is the place where I got introduced to Marklin through a toy shop called "Spielwaren Kurtz" near Hauptbahnhof (Central station). I bought my first battery operated ICE set.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline IanC  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2018 17:10:22(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Spielwaren Kurtz was legendary but in the Marktplatz, not actually that near the Hauptbahnhof. It has recently relocated and is no longer the model railway mecca it once was. I think my second Marklin purchase and possibly third and fourth came from there before I discovered Hunerbein in Aachen which is conveniently on the way home to the UK - all roads lead to Aachen! My very first Marklin purchases were from the Horten department store in Bremen but that hardly qualified as a serious model shop. Alas, Kurtz has relocated nearby, opposite the indoor market hall and is a shadow of its former self with hardly any model railway stuff. And it had such a prominent position before, it was a real landmark, especially at the time of the Christmas Market - "meet you outside Spielwaren Kurtz" - was often said. I think you could say that it was famous. Apparently, it's now another coffee bar, yeh, we really need another one of them!

Regarding the Stuttgart trams, there's an excellent museum at Bad Canstatt: Straßenbahnwelt Stuttgart, about twice as far from the HBF as Kurts but in the opposite direction.
www.strassenbahnwelt.com

Viel spass

IanC
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2018 22:59:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post

This link appeared on another rail related website , probably about 40 years old with only a very small bit of sound in one segment . I knew there was a considerable number of tram routes in Stuttgart but did not know they were so varied , considering I have been to this city a few times when the "M" messe has been on I didn't realise how much I have missed . probably because of the 150 years of service that this has come out of someone's private collection in Australia . .
Cheers Tom in Oz .

Next time next chance, because ....

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtbahn_Stuttgart

https://de.wikipedia.org...arter_Stra%C3%9Fenbahnen

https://de.wikipedia.org.../Standseilbahn_Stuttgart

https://de.wikipedia.org...ki/Zahnradbahn_Stuttgart

... museum is good, reality is better. You can catch historic coaches every Sunday on 2 Oldtimer lines within their regular scheduled operations. It is Oldtimer line 21 and 23.

But the total hit will be you got the steepest streetcars in the world in Stuttgart. They got a cog railway with 17,8 % (yes percent!) and a funicular railway with an incline of 27% (yes again: percent). You may read it in the Wikipedia article.

On your way back home to Australia, make a stop over in San Francisco and compare it to the cable cars there. Do not know their incline, but as I remember from my visit there, 27% no I do not think it was as steep as the street cars in Stuttgart.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf