Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aclassifier  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2018 18:57:04(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
My Märklin 37514 some times (very seldom) starts to run very fast, and I have no control from my Mobile Station II 60657 or the old gray 60653, both with ver. 2.5 SW.

I am not able to reproduce it since it seems to happen rather coincidentally.

I have 9 other locos on the same track, none of those have behaved like this.

Is there a way to tweak the onboard's SW version out of it with an MSII?

Or with a Central Station (that I don't have).

Is there at all any way for a user to update the SW, and in case, with what and where would the SW be? I have seen that sound files may be downloaded and programmed with the Central Station, but the running SW itself?

It was delivered new to me Sept. 2017.

How do I proceed from here?
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2018 15:57:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It would seem to me that the locomotive is reacting as if it was an analog model and the MS was not recognizing the decoder.
This could either be a problem with the decoder or with the settings on the MS.
Was the lok recorded into the MS automatically (mfx) or did you enter the settings manually?
You could try either deleting and reregistering the lok in the MS2 or you can try a decoder (factory) reset.
If this does not help, you might wish to check with your dealer, as the lok will be a year old in a few months and the warranty may be up (if bought from a dealer).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline aclassifier  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2018 20:42:26(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Right Mike, the behaviour probably looks like it would believe it would all of a sudden run as an analogue. This could perhaps be after a bumby slow ride over a switch, where I the power capacitors might discharge.

By the way, does it store its running parameters in eeprom or does it restart from void and then might believe that the voltage on the track is AC and therefore speed away like an analogue?

It registered itself, it has an mfx+ digital decoder.

I'll try to delete and reregister it and certainly try to observe better what is actually happening.

Aside: Against fault in production or faults that appear that are not related to wear there would be a five years warranty by law in Norway. It goes for all, even computers.
Offline aclassifier  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2018 10:23:54(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
I forgot to say that the loco returns to nomal running with digital control once I remove power from it and power it again. At least after one or two attempts (strange..). So it seems like the registering in the MS2 might have been ok all along.
Offline DasBert33  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2018 14:47:48(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I have exactly the same problem with some of my most recent purchases. As you mentioned, only mfx+ locos seem affected. Same cure, powering off and on again.

In my case the 37018 S2/6 suffers most from this issue. A simple derailment of another train, with a brief short, can send the loco off running. It already resulted in a big crash in my hidden yard.

I tried disabling analog AC/DC running in the decoder, as well as changing Vmax in analog mode to 0. This seemed to help a bit but doesnt entirely fix it.

My BR58 (37587) is also affected but less, as well as my BR94 (37168).

The only new loco that seems to work OK is 39044 (BR42). I have no clue why this one works fine and the others don't.

Anyway, if there is a software update, please post here. Not that I can apply it, I still use my Ecos1 to drive my trains.

Bert
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2018 14:52:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have seen this behaviour in a couple of my locos, usually provoked by a momentary short circuit on track power. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it need the power to be switched off from the mains for a minute or so and then restored.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2018 15:07:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DasBert33 Go to Quoted Post
I have exactly the same problem with some of my most recent purchases. As you mentioned, only mfx+ locos seem affected. Same cure, powering off and on again.

In my case the 37018 S2/6 suffers most from this issue. A simple derailment of another train, with a brief short, can send the loco off running. It already resulted in a big crash in my hidden yard.

I tried disabling analog AC/DC running in the decoder, as well as changing Vmax in analog mode to 0. This seemed to help a bit but doesnt entirely fix it.

My BR58 (37587) is also affected but less, as well as my BR94 (37168).

The only new loco that seems to work OK is 39044 (BR42). I have no clue why this one works fine and the others don't.

Anyway, if there is a software update, please post here. Not that I can apply it, I still use my Ecos1 to drive my trains.

Bert

Did you turn off DCC mode? I suspect that whatever electrical impulses are sent by the sparks make the loco think it should be operating in DCC mode.

Offline aclassifier  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2018 20:21:48(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
I just now tried to switch off DCC on my MSII: SHIFT-RIGHTMOST TOP KEY -> Loco Protocols -> from "mfx,DCC,MM2" to "mfx,MM2".

Eight of my nine locos ran, but I was able to ask the ninth, a Roco 78494 (that was the only running DCC, and did not respond when I switched it off) to do MM2:

Märklin 29240
Märklin 36336
Märklin 37512
Märklin 37512b
Roco 36330 (that works without DCC, probably on DELTA?)
Roco 78494 (was DCC. Removed it. Added it. "Find" caused ->DCC, but "Manual"->"MM2 programmable" (or the like) worked!) (has sound)
Märklin 37294 (has sound)
Märklin 37561 (has sound)
Märklin 37514 (mfx+, the only that seems to have the run-fast problem) (has sound)

So now DCC is not used by MSII. Thanks for that tip, DasBert33!

But who's the master of the protocols, except the settings of possible protocols by the station? Will any loco set to protocol X always be spoken on over X from MSII? May the loco switch from X to Y or even to AC (during noise on the line or loco power-down/up?) And, if a loco switches, will the MSII follow?

Or is the first hypothesis just as interesting, that the loco switches to AC mode? In that mode I guess the MSII would not be able to follow.
Offline aclassifier  
#9 Posted : 08 September 2018 17:48:25(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Just needed to say that, even if Roco 78494 did allow me to run MM2, I lost some sound functions, like the Station announcement. But back on DCC it's there.
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 08 September 2018 18:27:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
MM only allows functions f0-f4. DCC allows for many more functions. It may be possible to access some of the additional functions by enabling the second Motorola address function on the decoder, which allows you to either access f5-f8 via the next address. Some decoders may allow you to set a second address manually.

Regards

Mike C
Offline aclassifier  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2018 21:02:33(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Thanks! Before you posted that answer I went on with another thread.

See Program CV not allowed on 37514 and 37511 - Program CV is striked through on MM2?