Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BigOldSofty  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2018 15:38:26(UTC)
BigOldSofty

Australia   
I have a V60 (37861) with non working telex coupler here to repair for someone.
The coupling has never worked. The loco was purchased in Germany and brought back to Australia.

The owner does not want to send it to Marklin to fix, because they have already lost one of his locos and another came back with a bigger fault than the one it was sent with and took 2years and many phone calls to be returned.

How can this coupler be made to work. The coupler itself is fine. However I do not have sufficient information on the driver circuit.
I do know that neither coupler is activated via an AUX pin from the decoder so I suspect a serial signal is processed in the additional processor.

Any information would be most welcome so I can fix the problem and get the loco back to its owner.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2018 17:59:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: BigOldSofty Go to Quoted Post
The coupling has never worked. The loco was purchased in Germany and brought back to Australia.

The owner does not want to send it to Marklin to fix, because they have already lost one of his locos and another came back with a bigger fault than the one it was sent with and took 2years and many phone calls to be returned.

How can this coupler be made to work. The coupler itself is fine. However I do not have sufficient information on the driver circuit.
I do know that neither coupler is activated via an AUX pin from the decoder so I suspect a serial signal is processed in the additional processor.

Any information would be most welcome so I can fix the problem and get the loco back to its owner.

Hi Wolf,

Did you try getting in touch with toottoot in NZ as I suggested on the B&G (They also frequent this list so may see your query here)?

Another option would be Nathans in Brisbane who I believe have a direct line to Marklin. They were doing the Australian Warranty work for the sets that Aldi sold in Australia, and I have heard good reports of them.
Offline BigOldSofty  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2018 23:57:27(UTC)
BigOldSofty

Australia   
As far as I know Nathan is no longer around. The last I heard he moved to Singapore.
The owner has now decided to replace the entire electronics in the loco with some other company's gear.
I just have to decide how best to replace the front LEDs.

I have already been told by Marklin that they do not sell electronic spare parts so a replacement interface board is out of the question.
I do have a replacement mSD decoder hear which I cannot be sure I can program correctly.
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2018 04:42:22(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Nathan's is most definitely still in Brisbane. I see Noel at least once per month..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Online JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2018 11:08:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi

This kind of Telex usually get stuck because of extreme lightweight of the telex moving part.
The picture below shows a factory-mounted Telex on a Märklin loco. It is shown here with the bottom part pulled down.
It is very delicate and the alternative is to purchase a spare telex (E117993) like this one on german ebay (2 pieces for 25€): https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...e63cb:g:D~EAAOSwjlBaL~n~
Warning: never oil the Telex otherwise you must replace it or completely open it and clean.
UserPostedImage

Another source of problems is the decoder output which can be damaged
Usually, only one output is damaged and the rest of decoder is OK. So on your loco at least one coupler should work.
Note: these couplers are connected directly to the output while the other wire is connected to the common return (usually orange).
To avoid problems it is best to program them as a timed output (I set mine to 9 seconds)

I hope this helps
Cheers

Jean
Offline BigOldSofty  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2018 12:16:53(UTC)
BigOldSofty

Australia   
The common for the two couplers is connected to V+ (the orange wire). The other side to a chip on the interface board and not directly to the decoder.
Even when the working coupler is activated none of the four AUX outputs change state. AUX1/2 are always LOW and AUX3/4 are always HIGH.

I think therefore a serial signal is used to the processor on the interface board and the it controls the couplers. Without a circuit diagram I'm only guessing of course.

And I can't be bothered spending the time to reverse engineer that board.

Regards

Wolf.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 30 June 2018 15:26:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The common for the two couplers is connected to V+ (the orange wire). The other side to a chip on the interface board and not directly to the decoder.
Even when the working coupler is activated none of the four AUX outputs change state. AUX1/2 are always LOW and AUX3/4 are always HIGH.

I think therefore a serial signal is used to the processor on the interface board and the it controls the couplers. Without a circuit diagram I'm only guessing of course.

And I can't be bothered spending the time to reverse engineer that board.

Regards

Wolf.

It sounds like they are using a SUSI interface to drive it, like they do for the C-Sine motors.