Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2018 05:02:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think these days manufacturers are not adding things to it they take things off where ever they can or exchange materials from metal to plastic, reduce the amount of metal used in a loco, so in real terms they are not enhancing models rather find ways of compromising designs by saving materials.
Suppose the only one stuck to its guns is HAG whereas they have not compromised on materials rather enhanced the loco with other modern gadgets such as electronic components.
Roco has started to reduce the metal amount in their loco frames for no good reasons except to save money on materials and at the same time has reduced the amount of rubber tyres from 4 to 2.
What we always wished from Märklin was to a have a drive train over all axles (what is happening now with their new DC motors all axles are driven)
although electric locos from Roco all axles are driven (except AC models) rubber tyres are now only fitted to one bogie leaving the other driven bogie without rubber tyres which in my opinion kills the purpose of having both bogies powered.
I also think since the introduction of torque regulated motors, manufacturers have woken up we can reduce the weight of the loco or the motor itself (Märklin models = identical BR 216 diesel loco).

the sale of models these days is not what's inside rather what the loco looks like, same with cars we hardly hear what a car has these days (spare tyre) but we are told it has a mobile phone connection.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2018 07:42:05(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
John,you are correct in my opinion.

Still,i wonder whether the trend to exchange metal for plastic will continue in the long run.
The oceans becoming more and more a plastic soup,the use of plastic is getting more and more negative publicity.
In The Netherlands,it is forbidden by law to hand out plastic bags for free in the supermarket,if you want one you need to pay,this has already reduced the use of plastic considerably.

Cars: our Ford B-Max has Korean made tyres,for the spare wheel we had to pay extra,but it has more gimmicks than we will ever need!

I have been a technical purchaser in shipping for the larger part of my life,i know management will try and cut corners in an attempt to save money,which in itself is understood.
The art is to save money whilst still providing quality to end users,not that easy.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2018 12:04:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
John,you are correct in my opinion.

Still,i wonder whether the trend to exchange metal for plastic will continue in the long run.
The oceans becoming more and more a plastic soup,the use of plastic is getting more and more negative publicity.
In The Netherlands,it is forbidden by law to hand out plastic bags for free in the supermarket,if you want one you need to pay,this has already reduced the use of plastic considerably.

Cars: our Ford B-Max has Korean made tyres,for the spare wheel we had to pay extra,but it has more gimmicks than we will ever need!

I have been a technical purchaser in shipping for the larger part of my life,i know management will try and cut corners in an attempt to save money,which in itself is understood.
The art is to save money whilst still providing quality to end users,not that easy.

Australia has introduced and banned plastic supermarket bags but all spring water is still wrapped in plastic. the Government also initiated cutting sugar by 20 % in soft drinks,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2018 12:21:14(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I know this is off the subject, however, John mentioned plastic bags in supermarkets. Tell me - who knows about biodegradable plastic bags ? Has anyone heard about them ? I'd love to know who does know about them.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2018 13:09:31(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I know this is off the subject, however, John mentioned plastic bags in supermarkets. Tell me - who knows about biodegradable plastic bags ? Has anyone heard about them ? I'd love to know who does know about them.

Biodegradable means that the chemical substance will be deluted and comes back in seawater as a chemical soup,very hard to trace.
The medicine is worse than the disease i would say.

And,to put the record straight,it was me who mentioned the plastic bags in the first place.

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2018 17:46:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post

They are basically made of corn starch AIUI. This is also the same stuff that Vollmer have used for their bio-plastic building kits.

Corn starch bags are not as strong as the plastic ones, at least in my experience, they are supplied with our food waste bins for keeping the bin clean when putting food scraps out for disposal with the weekly rubbish. They supply them as it means the whole bag of food can be tossed into the bio-digester without having to separate out the bags. However the ones we were supplied with always seem to split very readily.

Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2018 22:05:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The manufacturers are providing what the market will pay for while maximizing profit. To that end, little used features that are more expensive to implement and not legally required, get dropped.

For model trains, it is easier to produce very detail rich body's out of plastic injection molding, vs hand assembling metal with railings, and some fine detail isn't producible as a metal casting/stamping at all, or not in a cost effective way. So as the buyer market wants greater detail, its easy to jump to cheaper/lighter plastic to solve that. Less rubber tires also means better electrical contact with the track (reduced power pickup issues), so consider that.

For cars, the loss of the full sized spare pertains to added weight and space taken up by a full sized spare, in a world where the vast majority of the vehicles sold drive in 1st world urban/semi-urban environments, where people can call on car-clubs and road-side assistance to help/tow if they have a flat. The need for a full-size spare is drastically reduced to a very small subset of vehicle purchasers, and the reduced weight adds fuel economy improvements, and provides more cargo space. Business decision. One of my cars came without a spare tire or jack of any kind, just a bottle of tire sealant and an 12 v powered inflation pump. A spare with jack is produced as an accessory for delivery in nations where a legal mandate for a spare exists - so I purchased that kit, and added it to my car, as a belt-and-suspenders solution, even though I have roadside assisstance (as I recall sitting for 5 hours in a downpour on a cross USA drive waiting for the tow-truck to show up).

For biodegradable bags - I know of them. The idea is that in the landfills they would degrade. Whether they work their way into the ground water in some state and then back up in pumps I cannot speak to. But in Seattle and some surrounding areas, they have banned or are charging extra for bags because while the US plastic shopping bags (much flimsier than Euro plastic shopping bags) are used by folks to pick up their dog poop, or line small waste bins, the very small and light nature of the bags resulted in many of them being blown around the area and ending up being a trash-pickup problem (sloppy people not throwing them into the trash as intended). The side effect is rather than just banning or adding fees to plastic bags, they did it to ALL store bags, including paper bags - which could be produced from recycled paper and are naturally biodegradable. A poor policy decision in my mind, but the US hasn't until recently started in some of these pockets, begun moving to bring your own bag shopping. Grocery shopping in Germany in the 1970's and 80's was all about bringing your own bags or pay money at the til to buy plastic (more substantial and larger) bags.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2018 01:34:15(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

For model trains, it is easier to produce very detail rich body's out of plastic injection molding, vs hand assembling metal with railings, and some fine detail isn't producible as a metal casting/stamping at all, or not in a cost effective way. So as the buyer market wants greater detail, its easy to jump to cheaper/lighter plastic to solve that. Less rubber tires also means better electrical contact with the track (reduced power pickup issues), so consider that.

From what I can see, more and more Märklin locos now have both metal body and frame, with only the detail parts being done in plastic. It would price the models out of my range if they did those details in metal, so plastic there is perfect IMO. The drivetrain quality has improved and their latest decoders are basically as good as the ESU ones, with the exception of configurability. I know that it is a special model, but take a look at the CAD images for the new insider class 65. That is a very high quality model with copious cast metal and many fine details.

I really like the quality direction Märklin is currently taking, even as I adjust to the higher prices. My last reservation regards the motors, because I still can't determine if they have come back up to a high level of quality, or are still using the lame 3 pole, cheap motors that they have used recently. They do mention "special" or "bell shaped armature" motors in some of their product listing, so maybe that is improving as well.

Many people on this forum have held Märklin's feet to the fire on quality lately, myself included. But I see a definite trend toward high quality models and for that I am grateful. My 39241 is the most beautiful HO loco that I have ever seen, and although not cheap, it was still a reasonable value.

I don't see a downgrade in Märklin quality in the last few years, but rather a marked increase, and one that I am quite grateful for myself. That is a trend in MRR products in general but not one that I see Märklin currently following.

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think Märklin may be moving back to the top tier of train makers and that is something that we all should celebrate. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2018 06:51:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jim, thanks for your reply, your post is definitely looking at the trend Märklin seems to go. I think it is fair to say for the common modeler, products are getting better in details and most modelers are happy for what they getting without going into any particular or deeper analyses and therefore declaring their model is fine. Of course there is always the true supporter who doesn't mind how much he or she pays for a loco so long the company stays alive and there have been more wonderful models recently.
I think it is also fair to say when insider or special editions come onto the market they are snapped up in no time and one could say its a win win situation for both the company and the modeler.
In cases whereas materials have been compromised, prices haven't and again its up to the individual buyer whether he or she can live with it and can afford it.
In my case having a rather bigger layout it is only natural one tries to re-create a prototypical passenger or freight train configuration and this means you need a loco or 2 to do the job.
and as it current stands I don't have any problems with any manufacturer not being able to use their locos for this purpose but lately I found weight has been compromised, maybe not detrimental but I think its getting close to it.

John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 29 June 2018 16:17:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

In cases whereas materials have been compromised, prices haven't and again its up to the individual buyer whether he or she can live with it and can afford it.

John,

Yes, the price increases are a worry.

I see some companies lowering quality and keeping the prices stable while others are maintaining or increasing quality but also prices. For now this has resulted in me doing more upgrades on my older locos and cutting back on purchases of new models. I have returned to my old collecting philosophy of favoring just the nicest and most unique trains.

Unfortunately that also means concentrating on the top price level models and that is starting to pinch a bit. For instance the BR 65 and Silberlinge coaches I mentioned in my last post. They are very nice and model the unique push/pull trains from Era III, but three coaches and a tank loco for $800 USD is really quite a bit. I guess we will just have to make hard decisions about the value of each item and how well they fit our layout needs.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 29 June 2018 16:55:39(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Problem with model rail is it is a diminishing hobby with fewer younger people taking an interest. In years gone by most kids would have been given a model railway but these days is a tablet or mobile phone. I wonder how many on here are under the age of 40. The result is there will be fewer manufacturers and increased prices with a cut back on manufacturing costs.
As some now even want to use phones to run a layout it may be that in the future layouts will just be on phones using pics of locos and software to design your track. However at least in my life time I will still have Marklin and I can enjoy running and driving trains even if it costs more and there are differences to the materials used in my Locos etc.
In the UK I doubt that Hornby will be with us much longer unless they can scale back and forget Airfix and just produce a few locos and use another manufacturers track.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Jabez  
#12 Posted : 29 June 2018 23:24:58(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Most of the videos we see here of the attendees at MRR shows and exhibits (excepting major commercial attractions like Miniature Wunderland of course) bear out your contention we are in a grey hair (if any hair) hobby zone.
Since members here optionally show their birthdate in their profile it should be possible for someone with time to spare and know-how to extract a reasonably accurate age-profile of the members.
As Maerklin 3 railers we are a subset of the wider hobby and it would be very interesting to see if we are older than the hobby average, which I suspect is the case.
Jabez- 78 next week.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 30 June 2018 05:10:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Talking about age, I'm going to be 74 in August (young as ever) and having learnt a few things in life not to spend every dollar on a nice loco to increase my collection, I'm more cautious now because money isn't flowing free into my pocket anymore, secondly as we've all noticed its getting harder to purchase locos these days., funny enough I'm still searching for bargains but at the same time telling myself just save your money for something else before hitting the button "pay now".
Roco has some legendary ÖBB steam locos and also Märklin (Rh 50, Rh 42), which I remember seeing en route "Semmering" from Mürzzuschlag while holidaying as a kid (about 5-6 years old) the room I had looked over to the railway line and I'm sure they had double headers as well. but with Roco models you would need 2 locos to pull a descent freight train and this takes me well beyond my budget., with other words I can't afford it.
My other observation has been while a loco is running how much of any detail can you notice ? while you have your eyes 5 cm away from a model one can inspect all the details but being 2,3 or 5 meters away the detail is not an important issue anymore. when we've displayed our layout I also noticed never did anybody say: Oh this loco has a lot of details.

As mentioned before having very few new models (steam) my older Märklin loco collection consists mainly of the robust BR 44's, Br 50's, BR 41, BR 23's, BR 24, BR 01's, they don't have any brake pads and a bit rougher in its detail but at least they do their job and have done so for the last 50+ years.
a BR 44 in very good condition may cost me just under € 120.00 + postage, getting it converted another € 20.00 (5 pole high efficiency motor), adding a sound decoder € 185.00 with an adapter plate and doing my own led lighting which brings it to a total of € 325.00., buying a Märklin loco (39045) Rh 42, would cost € 340.00 with sound, I've just asked myself is it worth it ?, well it is for me when one considers I buy the sound decoder wholesale + I add more gadget Aux functions to the loco, such as ball bearings, gear lights, fire box light, cab light and if applicable red marker lights.

John
Offline Harryv40  
#14 Posted : 30 June 2018 09:59:08(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi I agree with the previous comments!

I was 63 last Saturday! So I think I maybe one of the younger members!

Some of the problems getting young people interested in the hobby are linked to the model railway shows, where very few have layouts to let children have a go. Nowadays they are operated mostly by older men who put barriers in the way and set the layout to high for younger children to see.
Also for the most part very few operators speak to anyone other than other adults or other operators.

If Marklin and other producers wish to develop a long term life for model railways and start thinking about the price of start set and the cost of sections of track to allow children to grow the railway to keep them interested, because an oval of track and a train going round and round soon loses to a tablet or a model phone.

Harry
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Rwill  
#15 Posted : 30 June 2018 10:30:40(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi I agree with the previous comments!

I was 63 last Saturday! So I think I maybe one of the younger members!

Some of the problems getting young people interested in the hobby are linked to the model railway shows, where very few have layouts to let children have a go. Nowadays they are operated mostly by older men who put barriers in the way and set the layout to high for younger children to see.
Also for the most part very few operators speak to anyone other than other adults or other operators.

If Marklin and other producers wish to develop a long term life for model railways and start thinking about the price of start set and the cost of sections of track to allow children to grow the railway to keep them interested, because an oval of track and a train going round and round soon loses to a tablet or a model phone.

Harry

I am not sure I agree - but we may be wandering far from the topic. My recent experience of model rail shows is that they are good with youngsters with step stools and layouts for the kids to control - although I accept that quite often we are in "old boys terriotory"

I have a gransdon two years old and he is already into his trains with a brio set and other freestanding trains. He loves to visit my layout and grunt - Grandad trains - although he is yet to discuss the merits of ESU versus Marklin! We recently took him to the famous Bluebell Railway in Sussex and I was surprised and very pleased to see in the excelllent shop a good display and stock of Marklin My world kit. I always have in the back of my mind his first start up set will be the fire service set however it has been pointed out to me that with german language graphics and sounds on the decoder I may have to think again.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 30 June 2018 11:44:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Good to see that at 76 I have others on here around the same age. As Rwill points out very young kids can take an interest in a model railway the difficult part is getting them to stay interested as they get older.
Getting more on topic it is also interesting to see that has been said above just how many small details are seen when our models are moving on the layouts.
If there is not a driver in a loco I wonder how many would comment on this when looking at a working layout.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 30 June 2018 15:21:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Getting more on topic it is also interesting to see that has been said above just how many small details are seen when our models are moving on the layouts.

If there is not a driver in a loco I wonder how many would comment on this when looking at a working layout.

Good point David.

When I put my macro lens on my camera and take closeup photos, all of that detail is very pretty. But out on the layout most of that detailing is hard to see on HO scale models. I have several cases of older and simpler models of the same prototype running with newer and highly detailed models. When they are running on the layout they really do not look very different at all.

What really matters to me is pulling power (really getting back to the thread topic), high quality sound and smooth operation. Functional features like telex couplers are important in operation for me and I like models with cab lighting and running gear lighting. As manufacturers add detail to increase sales they often make very pretty models when in reality simper ones would be cheaper and work just as well. Unfortunately the competition between MRR companies for diminishing sales seems to be driving them to offer ever more complex models.

That is a big part of the attraction of converting older locos to newer electronics, which is a win-win when you already own the older models and have the time to do the upgrades yourself. Besides it is fun and I enjoy seeing my older locos out there running with my fancy new toys and easily holding their own. I also like being able to handle those older models without fear of breaking some of the very delicate parts most newer locos have.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 01 July 2018 04:04:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Jim,

I go along with that and this has been my policy (if one call it that) for a few years now, in the early days of my collection hunting when a new catalogue came out and I ticked all the locos I'm going to purchase and when they finally arrived a close inspection took place and this task usually ended when new items had been announced, so the new became old and the new new went through the same method by inspecting them and sometimes I've found parts especially coupler adapter which my older models didn't have.

Cameras tell the real story and it isn't always pleasant when one takes a video and than sees all the bits and pieces lying on the track, rubber tyres coming off, tools appear next to the track and of course the usual accident, which never occurred before or the train stops just to retake the same shot again.

John
Offline Markus Schild  
#19 Posted : 01 July 2018 10:27:08(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

That's not a new phenomena. Same POCHER - car. The first one is made ~1960. The second one is made in the later 1960s. Early ones run much better.

pocher-100.jpg

pocher-101.jpg

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline hxmiesa  
#20 Posted : 05 July 2018 15:45:25(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I certainly see it in another hobby-world; LEGO.
The famous blocks have declined in quality numerous times over the last decade!
Long gone are the sturdy life-lasting ABS blocks, and they are now with much thinner walls, less color (semi-transparent when held up in front of a light source) -and cracking up (fracturing) over time or after a couple of uses.
Once very dependable colours over decades of production, different tones of the same colour can now be found in pieces within a single set.
Clamping-force also varies, altohugh in general it has gone down. (Some pieces wont even bind correctly)

Prices -of course- has sky-rocketed.
All-in-all a very similar situation to that of the Märklin products, except that one would think that the LEGO bricks are a much simpler (technologically) product than model trains, and so it is impossible (for me at least) to understand why these problems has appeared.
More-so when you take into account that this last decade has been an economic BOOM for LEGO. This is certainly the opposite of the model railroad world, where at least one famous brand closes down (or gets bought out) each year.

I think that all industries does the same; Once-famous car brands -living off past fame- also gets worse and worse.

Any brand loyalty -in any kind of products- must be seen as a personal psychosis in todays production environment...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 05 July 2018 22:24:17(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I suspect part of the Lego story is that it's brick patents expired and so they now have to compete with the cheaper Chinese product that the consumer seeking the cheapest toy for the dollar. So Lego focused on licensed components tied to film and story intellectual property and gaming but that no doubt cuts profit margins too.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#22 Posted : 06 July 2018 01:17:27(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I suspect part of the Lego story is that it's brick patents expired and so they now have to compete with the cheaper Chinese product that the consumer seeking the cheapest toy for the dollar.

I agree. At one time Legos were a unique concept and fostered creativity in young minds. But times have moved that market into the digital realm and now all that is left of the Lego mystique are cheap knockoffs - whether from Lego or from Chinese pirates.

Am I the only one who thinks that Märklin is making major strides in HO quality overall? It seems to me that they are working to get back up to the top tier among volume model train companies, which I was not sure would ever happen again. You can't turn a company the size of Märklin on a dime, but it seems to slowly be coming around to me.

Although I see a lot of improvement they still have to convince me that their reliability is back to an acceptable level, after having numerous issues over the last few years. But from my POV things are finally moving in the right direction with Märklin after many, many years and I an quite happy. Hopefully reliability will approve along with the quality of models they are producing. BigGrin

So right now I will at least give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for their future success. Cool

Doesn't anyone else here share my optimism or have I become delusional? BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 06 July 2018 10:13:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Strange, I haven't seen any difference at all in the Lego sets I've bought recently. Could it be that different markets source their bricks differently?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Markus Schild  
#24 Posted : 06 July 2018 11:09:54(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Strange, I haven't seen any difference at all in the Lego sets I've bought recently. Could it be that different markets source their bricks differently?

Hi,

I also have nothing bad to say about LEGO. But I got two times counterfeit sets in the last months. One bought at ebay.de and the other one bought at Amazon.de. Not the known "LEPIN" stuff, but really complete fakes, including the LEGO - box. One was a truck 42070 set and the other one a fire brigade headquarter 60110. On a first view looking like originals, but if you know how genuine boxes and bags look like you will notice the difference. The ebay seller was kicked out of ebay and Paypal refunded me, Amazon just took it back. From my complaint at Amazon I only got an automatic response.

Regards

Markus