Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gwolski  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2018 20:16:35(UTC)
gwolski

United States   

Background
České dráhy (ČD) is leasing ten Vectron locomotives from ELL (European Locomotive Leasing). Starting with this years time table change in December, ten machines should be available to ČD. for intended use on the Prague – Dresden – Berlin – Hamburg Eurocity (EC) trains. The livery design thus depicts a silhouette of each city mentioned.

At first, the Vectron locomotives will only be used between Prague and Dresden, as ČD’s partner on the German part of the route, Deutsch Bahn, needs more time for driver training. First through services with Vectron locomotives are expected to be introduced mid-2018. Here's a screenshot from vagonweb.cz showing the new Vectron as motive power for the Porta Bohemica train (more on that later).

REVIEW
The Vectron 193 locomotive is an offering from Piko's Expert line and is well detailed. Although the end handrails are separately applied, the door handrails on each side are molded on but the delicate silver painting makes them appear separate. The roof is well detailed and appears to match references with parts properly locates and scale looking. The paint scheme is smooth, with clear demarcations between colors and a lot of fine printing. I really like the cityscapes pictured on the side for the various cities.

Now for some specifics:

3 RAIL
Yes, this locomotive is also available in 3 rail as part #59088.

DIGITAL
Yes, a NEM 658 PluX22 socket is ready for installation of a decoder. I am fond of ESU's decoders, so I will place an order this weekend for one.

PORTA BOHEMICA
As mentioned above, this is the assigned motive power for the EC 378/379 Porta Bohemica train. I will pair this locomotive along with my ACME Porta Bohemica sets. I'll try to find a track and get some pics of the entire train.

CLOSING
In summary, this is another good looking and well priced offering from Piko. The color scheme is well done and it's ready for a decoder. I'll circle back and update this review once I get a chance to put some running time on it.

Gene Wolski
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2018 08:51:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks Gene for a clear review of what today is an iconic loco in Europe.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.