Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2018 13:35:39(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
May i have your comments please.

Last night i saw the US movie Unstoppable on Dutch TV for the first time.
I sat down in front of the TV with great expectations,hardly ever do we see trainmovies on our TV.
All in all i was dissapointed,getting to sleep with the feeling "i should have known better".
Why?
Surely,the movie is full of action and music to go with it.
But how do you make a spectacular movie about something not very spectacular in general?

Some European observations on my part:

1.The driver who made the error of letting his train escape is being bullished by his colleagues in harsh terms,are errors not allowed in the USA?
2.The hero loco driver is in constant argument with his helper,why,are they not colleagues?
3.The traffic controller is a pretty female but did she have any railroad experience before she got the job?
4.The hero loco driver skips a siding because there is not enough length there to park his train,so what for heavens sake?
5.Even during moments of trying to survive,the hero loco driver and his helper are having complete conversations about what to do,as if everything requires an userguide.
6.The tracks on which the trains run are in a very poor state,huge locomotives on poor track,oh dear.

And one or two more which on this forum are considered "political".

Your votes please.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2018 13:55:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Paul,

Welcome to Hollywood!

When watching a dramatic movie one must always realise that facts cannot be allowed to interfere with a good story! BigGrin

I've seen this movie, and honestly I've seen far worse! What about all the science fiction movies that totally ignore the laws of physics? Also in war movies and westerns the good guys never run out of bullets, do they?

Your points 1-3 are all just adding interest in the interplay of relationships.

I don't understand your point 4. If the train does not fit in the siding it would not be possible for the driver to use the siding to get out of the way of the runaway train.

Point 5 is about keeping the audience interested. Remember, most people haven't a clue about how trains work.

Point 6 - Have you been to America? Many lines are very lightly and poorly laid according to European standards.

I don't want to shoot down your comments, but maybe you need to see the movie in perspective as a work of dramatic art, not as a railway documentary!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2018 13:59:27(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
All in all i was dissapointed,getting to sleep with the feeling "i should have known better".
Why?

That's funny. I really like the movie. Yes it has some overdramatized parts, but all in all I really like it.

1.The driver who made the error of letting his train escape is being bullished by his colleagues in harsh terms,are errors not allowed in the USA?

It is hardly an error to set aside security practices "just because". He deliberately left the driver's seat of a running engine to run ahead and change a turnout. This cannot be excused as an error. When they realized that the engine was under power, it left the yard faster than they could manage to stop it. The guys is fired, which is appropiate for this sort of neglect. The bullying by the colleages is probably just to picture the rough nature of working at a railroad.

2.The hero loco driver is in constant argument with his helper,why,are they not colleagues?

The "helper" is union. He comes from a pool of workers that threatens the jobs of the old dogs. The hero driver is an old dog, he just got fired before the movie starts, because the railroad has discovered that they can save money by hiring new employees. So basically he has no reason to like his helper, as he took his job.

3.The traffic controller is a pretty female but did she have any railroad experience before she got the job?

Why is this relevant? Being a pretty female does not exclude being a good traffic controller...

4.The hero loco driver skips a siding because there is not enough length there to park his train,so what for heavens sake?

He is an old dog. He knows his railroad. He makes the decision to avoid a collision. The scene is probably there to emphasize who knows best. Disaster movies always has a character that no one believes in but turns out to be the best after all. Movies like this also has a character that everybody hates (the guy at the train company HQ) in this case.

5.Even during moments of trying to survive,the hero loco driver and his helper are having complete conversations about what to do,as if everything requires an userguide.

Would you NOT disqus this with your colleague in a situation like this? I don't see why this is wrong.

6.The tracks on which the trains run are in a very poor state,huge locomotives on poor track,oh dear.

Have you ever seen an American railroad? Off the main line, this is the way it looks. I think the setting is spot on realistic for this kind of railroad.

Just my 10... :-)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2018 14:27:33(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Ray,

Point 4: if the option is either a frontal collision or losing some cars at the back of the train,i would opt for the latter,no need to look for a siding that fits.

Point 5: Hanging on a gripbar and trying to get your feet on the runnaway loco to me does not look like the best moment for a conversation with a guy in a car driving alongside.

The movie follows the golden rules of almost all US disaster movies,including the near escape in the end,but hey,i have seen it now,no need to see it again.

For me it is "The Train" made in 1964 by John Frankenheimer,US made too!
A good second is "Silverstreak Express",holding a touch of humour too.

Edited by user 05 June 2018 18:52:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2018 17:00:41(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Also,in a frontal collission,the two speeds add up.
So if two trains collide head on each having a speed of say 50 miles/h,the impact speed is 100 miles/h.
If the train with the hero driver would simply stop,impact speed is only half,with crew running from the spot of course.
I do realise this does not make an exciting movie.

Perhaps good to remember same principle applies to car driving.
Recently there was a frontal car collission in The Netherlands with both cars driving at 80 km/h on a two lane road.
For both cars,the complete motor section was ripped off upto the windscreen,airbags in action,total 3 people killed,no survivors.
One of them was a Dutch Marine who survived two direct vehicle attacks in Afghanistan.
Makes one even more cautious on the road.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2018 18:55:08(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

So if two trains collide head on each having a speed of say 50 miles/h,the impact speed is 100 miles/h.

No. Wink Theoretically, if the two trains are identical, the impact speed will still be 50 miles/h.

Imagine you could hold a piece of paper between the two trains in the moment of impact;
the paper would not move, since the pressure from both sides will be the same.

Then imagine a big thick concrete wall between the two trains.

Each train will hit the wall with a speed of 50 miles/h, not "knowing" that the other train hits the same wall at the same time.

Per.

P.S: It's Newton's third law.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2018 19:38:43(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

No. Wink Theoretically, if the two trains are identical, the impact speed will still be 50 miles/h.

Imagine you could hold a piece of paper between the two trains in the moment of impact;
the paper would not move, since the pressure from both sides will be the same.

Then imagine a big thick concrete wall between the two trains.

Each train will hit the wall with a speed of 50 miles/h, not "knowing" that the other train hits the same wall at the same time.

Per.

P.S: It's Newton's third law.

Cool

And what about the absortion of the impact energy?
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2018 20:27:00(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

And what about the absortion of the impact energy

What about it ??

The impact energy will be the same for each train, no matter if it hits a stationary wall or another identical train traveling in the opposite direction with the same speed.

The total work resulting from the energy will be doubled if there are two trains; but will be divided between the two trains.

If "train number 1" was a solid wall, which couldn't be damaged, traveling 50 miles/h head on into "train number 2", traveling 50 miles/h in the opposite direction; then all the damage would be on "train number 2", and the damage would then be a result of a relative speed difference of 100 miles/h.

Per.

P.S: Even Mythbusters got it wrong when they first made an episode about this; but they corrected it in the second episode:

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2018 21:49:32(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
What i am trying to say is that the impact force of a moving object needs to be absorbed in some sort of way,the impact energy does not evaporate into the blue sky.

If a single train would run into a massive concrete block,the impact energy will be passed to the concrete without too much visible damage.
If however a moving train would run into another train,the impact energy will be partly passed to the other object,right?

If two cars collide head on,and one car is having zero speed,i suppose damage is less as compared to two cars having both a speed,right?
Because of this braking firmly is always the best option when another car comes straight at you,correct?

I am trying to understand Newton in easy language.
I have seen a picture of a frontal car collission with three people dead on the spot,not nice,the absorbtion zones of both cars flattended upto the windscreens,so that is where the impact energy got into,i think.

From the carfront:

Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2018 21:57:41(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

If however a moving train would run into another train,the impact energy will be partly passed to the other object,right?

And vise versa; meaning that both trains will end up feeling the same impact energy as if there was a wall.

I'm only trying to tell you how Newton's third law works, and only related to this statement:

I have no objections to anything else you have written.

Please watch the two Mythbusters videos I've found for you.

Per.

P.S: You can also think of it this way: If a train traveling 50 miles/h hits an identical "not moving" train, the damage to each train will be as if each train had traveled 25 miles/h ( or less! ) into a solid wall; because some of the energy from the moving train will be used to push the "not moving" train backwards. If the trains in this situation could handle the collision without being damaged, the result would be both trains ( The double mass ) traveling with half the speed.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline analogmike  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2018 00:36:09(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
My two cents:
The Movie Sucks.
And the FD tells me that I'm too critical Glare .

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 06 June 2018 03:45:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

May i have your comments please.

Last night i saw the US movie Unstoppable on Dutch TV for the first time.
I sat down in front of the TV with great expectations,hardly ever do we see trainmovies on our TV.
Why?
Surely,the movie is full of action and music to go with it.
But how do you make a spectacular movie about something not very spectacular in general?

Some European observations on my part:

And one or two more which on this forum are considered "political".

Your votes please.

Of course it is a movie but it shall have a real background, as I read in Wikipedia.

Text about the movie
https://en.wikipedia.org.../Unstoppable_(2010_film)

the real accident which gave the inspiration for the movie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSX_8888_incident

and finally a similar real train accident happened in Germany 1966 at the "Königsteiner Bahn". A typical local railway routing in Germany, connecting Frankfurt/Main central station and Königstein.

Look for the heading "Train crash near Oberliederbach in 1966"

https://en.wikipedia.org.../K%C3%B6nigstein_Railway

Beside the article you can toggle to German or Dutch translated versions.

Königstein is a small town on a hill of the mountain chain "Taunus" near Frankurt/Main. The accident claimed 8 victims. Also the movie is not real live, a real accident of the "Königsteiner Bahn" demonstrates the reality of an uncontrolled train running down a hill without an engine driver on board and cannot be stopped till it crashs. Even more worst, on board of the Königsteiner train bus was only one passenger who was not able to stop the train and tragically he died in this accident.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 06 June 2018 05:11:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I thought it was an awesome movie. Just don't take it too seriously.

It's far too easy to sit and shout at the screen "do this", or "don't do that" (referring to their efforts to catch the runaway Loco)

Thankfully, I have a copy, I now I feel like watching it. And maybe The Cassandra Crossing.......

I'm easily entertained. LOL LOL

Edited by user 06 June 2018 08:59:11(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline NS1200  
#14 Posted : 06 June 2018 07:49:39(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
I thought it was an awesome movie. Just don't take it too seriously.

It's far too easy to sit and shout at the screen "do this", or "who not do that".

Thankfully, I have a copy, I now I feel like watching it. And maybe The Cassandra Crossing.......

I'm easily entertained. LOL LOL

Try "The Train" if you have not seen it yet,it holds a number of realistic derailments,a realistic clash of trains at a station,strafing by a Spitfire,and good acting by people like Burt Lancaster,i like that one.

I dislike the "Read the manual" approach in US disaster movies,as if people have all the time in the world to think of various options.

I watched it because i like trains and yes i can be rather critical about directors going for the cheap option.
Paul Verhoeven is one of the best Dutch born movie directors.
He made "Soldier of Orange",after 40 years still considered one of the best Dutch movies.
But hey Verhoeven,dont use cardboard armoured "tanks",that really pisses me off!
We have a couple of nice tank collections in The Netherlands,you could have borrowed some,but you were taking the easy way out!

Apart from anything else,i was not shouting at the screen......
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 06 June 2018 08:02:08(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
And,Stephen,some like women with pale skin,others like women with dark skin,i like both!
I refer to political aspects of the movie for which discussion on this forum is a no go.

Denzel Washington may be a good actor to some,but in this movie he acts like a robot,hardly any real emotions,having full control all the time,knowing all the right answers,a typical American hero.

Edited by user 06 June 2018 11:27:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline petestra  
#16 Posted : 06 June 2018 11:43:54(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Paul.

I have not seen the film, Paul. You know Hollywood. They will cut corners and put junk out there. They are NOT the BBC who just about

always makes fabulous productions with efficient portrayals. As you can tell I'm a big BBC fan and always have been. They are the best and

Hollywood only relies on its name. Cheers, Peter. Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline utkan  
#17 Posted : 06 June 2018 12:31:35(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
I must admit that it has been a good remedy for the morning....BigGrin

Thank you Paul...ThumpUp
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by utkan
Offline NS1200  
#18 Posted : 06 June 2018 12:36:33(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul.

I have not seen the film, Paul. You know Hollywood. They will cut corners and put junk out there. They are NOT the BBC who just about

always makes fabulous productions with efficient portrayals. As you can tell I'm a big BBC fan and always have been. They are the best and

Hollywood only relies on its name. Cheers, Peter. Cool

Peter,

Sometimes it is hard to tell whether a movie tells the true story.

Spielberg made some nice movies,be it he can be over patriotic at times,too patriotic for Europe that is.
I liked "Saving Private Ryan",could not find much wrong with it.

Going back to "The train",the railjoints look very English to me but perhaps the French used it too in the forthies.
The claws between sleepers and rails have a typical English shape.
The loco looks like a converted German P8/Br 38,i am not too sure.
The bombing of the railwayshuntingyard does not show falling bombs,explosions seem to come from the surface.
Lancaster is a convincing locodriver,much more than Denzel Washington.

Cheers,

Paul.

Offline analogmike  
#19 Posted : 06 June 2018 15:33:58(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
the-train.jpg

Flapper
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline MaerklinLife  
#20 Posted : 06 June 2018 15:55:54(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
picture... Flapper

Just sad, that no one but a few train enthusiasts survived the boring movie it was...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 06 June 2018 22:10:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I liked the film, despite the mentioned issues.
Remember that a motion picture is first and foremost an economic endeavor to make money through entertainment.
To that end, they have to engage and appeal to a wide audience, and that includes the non-enthusiasts as well as the below average intellect (which is 1/2 the population). To that end, films in the US have a lot of explanatory dialog in them that is totally unrealistic and unnecessary in reality, but is there to inform the audience about facts or background. Then there is the flashy effects that are not realistic (notice how most every explosion tends to be a gasoline explosion with a bright yellow fireball?). It is about entertaining a wide audience and keeping them engaged. Heck in many films I'm always remarking about how unrealistic the street scenes are because in the real world there wold be a LOT of cars and trucks and the actors would spend a lot of the film stuck in traffic going less than 20mph.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 07 June 2018 06:31:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I liked the film, despite the mentioned issues.
Remember that a motion picture is first and foremost an economic endeavor to make money through entertainment.
To that end, they have to engage and appeal to a wide audience, and that includes the non-enthusiasts as well as the below average intellect (which is 1/2 the population). To that end, films in the US have a lot of explanatory dialog in them that is totally unrealistic and unnecessary in reality, but is there to inform the audience about facts or background. Then there is the flashy effects that are not realistic (notice how most every explosion tends to be a gasoline explosion with a bright yellow fireball?). It is about entertaining a wide audience and keeping them engaged. Heck in many films I'm always remarking about how unrealistic the street scenes are because in the real world there wold be a LOT of cars and trucks and the actors would spend a lot of the film stuck in traffic going less than 20mph.

This is one of THE main reasons I really prefer actual old movies, filmed at the time, rather than a more modern movie 'set' in a bygone time.

No matter how hard you try, you simply cannot get 100% accuracy of how it was, but if you watch a movie filmed in say the 1940's or 1950's, portraying that particular era, there is a much better chance of things being authentic.

Acknowledging of course that they could still have used the wrong train, the wrong car, track joiners (?!) etc. But other details, such as clothing, hairstyles, the way they talked, outdoor scenes are pretty much bang-on.

BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#23 Posted : 07 June 2018 06:39:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
And,Stephen,some like women with pale skin,others like women with dark skin,i like both!
I refer to political aspects of the movie for which discussion on this forum is a no go.

Denzel Washington may be a good actor to some,but in this movie he acts like a robot,hardly any real emotions,having full control all the time,knowing all the right answers,a typical American hero.

I have the best of both worlds.

My lovely wife has a 100% English Father, and a high-percentage Maori (native / indigenous) Mother, who I have to say, was an absolute stunner in her own day.

The result?, a perfect blend. What's not to like! Love Love

Generally I like Denzel Washington, and personally I felt he played the role very well, but I fully accept and respect your alternate view also.

I rarely set my expectations very high, and therefore am very rarely disappointed too much with a movie.

We have a saying., "Under-promise, and Over-deliver" (customer satisfaction) - so I take a movie approach, "Under-expect, and Over enjoy"

There are actors I cannot stand, that other people seem to foam at the mouth to get more of (but I'm not naming names) LOL LOL
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline NS1200  
#24 Posted : 07 June 2018 08:14:51(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Stephen,

My congrats with your lovely wife,i was in NZ in 1982 and know what you mean.

Overhere,hardly any history teaching at school nowadays,i have no clue what they get fed instead,perhaps trying to spell their own name?
Yesterday it was the 6th of June,that is D-Day,there was nothing in the paper,on TV,nothing!
As such,i dislike movie directors cutting corners and making their own versions of events because that only dilutes history further.
You read my comments about track joiners (?!) but this is something i notice,if the trackjoiners are English then the movie was shot in England,not in France,here comes the cardboard tank again,it is simply not right.
The goodscars look German/French to me,so do the stations,not too sure about tunnel entrances.

Ever seen "Soldier of Orange"?
The budget in 1977 was 5 million Dutch Guilders,an absolute record.
It is not a perfect film but it comes close to actual events.
The musical with a rotating stage and a real Dakota runs since October 2010,fully booked every time.

Sent you a PM.
Offline RayF  
#25 Posted : 07 June 2018 09:25:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Movies are very much a question of personal taste. I like some older movies and some new ones, and many in between. I judge each movie on my own viewing of it, and acknowledge that sometimes you have to see a film more than once to "get it".

I dislike many films from the 1950s because I find them long winded and very slow paced. They seem to take forever to develop the plot, and they rarely have clever twists to them. I prefer the fast paced action of more recent movies, even though some have taken it to extremes!

One development in movie technology that was simply not possible 50 years ago is the use of CGI. You can now represent objects or locations that no longer exist in ways that are totally realistic! It has even been extended to people recently. I was shocked when I saw Peter Cushing in one of the latest Star Wars films, years after his death!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline NS1200  
#26 Posted : 07 June 2018 09:53:43(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Ray,i see your point.

In Unstoppable,the hero train needs to take a sharp bend in a city area at high speed,wheels on the right side departing from the track,and hero driver and his helper still having a conversation.
Come on,give me a break!
The Jurrassic Park box of tricks opened up again,nothing to do with real life.

Unlike you,i like slow paced movies.
One of the best for me is the eternal The Good the Bad and the Ugly,which is extremely slow but having fantastic actors,great music,and great scenery.
It deals with the prime motive of justice,that the good will always conquer the bad,i believe in that.

Slow enough?
Offline MaerklinLife  
#27 Posted : 07 June 2018 10:45:02(UTC)
MaerklinLife

In Unstoppable,the hero train needs to take a sharp bend in a city area at high speed,wheels on the right side departing from the track...

Seing that curve at the beginning of the movie, knowing it is a movie about a runaway train, would you have expected anything else?
Offline Pmare4  
#28 Posted : 07 June 2018 12:36:20(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Quote:

Going back to "The train",the railjoints look very English to me but perhaps the French used it too in the forthies.
The claws between sleepers and rails have a typical English shape.
The loco looks like a converted German P8/Br 38,i am not too sure.
The bombing of the railwayshuntingyard does not show falling bombs,explosions seem to come from the surface.

Hi Paul,

"The Train" was actually shot on location in France - the rail joints may look English but they are indeed French.

The loco used were EST Series 11s 4-6-0s, which the SNCF classified as 1-230.B. (see here)

The bombing of the railway shunting yard was accomplished by bombs on the surface, not bombs dropped by planes - the yard was blown up in real life by the SNCF, who wanted to rearrange the track layout, and was filmed from the air for the film!

Quote:

The goodscars look German/French to me,so do the stations,not too sure about tunnel entrances.

The goods trucks are standard French vehicles of the time, for example, see this image of a PLM Type K: Link

The stations are also French as are the tunnels, as the film was shot on location.

regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline NS1200  
#29 Posted : 07 June 2018 13:40:59(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
In Unstoppable,the hero train needs to take a sharp bend in a city area at high speed,wheels on the right side departing from the track...

Seing that curve at the beginning of the movie, knowing it is a movie about a runaway train, would you have expected anything else?

A non movie train would simply depart from the track and go down,nothing like a roller coaster ride with the right side wheels in the air.

Offline analogmike  
#30 Posted : 07 June 2018 13:43:23(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Hi Paul,

"The Train" was actually shot on location in France - the rail joints may look English but they are indeed French.

The loco used were EST Series 11s 4-6-0s, which the SNCF classified as 1-230.B. (see here)

The bombing of the railway shunting yard was accomplished by bombs on the surface, not bombs dropped by planes - the yard was blown up in real life by the SNCF, who wanted to rearrange the track layout, and was filmed from the air for the film!

Quote:

The goods trucks are standard French vehicles of the time, for example, see this image of a PLM Type K: Link

The stations are also French as are the tunnels, as the film was shot on location.

regards
Peter

Thank you Peter,
I was about to post the same thing you just said with one addition: To simulate the wing guns firing on the Spitfire, Frankenheimer had them install strobe lights on the leading edge of the wings......Brilliant!

Burt Lancaster did all his own stunts. He actually learned how to operate a steam locomotive so he would look cool doing it on film. That's class.
Mikey

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline NS1200  
#31 Posted : 07 June 2018 13:45:44(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thanks,Peter,that is a relief to me.
Offline NS1200  
#32 Posted : 07 June 2018 14:03:57(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Mikey,

It once again shows what a great movie it is!

About the strafing of trains i should mention that it did more bad than good.
In The Netherlands dozens of enginedrivers were killed because of strafing,about each major railwaystation in Holland has a bronze plaque on the wall with the names on of railwaypeople killed,many due to strafing.
Dutch enginedrivers were driving Dutch trains,goods and passenger,not doing so would mean no income,no way to survive.
Also many passengers were killed in the attacks,they call it the price of freedom i believe.

http://farm8.static.flic...4616022_67efbc7917_c.jpg

Just an example.

And the plaque at Rotterdam Central Station:

https://www.4en5mei.nl/o...quette-in-het-ns-station

"Ter gedachtenis aan hen die vielen" means "In rememberance of those who fell".

The total number of victims for the Dutch Railways was close to 500.

Cheers,
Paul.

Edited by user 09 June 2018 10:21:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200