Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sgbrail  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2018 09:50:18(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
We have been having issues with our mfx engines not producing much or no smoke. We have about 12 smokers, most are new Seuthe models. When we run the engines on a track powered with our CS3 + 60101 power supply we have poor smoke output. This was also true when we had a CS2 and CS1 and appropriate power supply. When we run exactly the same engine on an MS1 + 60052 power supply we get fantastic smoke. Trying to confirm if we have a voltage problem, we have even fitted our Big Boy with 1 x #10 and 1 x #11 Seuthe units and we get the same results. It doesn't make any difference where the loco is on track, problem persists right on top of main track power feed.

The CS3 says it is outputting 18.5 Volts, and when we measure track voltage with a new digital multimeter we are getting between 8 to 9V from both track systems (I guess this is RMS). We are not electrically super experienced so maybe we are measuring incorrectly?

Does anyone know if there is voltage adjustment we can trim on the CS3?

Can anyone shed light on our smoker problem?
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2018 12:38:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sgbrail Go to Quoted Post

The CS3 says it is outputting 18.5 Volts, and when we measure track voltage with a new digital multimeter we are getting between 8 to 9V from both track systems (I guess this is RMS). We are not electrically super experienced so maybe we are measuring incorrectly?

The only way to measure the track voltage on a digital system is with an oscilloscope. The wave shape and the gaps in the waveform that the mfx system uses for the reply messages will foul up any DVM meter reading. Using a true RMS meter will also not give a true reading for the same reason.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2018 13:04:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I guess the MS1 outputs a higher voltage than the newer units. Is this also the case with a MS2? Mine gives me an output reading of 18.0V with one train running.

If you can't increase the voltage of the CS3 you may need to swap the smoke units for the ones that have a lower voltage rating.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2018 16:11:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Sorry if I sound a bit too basic and simplistic, but the first thing to check is how much smoke fluid you inject in the generator...Wink

2 ml max at a time. No more.
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mrmarklin  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2018 16:38:24(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Jacques solution is the simple one. But you’ve already tried that, right?

I would suggest that using a CS unit without a track booster is reducing power to the track as the unit itself takes quite a bit of power to run. Ten or twelve smoke units together are quite a lot.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline tiono  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2018 16:47:44(UTC)
tiono

United States   
I measured MS1 output using oscilloscope. It is 19.6 volt peak (39.2 Vpp).
While the output of MS3, which I believe should be designed the same as CS3, is 18 volt peak (36 Vpp)
MS1 produces higher voltage than MS3, although the difference is just a mere 1.6 V
As per my experience; 16-22V Seuthe smoke generators (no.11, 12, 23, 24) are fine with MS1, but some may not perform well with MS3. The 10-16V Seuthe (no.10, 20, 21, 22) perform very well with MS3.
Do note; in digital operation, the smoke generator is not directly wired to the rail, but getting the voltage from decoder, therefore the actual voltage (and current) going into the smoke generator will depend on the decoder as well.

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2018 17:18:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post
I measured MS1 output using oscilloscope. It is 19.6 volt peak (39.2 Vpp).
While the output of MS3, which I believe should be designed the same as CS3, is 18 volt peak (36 Vpp)

Those are about the numbers I would expect to see. There will be some variation in voltage because the output stages are different. If the CS3 is like the CS2 then it will be using an IC designed for motor driving applications. My memories of looking at the CS1 is that it used discrete transistors, but I will have to go back and look at it again, as it is quite some time since I investigated the circuit of one of those. The different circuit topologies will produce different output voltages, but the difference you quote would be about what I expect.

Certainly I would expect to use the lower voltage "digital" smoke units rather than the older "analogue" ones.

Offline Torstein  
#8 Posted : 03 June 2018 17:53:58(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
(not producing much or no smoke)

Little or no smoke have nothing to do with track voltage.

Check CV settings or filling procedure. Glare

By the way - CS3 60VDC has 18,4 V on track and 18,3 V when one loc is running. Wink

Torstein
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Torstein
Offline sgbrail  
#9 Posted : 03 June 2018 23:57:01(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
Thanks for all the replays, but as I said we have 2 different smokers fitted to our Big Boy and they both work great on the MS1 powered track but the #10 works poorly and the #11 does not work at all on the CS3 powered track. Same loco just lifted from one track to the other.

It's nothing to do with fluid volume/filling.

We have a 5 amp power supply so there is no shortage of current availability. We only run 3 to 6 locos at a time and not all are smokers.

Smoke output seems to vary between locos with the same Seuthe units fitted. We have a BR50 with a #10 fitted and it works reasonably well on the CS3 track, but all our locos smoke better on the MS1 track.

We think there has to be some difference between the MS1 and CS3 signal to the decoder that changes the smoke output. Not sure if CV modifications are possible for smoke and whether this would help, but if there is someone who could guide us through CV values for the smokers we could give it a try. We have not as yet delved into CV changes other than the simple accel/decel and max speed provided on the setup page of each loco on the CS3.
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2018 07:48:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
Little or no smoke have nothing to do with track voltage.
It depends on the track voltage and on the shape of the track voltage.
Make sure red and brown wires are not swapped - and red wire goes to B.
MS2 produces a lower track voltage than the CS2/CS3 because the MS2 has a bridge rectifier on the input side, the CS2/CS3 does not (the bridge rectifier in the CS2 is bypassed when using DC power). And power supplies are 18 V for MS2 and 19 V for CS2/CS3. The difference of 2+ V track voltage can be relevant.

For a two-rail user with an MS2 and a Trix loco the issue was resolved by adding a dummy MM loco to the loco list. With the dummy MM loco the track signal became asymmetric and the smoke generator received more power, but the absolute track voltage did not change.

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
2 ml max at a time. No more.
Depends on the smoke generator.
For H0 gauge Seuthe generators #10, #11, #20, #24 the limit is 0.2 ml, not 2 ml.

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I would suggest that using a CS unit without a track booster is reducing power to the track as the unit itself takes quite a bit of power to run.
Power is one thing, voltage another. IMHO an external booster should not improve the situation as long as the internal booster of the controller is far from the limit and fed with a switching-mode power supply.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mvd71  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2018 11:35:10(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Interesting, my BR64 has always been a hopeless smoker. I use the 7226 and 72270 smoke generators from marklin. The 7226 is brilliant, but the 72270 has been a mixed result. The Br64 and BR56 have not been good, but my earlier br55 has worked ok. I have always suspected the loco or decoder are the problem.

Cheers....

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2018 11:42:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I gave up smoking years ago lol
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 04 June 2018 12:29:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Interesting, my BR64 has always been a hopeless smoker. I use the 7226 and 72270 smoke generators from marklin. The 7226 is brilliant, but the 72270 has been a mixed result. The Br64 and BR56 have not been good, but my earlier br55 has worked ok. I have always suspected the loco or decoder are the problem.

Cheers....

Mike

The Br64 has a known issue with grounding the smoke unit to the chassis, as there is not a good electrical contact between the body and the chassis. This has been documented here before.

The Br56 may have the same issue.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 04 June 2018 18:02:19(UTC)
Goofy

I have seen Seuthe smoke generator works better with ac power on the track.
With digital decoder it translate to analog power to the smoke generator.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 04 June 2018 21:50:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
As already mentioned, you cannot use a digital (or analog ) multi-meter to measure the voltage on a digital track system to determine the actual real voltage. The DC settings expect a constant DC voltage - which digital signals are not due to the square wave nature and thus averaging of full voltage - vs 0 volt wave forms. The AC settings don't work because those are designed to specifically measure AC power in the 50-60 Hz AC mains range of frequencies that is sinusoidal.

And of course there is no MS3. I've used an MS2 (black one in my case) on some test track with my smoker equipped mfx Christmas loco from a few years ago and it smokes just fine.
As others have mentioned, the smoker is powered by an output from the decoder itself, I assume, but that remains constant in your experiment,.

If your moving the loco from one track (powered by CS) to another track powered by MS1, then a variable to look at is also the track and power to the track.
Have you compared changing ONLY the controller - that is try the loco on one section of track with the MS1, then unplug the MS1 from the track and plug in the CS into that track (no moving the loco) and then trying? In that case only the controller is the changing.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Jabez  
#16 Posted : 04 June 2018 22:16:00(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

FWIY my BR56 (37516) with the Seuthe unit smokes well, so it may be a problem specific to the unit rather than the series.

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline mvd71  
#17 Posted : 05 June 2018 01:43:02(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Interesting, I'll have to give my br56/64 some attention
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 05 June 2018 07:27:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
As already mentioned, you cannot use a digital (or analog ) multi-meter to measure the voltage on a digital track system to determine the actual real voltage.
Sure you can measure track voltage with a digital multi-meter - if the multi-meter has True RMS with a sufficient frequency range. Multi-meters for ten bananas do not have this feature and their AC range only works for sine-wave AC.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 05 June 2018 09:19:20(UTC)
Goofy

When you turn up the speed on the trafo the more power voltage on the track.
That means same way for the smoke generator...the more power voltage the thicker smoker.
When you increase the power on the smoke generator the heater it becomes.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline sgbrail  
#20 Posted : 06 June 2018 10:41:31(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
SOLVED – A big thanks to HO (from NRW wherever that is) for his input on this issue. Considering how complex the problem could have become, it was a matter of experimentation with the track wiring. Yes we had reversed the red and red/brown wires and by changing these to the correct format of RED to B on the underside of the track, like magic our smokers sprung to life and choked the room with smoke. Yaaaaaaaaah what a relief. But as suggested, the old analogue smokers are the ones that are working the best. The #11 still does not work, in the Big Boy, so it now has 2 x #10 and wow can it smoke.

We then set too and reversed the polarity on all our 61 turnout decoders. The m83 under table units were easy, but we had to pull up 18 under track turnouts to swap these also as these are the old model and polarity sensitive. This is probably were we went wrong in the first place as we have had to do this 3 times now as we progressed from MS1 to CS1 and CS2 and now onto CS3. Wecwere lazy and probably swopped the wires instead or rewiring all the decoders again. Each time we have had issues with this polarity problem!

But now I ask another tricky question. I thought I was still driving Marklin AC trains and therefore AC driven decoders, which to my level of knowledge should not have any need for polarity sensitivity, as AC has no polarity!! If they are actually AC how are they polarity sensitive? Or has Marklin now actually gone DC with all its polarity problems that AC avoided in the old analogue days?

Anyway, this is the first thing to address with any smoker problem. We now spend more time filling smokers than blowing whistles and its great. At last we have a use for the 1 litre Seuthe fluid we bought last year.

Thanks again for everyones comments, but especially HO.
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline skeeterbuck  
#21 Posted : 06 June 2018 12:33:37(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
SOLVED – A big thanks to HO (from NRW wherever that is) for his input on this issue. Considering how complex the problem could have become, it was a matter of experimentation with the track wiring. Yes we had reversed the red and red/brown wires and by changing these to the correct format of RED to B on the underside of the track, like magic our smokers sprung to life and choked the room with smoke. Yaaaaaaaaah what a relief. But as suggested, the old analogue smokers are the ones that are working the best. The #11 still does not work, in the Big Boy, so it now has 2 x #10 and wow can it smoke.

We then set too and reversed the polarity on all our 61 turnout decoders. The m83 under table units were easy, but we had to pull up 18 under track turnouts to swap these also as these are the old model and polarity sensitive. This is probably were we went wrong in the first place as we have had to do this 3 times now as we progressed from MS1 to CS1 and CS2 and now onto CS3. Wecwere lazy and probably swopped the wires instead or rewiring all the decoders again. Each time we have had issues with this polarity problem!

But now I ask another tricky question. I thought I was still driving Marklin AC trains and therefore AC driven decoders, which to my level of knowledge should not have any need for polarity sensitivity, as AC has no polarity!! If they are actually AC how are they polarity sensitive? Or has Marklin now actually gone DC with all its polarity problems that AC avoided in the old analogue days?

Anyway, this is the first thing to address with any smoker problem. We now spend more time filling smokers than blowing whistles and its great. At last we have a use for the 1 litre Seuthe fluid we bought last year.

Thanks again for everyones comments, but especially HO.

North Rhine-Westphalia

That maybe true when used as a stand alone item i.e. a single loop of track in analog mode. When used in conjunction with other circuits it has a polarity so to be in phase with other items in the circuit. That's why you need to be consistent with your wiring and follow the color codes as you found out.

Offline Crazy Harry  
#22 Posted : 06 June 2018 15:23:22(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   

My simplistic understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that digital is DC but with some imbedded pulses (i.e.: not pure DC) to send information to the decoders. When converting Maerklin AC locomotives to digital, you take out the old field coil and replace it with a permanent magnet which actually makes it a DC motor now. With all the semiconductors in the digital decoders etc., polarity is now important. Using the term AC to describe Maerklin (or other manufacturers') components currently seems to indicate that you are actually dealing with a three rail system, that is to say the locomotives or rolling stock requiring power have a slider/pick-up shoe. Whereas DC means two rail. The big advantage of three rail, in my point of view, is the ease of creating reverse loops (but two rail has modules that deal with that too).

Cheers,

Harold.

Offline sgbrail  
#23 Posted : 06 June 2018 23:25:44(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post

My simplistic understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that digital is DC but with some imbedded pulses (i.e.: not pure DC) to send information to the decoders. When converting Maerklin AC locomotives to digital, you take out the old field coil and replace it with a permanent magnet which actually makes it a DC motor now. With all the semiconductors in the digital decoders etc., polarity is now important. Using the term AC to describe Maerklin (or other manufacturers') components currently seems to indicate that you are actually dealing with a three rail system, that is to say the locomotives or rolling stock requiring power have a slider/pick-up shoe. Whereas DC means two rail. The big advantage of three rail, in my point of view, is the ease of creating reverse loops (but two rail has modules that deal with that too).

Cheers,

Harold.

Hi Harold, yes we are talking 3 rail systems here. All Marklin branded product is 3 rail, although the new controllers can also be used on 2 rail DC systems including their own 2 rail brand called Trix. As to what happens with the motor, I will have to leave to someone with more knowledge than me. But I would be interested in the correct explanation on this subject too.

Yes and we love the reversing tracks, so that we can drive in any direction on the same track at the same time without any special module, wiring or connection problems.

When I was 12 years old (50+ years ago) I had an inside loop of 3 rail 12V DC Hornby track and a loco, plus an outside track of 3 rail Marklin 16V AC, electrically isolated at the interconnecting turnouts. The Hornby loco was restricted to the DC track, while I could drive the Marklin locos on either the AC or the DC and actually drive quickly across the isolation turnouts to make a change from one to the other. Only a momentary short circuit while the pick up shoe crossed over was not a real issue. The transformer I used then is still working fine today, Oh for the good old analogue days.
Cheers, Dad & Dave
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sgbrail
Offline David Dewar  
#24 Posted : 06 June 2018 23:31:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
We are going a bit off topic but one advantage with three rail is the extra rail for the return which helps with interior lighting although we rely on the pick up for the other power from the track and this also needs to be cleaned. No doubt reverse loops is a plus without the need for extra wring etc.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 07 June 2018 07:10:25(UTC)
H0

All Marklin branded product is 3 rail
Z gauge and 1 gauge is two-rail, digital controllers are multi-rail.

The digital track signal is the same for two-rail and three-rail. Even the old CU 6021 could be used for three-rail (H0 gauge) and two-rail (1 gauge).
In the days of the CU 6020 loco decoders depended on the polarity of the track signal and using the 6020 for two-rail was potentially troublesome.

For locos with 6090 decoders the lights will shine properly only when red and brown are not swapped.
And even with latest digital locos this still applies to smoke generators.

For locos with digitally controlled smoke generators you typically need the #10 or #20 smoke generators. If smoke generators are directly connected to the track voltage, than #11 or #24 will usually be appropriate for digital operation. The track voltage of the MS2 with an 18 V DC switching-mode power supply is so low that #10 or #20 should not take harm in this scenario, but with #11/24 you are on the safe side - if they give enough smoke.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline skeeterbuck  
#26 Posted : 09 June 2018 14:05:44(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I use only the Seuthe #10 or #20 for all my locos using my MS2. The digital versions just don't give enough smoke for me. I use the smoke function continually and also have some older locos where the smoke unit is wired directly to the track. They're never off, yet I've never had a smoke unit burn out on me. Maybe I've just been lucky. Unsure

Chuck