Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline seanshintaro  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2018 22:02:44(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hello all,

If asking for repairs, usually, how long does it take to receive back?

I have sent my 36431/Class233 to Marklin thru my dealer in early Mar., and 2months already passed but
no news no nothing.
This is my first time asking for repair, and I have no idea how long it takes.
My dealer says it usually takes long, and no updates at all from Marklin but the day shop received is the news I can expect.

I had my cold mist smoke generator malfunction (not working at all no matter how me and the dealer tried) so we decided to send it
back to Marklin, because this model is limited production and the shop didn't have an alternative.
I also sent one email to Marklin customer service the day before I sent back if any tips or hints, and Marklin kept silence until 25th Apr. and replying;

"please be sure, that you hadn't filled in to much water (maximum 3 ml!). If this is correct and the model will not function, the only alternative will be that you send it to us for a check."

I did write in my email that I used distilled water with advised water quantity as instructed in the manual booklet, but yet, the reply from Marklin
which I waited for more than a month was like that....

I have no doubt that Marklin is one of the 1st class model train companies and customer friendly, always put priority first to the customer,s
not the directors interest and profit, so I believe there must be internet connection lag sending emails from the Netherlands to right next country,
or my English was C- and not enough to make them understand.

I would like to hear your experiences from repair service.

thank you
sean

Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2018 05:42:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
It would seem strange that Maerklin does not prioritize the service of warranty items before all others.
Yours is clearly a warranty case.
It also seems strange that they would not simply replace it, within a week or two.

Was the cold smoke ever working?

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2018 07:24:22(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Hi

I send something back to Marklin for repair every 3 or 4 months. I always send direct to Marklin and I send it tracked and signed for.

I usually get an e mail confirming the parcel arrived within 48 hours of its arrival in Göppingen. (They must get a lot of parcels to take that amount of time)
Items still under guarantee I expect to receive a max of 3 months later. No correspondence from M the parcel just arrives.

Non guarantee items.i expect to be away about 6 months. After 4 months there will be a letter/ e Mail with an estimate of cost which I have to agree. About two months later the repaired item arrives with the bill

Regards
Adrian
Offline seanshintaro  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2018 09:08:38(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
hi Kimball,

Thank you for your comments, and this is what I am being frustrated for..
It is not like a song "Last Christmas", but I bought a Marklin and very next day I gave it away..

The dealer didn't dare to put water to perform the cold mist as it was gonna mess up inside box after putting the loco
into box when bringing back home when I purchased, but tested a few seconds if it was functioning or not, and I remember that
slightly white smoke? came out so we assumed that it was functioning.
However, After I reached home and tested with recommended as booklet says, nothing happened.
Since it was and is totally new, and I agree to yours, if I were the PIC for this kinda claims, I would replace instead of repairing.
Or.... idling for repair can be an another method to make customers exhaust patience, and encouraging the person in a wrong way
to buy one more while waiting for the repair.

hi Adrian,
thank you for letting me know your experiences.
I am a bit surprised to know that Marklin yet needs max 3months, it is for me such a long time for Guarantee claims/repair.
It's not model train, but even a well known brand mechanical watch which has more than 300pcs small parts inside,
it won't take that long though sending back to Switzerland...
Or, mine was first sent to Göppingen and then Marklin sent to the real factory, somewhere in another location, so it takes longer than usual,
or as this cold mist smoke thingie is first function introduced by Marklin, and they might have found something that needs time to find out the cause???

Anyways, been 2months past already, so, just crossing my fingers to get it back in a month....

Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 12 May 2018 09:43:23(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I only have one experience with a warranty repair and not knowing any better I tackled it differently. A fairly new lok developed a fault, I tried to fix it and made it worse! I emailed my dealer (MSL) and told them the absolute truth. They immediately sent me a return carriage label to themselves and they sent it back to Marklin. Just over two months later it appeared back from MSL repaired and as new with a small note from M warranty in German that stated the unit had been "interfered with by strangers". I felt the lok ran better than before as it had been set up and tested on the service bench rather than the production line. There was no charge and they included the usual pack of Haribos !
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline seanshintaro  
#6 Posted : 12 May 2018 12:00:04(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hi Rwill,

thank you, too for sharing your experience.
My dealer in Rotterdam/ the Netherlands is putting customer as their 1st priority and even it is noting to do with the
dealer but the factory, the shop I go in Rotterdam always do their very best not to make customer disappointed, and this
is the only hope and fact that I still purchase Marklin from this shop.
So.. as far as I hear what fellows are telling, it is normal taking 2-3months no matter with or without warranty to receive back.

Indeed, I do too, have received small packet of gummy bears in the parcels from German companies and guess it is their practice :)
Haribo makes children happy, and so does adults.

Sean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2018 14:28:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I dropped my 39952 railbus and trailer off at Lokshop while on holiday a couple of weeks ago, so I will be interested to see how long it takes to be repaired and returned to me. I am expecting 2-3 months based on what has been said here previously about warranty repairs.

Offline seanshintaro  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2018 15:06:31(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hi KiwiAlan,

Sorry to hear that accidentally you dropped n damaged your insider model.
What I have learnt at this moment is at least 2months no matter with or w/o warranty.
Additional days, or weeks or even months will be expected due to Marklin worker's mood if under warranty,
because it won't create any revenue to the company but free of charge so not interested much but
want to do more for paid repair, IMAO.

Sean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seanshintaro
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 12 May 2018 17:36:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: seanshintaro Go to Quoted Post
Hi KiwiAlan,

Sorry to hear that accidentally you dropped n damaged your insider model.

Sean

I didn't drop it, the motor and decoder burnt out. I am not sure which happened first (I suspect the motor) but one took out the other. There was a distinct motor cooking smell and the cs2 reported a short circuit until we took it off the track.

The term 'dropped' is an english term to say I delivered it to Lokshop.

Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 12 May 2018 18:33:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Some years ago we had a Roco dealer close to Glasgow. If anything went wrong with Roco model they had a guy who could do the repairs and if a part was needed it came from Roco in a couple of weeks. Shop now has gone after the owner died but while there after sales service was great. There main sales and stock was Roco and Lenz and they were experts in both. No need to send back to manufacturer and wait for months. How things have changed.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Joe Meiring  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2018 19:05:09(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Some years ago we had a Roco dealer close to Glasgow. If anything went wrong with Roco model they had a guy who could do the repairs and if a part was needed it came from Roco in a couple of weeks. Shop now has gone after the owner died but while there after sales service was great. There main sales and stock was Roco and Lenz and they were experts in both. No need to send back to manufacturer and wait for months. How things have changed.

Very sad David- I well remember you warning me 7 odd years ago when I got back into M again that their quality is not what it once was....how true that warning was....
I think their communication with customers is sorely lacking as experienced above- 2 months without any follow up from M??!
Ah well, as you say how times have changed!
Joe M
Cape Town

Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline Rwill  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2018 19:38:14(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

You clumsy sod Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Offline seanshintaro  
#13 Posted : 12 May 2018 21:22:33(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hi Rwill,

I totally overlooked "off" in your sentence when read using my iPhone and thought you dropped your loco.
Thank you for your correction tho.

Offline Rwill  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2018 21:47:41(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
No No No.... yes

It was Kiwi Alan who did the dropping not me!

Who can remember where the expression "No No No ...... Yes" came from - The prize for the correct answer you are permitted to buy yourself a pack of Haribos
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 12 May 2018 21:51:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
No No No.... yes

Who can remember where the expression "No No No ...... Yes" came from - The prize for the correct answer you are permitted to buy yourself a pack of Haribos

Vicar of Dibley. Please fax over Haribos
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 12 May 2018 23:18:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Rwill,

I totally overlooked "off" in your sentence when read using my iPhone and thought you dropped your loco.
Thank you for your correction tho.

That's fine, no problem. I wasn't sure if it was a translation problem where having English as a second language meant you were unfamiliar with the idiom, so I explained it.
Offline Rwill  
#17 Posted : 13 May 2018 00:37:59(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
No No No.... yes

Vicar of Dibley. Please fax over Haribos

Well done sir! Jim Tropp in the Vicar of Dibley who looks very similar to me!

Cant fax over the prize the kids threw away the fax machine about five years or more ago

Dear Mods and OP......... Sorry.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 13 May 2018 02:58:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
No No No.... yes

No No No... Yes I remember, who is it ?, No Yes No......Yes

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Rwill  
#19 Posted : 13 May 2018 11:09:30(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
So just to clarify:

KiwiAlan whilst in Germany dropped in Lokshop. He dropped off the lok that he had not dropped.
Offline Drongo  
#20 Posted : 13 May 2018 12:02:47(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've had plenty of experience with Marklin service department. IMHO, they are totally swamped with warranty repairs. Marklin has been using inferior decoders and other components to reduce their costs and now they are seeing the bad results of this stupid decision. The usual turnaround time is 4 to 6 months and increasing. I write directly to Frank Mayer, the service department manager, and I'm lucky if he replies within a month. I believe a rocket needs to be used on the senior management at Marklin. Cursing Cursing Cursing
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Joe Meiring  
#21 Posted : 13 May 2018 18:14:44(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
You lucky to get a reply Greg!! Nought from my side ......
Joe M
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:03:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
So just to clarify:

KiwiAlan whilst in Germany dropped in Lokshop. He dropped off the lok that he had not dropped.

You mean Alan has dropped in Lokshop ...hope he is OK and somebody picked him up. lol

Anyway time Marklin got back to making good solid locos and save the warranty work.
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:57:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!
If asking for repairs, usually, how long does it take to receive back?
The longest time I had to wait was 11 and a half months. That was an Insider model, faulty ex works, and it should never have been shipped to a customer.

Most repaired items will be sent back in between 2 and 6 months.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 13 May 2018 23:10:24(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
..... repaired and as new with a small note from M warranty in German that stated the unit had been "interfered with by strangers". I felt the lok ran better than before as it had been set up and tested on the service bench rather than the production line. There was no charge and they included the usual pack of Haribos !

LOL. I received a similar note which I found funny ..... "Incorrect hand-damaged decoder has been replaced ...." which perfectly understates the fact that I placed the tip of a hot soldering iron on the solder joints at one end of the decoder, thus merging solder across two or more connections.
Stupid man .....

So for obvious reasons I paid two times (+ some) for my brand-new MSD3 decoder.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dominator  
#25 Posted : 13 May 2018 23:16:01(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hopefully Marklin extends the warranty period on all warranty repair items and gives a years supply of Haribo [ and a bottle of malt whisky ] for every month the Item is away from the owners possession.

If they had to do that then they would turn the stuff around very quickly.

An example of immediate response where not doing so would cost a lot more;-

On our flight back the NZ on a Qantas A380, the lift hand engine [ beside my wife ] started banging a couple of times after flying for about 10 minutes, then a few minutes later it [ or something else ] started banging again 10-12 times. F...k The pilot announce he was turning back and before you new it, we were over land again, and came in to land like normal except there were these yellow fire engines racing after the plane. The plane stopped and waited some time then taxied to the furtherest end of the building and waited 1/2 hour while engineers looked at the plane before we were let off.
We waited in the building over 2 1/2 hours before we were told we were getting on another plane to take us to NZ. WE then heard the flight to Singapore had been cancelled. Our plane was full and the Singapore plane must have been less full.

The airlines saved money by not giving us any refreshments during the 3 1/2 hour wait and by not having to put us in a hotel over night. We got home safe, very late, but happy customers

COME ON MARKLIN, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Drongo  
#26 Posted : 14 May 2018 08:13:22(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
You lucky to get a reply Greg!! Nought from my side ......
Joe M

Well I have never received any haribos in my many boxes from Marklin, and I am (& possibly was) a 25,000 euro customer per year. Marklin simply don't get it.!!!!!
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline seanshintaro  
#27 Posted : 14 May 2018 09:12:04(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hello Tom,

I do not have that enough patience honestly waiting for such a long time...

In my personal opinion, Marklin also should go ahead for "Repaired in China"
to shorten waiting time.
I am happy with this as long as Marklin QC is concerned if they ever keeping.
No matter where products are made or repaired, everything is same if Marklin does not care for.

Sean

Offline dickinsonj  
#28 Posted : 14 May 2018 14:24:10(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I didn't drop it, the motor and decoder burnt out. I am not sure which happened first (I suspect the motor) but one took out the other. There was a distinct motor cooking smell and the cs2 reported a short circuit until we took it off the track.

The decoder in my 39952 also failed after a week or two, but at least it did not cook the motor. When my decoder failed it caused my CS2 to immediately reboot if that railbus was on the track, so the motor never received power after the decoder died.

The wait times are even longer here in N/A, with my average being closer to 6 months in total, even if it is a new item under warranty. I just chalk that up to the problems that come from collecting German trains from so far away and hope to not need factory repairs very often.

Good luck and try not to be in a rush on this repair. I wanted that cool piezo smoke unit but now I am glad that it sold out before I ordered one. BigGrin

Edited by user 14 May 2018 19:37:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline seanshintaro  
#29 Posted : 14 May 2018 15:16:29(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hi Jim,

I have 39979, "Roter Flitzer" in 2017 model (without trailer), and with rail crank and break squealing sound are on, whenever start
hitting break, speaker sound gets distorted as if it's gonna be broken.
This happens even I adjusted volume from 255 to 150, so I guess something goes wrong with my loco decoder when those 2 functions are in active.
So what I am doing is to turn off rail sound before hitting break...

About repair, sending from the States shows N/A and usually it takes 6months... So I must be more patient then.
But what I still wish is exhausting cold steam instead of my patience from my loco...

Sean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seanshintaro
Offline jvuye  
#30 Posted : 14 May 2018 15:34:54(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
When I read all this thread , I thought : "Things have really gotten better at Märklin in the last 65 years"

At least, from time to time now, they reply to customers and even put a pack of gummy bears in the return packages.

In 1953, I was un-ceremoniously reminded that they wouldn't deal with customers directly, and "uberhaupt nicht auf Französisch"
Well ok, I was just 10 at the time and I would have loved to get the candies!BigGrin

In the meantime , it seems that getting spares is a lesser problematic exercise and.... I have long learned to fix everything by myself, and even made a business of that for a part of my life!Wink Wink

So who's complaining now?Laugh Laugh

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline seanshintaro  
#31 Posted : 14 May 2018 16:17:15(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
Hello Jacques,

How I wish I could fix and repair by my own like you!
My case should be software problem, and I have no idea what to do..
Nowadays, Marklin gives 5yr warranty for MHI models, (and I usually buy those), so I want to enjoy
this benefit.
If after expiry, I do not really dare to send it back to factory wait for months, but ask for help to my local shop.
sean

Offline dickinsonj  
#32 Posted : 15 May 2018 03:38:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

My case should be software problem, and I have no idea what to do..

sean

Sean,

Has this model done this since you first received it? If so it may have been incorrectly programmed from the factory. If that is the case you might try a reset on the decoder to return it to the original settings. If this problem developed during use I am guessing that the decoder may be defective. Either way your only option may be to send it off for that long repair process and hope for the best. Märklin could definitely use better quality control at this point in time, although overall I am quite happy with most of their products.

My problem is the uncertainty of whether I will get a good quality model or one that has to be sent back to Göppingen for repairs.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline seanshintaro  
#33 Posted : 15 May 2018 09:12:56(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
hi Jim,

Yes, I guess it was like that because where I adjusted was main volume only.
Or, the speaker could be the problem, but yet even with lower volume same situation, so you may be right,
decoder is defective....
This is not yet a big problem at this moment if w/o rail crank sound, and I do not want my loco
surrendered for 3-6months again either, I just keep mine here enjoy sometimes.

I am also happy with Marklin products so far, but not that happy with programmed sounds.
One steam engine, one diesel, and one electric are running together, for example, and when hitting break,
all of them have exactly the same break squealing sound....

Sean

Offline seanshintaro  
#34 Posted : 07 July 2018 21:16:17(UTC)
seanshintaro

Hong Kong   
hello all,

I finally got my Tiger back waited for 3months +.
While waiting, I purchased ESU BR232 Railion, and in my very arrogant opinion,
detail, sound functions, adjustable CVs etc, tiger has nothing good besides color.
ESU does have minor issues though new in box, yet repairing time is a lot shorter
than Marklin, say ESU usually repairs within a month, or simply exchange to a new
if the loco is bad?? enough.

Anyways, glad to have my tiger back, but honestly, dunno why but not that happy
as I was when I bought it.