Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2018 02:59:35(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I have Thunder box car set with factory installed interior lights but needs current conducting couplers. Don't want to retrofit current conducting couplers to loco as it likely restricts the loco to that car set. I am thinking to retrofit current conducting couplers to box car 4411 that has pickup shoe and tail lantern but want to check if that approach is prototypical. Pics appreciated.
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2018 04:41:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It should be possible to install a slider on one of the Thunderbox cars. You would just have to connect the slider to the preinstalled lighting.
Are you talking about the 43131 Set?
That set was designed for operation with the 36082 locomotive and the lighting could be controlled via one of the locomotive's functions.
I think that the cars are still the same as the versions without the factory installed lighting and it should be easy to install the corresponding slider and wire it to the lighting strip.
You would have to make sure to remove the current conducting couplers from the end cars, so that it did not connect with a locomotive that may have a grounded coupler.
The other possibility would be to install a 9V battery or other and a switch in the baggage car and power the lights that way.
Your idea of using a freight car to provide power is also possible, although I don't know what type of car they would have operated with such a train. I presume some routes may have had local traffic including freight on secondary lines.

Regards

Mike C
Offline QQQ1970  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2018 05:59:02(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
My train dealer strongly advises against installing a slider on one of the 43131 cars. The floor is smooth so the original slider extrusion cannot be properly secured inside the car and potentially causes ground short at turnouts. That's why the factory withdrew the slider and it has to hook to current conducting locomotive. The current 4313-4315 car set has no retrofit lighting option.

He suggests I can retrofit 4411 box car with current conducting coupler but I would like to check if that is prototypical before I go ahead.
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2018 08:19:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
I have Thunder box car set with factory installed interior lights but needs current conducting couplers. Don't want to retrofit current conducting couplers to loco as it likely restricts the loco to that car set. I am thinking to retrofit current conducting couplers to box car 4411 that has pickup shoe and tail lantern but want to check if that approach is prototypical. Pics appreciated.

Pefectly prototypical all the way through early ERA IV. Probably best with a little steamer like a BR 64 or BR 24

I think in Germany it's called "PzmG" ( Personen zug mit Güterbeforderung or something close to that)
Don't have a pic on hand but when I come accross it, I'll pass it on.

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2018 08:20:18(UTC)
H0

He suggests I can retrofit 4411 box car with current conducting coupler but I would like to check if that is prototypical before I go ahead.
Those Hobby cars use Hobby couplers. I don't remember if there is a simple way to add a NEM pocket for the power-conducting couplers.
But there are other freight cars with factory-installed rear lights and with NEM pockets. Those would be a better choice IMHO.

In era III/IV it was not unusual to have freight cars running with passenger trains (PmG passenger train with goods) or have coaches running with freight trains (GmP freight train with passengers).

Such a train would be prototypical.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline QQQ1970  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2018 00:20:59(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I just saw Marklin 29245 discontinued starter set that is a PmG.
Offline BR01097  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2018 00:17:21(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
An elegant solution for you to solve needlessly complicated wiring: the Germans ran a set of box cars labeled "Stückgut-Schnellverkehr" to handle express packages between baggage and passenger cars, modeled by Märklin in versions of the #4504 box car, which accepts pick-up ski #7076. 38804488_303260476910136_8763260170483531776_n.jpg#4504.jpg

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2018 04:57:07(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes, all combinations of all rolling stock are prototypical.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2018 07:54:26(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: BR01097 Go to Quoted Post
the Germans ran a set of box cars labeled "Stückgut-Schnellverkehr" to handle express packages between baggage and passenger cars
I never heard (and I don't recall seeing prototype pictures) of "Stückgut-Schnellverkehr" in PmG trains in regular service.
AFAIK those "Stückgut-Schnellverkehr" units were used in dedicated trains to increase the speed.

I do not see any LEIG cars on the picture. There are brown box cars in the train, but without the "Stückgut-Schnellverkehr" markings.
The picture shows the passenger train P 2342 on July 1st, 1961.
Since it is a passenger train (P, not PmG), the box cars will run from end to end without shunting during the train run. Most likely there wasn't any loading/unloading during the train run either.
There were special box cars for use in passenger trains (e.g. for mail) that had pipes for train heating and extra brake hoses.
Standard box cars between loco and passenger coaches would prevent train heating in the coaches and would impose speed limits on the train.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0